"Helimed 06"- Midlands Air Ambulance EC135 (G-OMAA)

Good morning!

I hope you're all doing well, I just wanted to say that I (and this build) haven't vanished off the face of the Earth!

Since my last post I have started back at university, have moved out for the first time, and now find myself on placement some distance away in on-site accommodation. As such, it's been a slightly busy period and one which hasn't allowed me to take my modelling paraphernalia with me.

Coincidentally, G-OMAA has made several appearances at said placement, albeit seen from a distance, as well as G-RMAA closer to the university.

I can't give a guarantee as to when more progress will be made but I am hopeful that the Christmas break will provide the perfect opportunity!

Thanks for your patience!

Best wishes, 😊

Sam

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

😃  I really enjoyed your musings, thank you for sharing the journey so far!! :D 

Hope you get back to this project in the fullness of time, and with that, wish you every success with your studies!

One of the AA's landed on a pub car-park about 300M away from my house on Tuesday 03/05/2022 - and I was inspired to attempt a similar project!

Just have to find a decently priced EC-135 now.... 

Tally Ho!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Russmeister 101 said:

😃  I really enjoyed your musings, thank you for sharing the journey so far!! :D 

Hope you get back to this project in the fullness of time, and with that, wish you every success with your studies!

One of the AA's landed on a pub car-park about 300M away from my house on Tuesday 03/05/2022 - and I was inspired to attempt a similar project!

Just have to find a decently priced EC-135 now.... 

Tally Ho!

That's very kind of you, I really appreciate your generous words!

They are quite remarkable flying machines aren't they, that sounds like quite an experience seeing them up-close. Would you be looking at 1:32 scale for the EC-135, or more of a smaller scale? I'm not sure how easy it would be to obtain now that they've stopped trading, but WhirlyBird Models did a good 1:72 add-on kit with the decals and a few resin extras. If you were looking at 1:32, I could see what I can do to help with the decals when they're done.

As for future progress, it has been a slightly full-on year with limited opportunities to return home to do some modelling. With any luck I should find out my exam results next week, and (fingers crossed) will then have about 5 weeks in which to crack on with this project and others sat on the "to do" shelf.

Best wishes,

Sam

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:50 PM, cathasatail said:

That's very kind of you, I really appreciate your generous words!

They are quite remarkable flying machines aren't they, that sounds like quite an experience seeing them up-close. Would you be looking at 1:32 scale for the EC-135, or more of a smaller scale? I'm not sure how easy it would be to obtain now that they've stopped trading, but WhirlyBird Models did a good 1:72 add-on kit with the decals and a few resin extras. If you were looking at 1:32, I could see what I can do to help with the decals when they're done.

As for future progress, it has been a slightly full-on year with limited opportunities to return home to do some modelling. With any luck I should find out my exam results next week, and (fingers crossed) will then have about 5 weeks in which to crack on with this project and others sat on the "to do" shelf.

Best wishes,

Sam

Hi Sam

I'm afraid my tired old eyes won't allow me to work in 1:72 scale any longer... so will definitely be looking at 1:32.  I've got all the kit to print decals myself (laser, so no faffing with top coats of film afterwards to waterproof them :D) but I suck at graphic design etc...   I'm a fairly competent scratch-builder, and I have a friend who is a whizz with a 3D printer... so I'm certain that something can be sorted there, if I can't build it.

As for seeing them up-close - I'm a 15 minute car ride away from R.A.F. Cosford - so I see this flying oil-leak clattering about the skies all too frequently, unfortunately.  

Best of British with your results, I am hopeful that you are successful!!

Tally Ho!

• 7 months later...

Hi Mike I am thinking of having a go at making the same Model Helicopter as a present for my son 

. Who has just got a job as a pilot with the West Midlands Air ambulance service. Do you know where I could source the Decals for the model please

cheers Dave S

8 hours ago, Dave Simpson said:

Hi Mike I am thinking of having a go at making the same Model Helicopter as a present for my son 

. Who has just got a job as a pilot with the West Midlands Air ambulance service. Do you know where I could source the Decals for the model please

cheers Dave S

Hi Dave,

That's wonderful news, congratulations to him!

If you are looking for decals for the 1:32 Midlands Air Ambulance, then I sadly don't believe there are any commercially available yet. There are, however, decals and extra parts courtesy of WhirlyBird Models for the 1:72 Revell kit (links to examples builds HERE and HERE). Sadly, WhirlyBird models appears to have wound their business up but private/third-party sellers might have some for sale?

As for the decals for this project, work on this build has been paused for quite a while now (sadly I'm away from all modelling paraphernalia for the majority of the year, and with little spare time in-between) so the decals won't be ready for use in this project for a good many months. I would like to offer the completed decal set when they're all completed but that could take a good while yet, I'm afraid to say.

Best wishes,

Sam