Boeing 747-346 Japan Airlines 1/144

As part of my ongoing 747 project to build each variant in  1/144 scale,the -300 is now my latest addition.

As there are no 747-300 kits available in that scale (well...there is the Kepuyan model,but it can hardly count as a 747,let alone an aircraft😉),I had to do it myself.

From my previous 747-400F build,I had a -400 fuselage and -200 wings left.

Mating these parts resulted in some serious surgery on the fuselage wingbox and the wing mounts.

First the wingbox had to be sanded down considerably to remove the wingroot and the front part had to be sanded to shape.

Then I had to cut off the lower part of the wing lip to fit into the slot on the fuselage.After some careful alignment,the wings were glued to the fuselage and the gaps that appeared were filled with plasticard and filler.

The flaptrack fairings had to be build up at the top to sit flush behind the flaps.

After all was filled,sanded and brought to shape,it was painting time.

Here I used Gunze white primer for the fuselage,which was clear coated after.It gives a very fine surface with a nice shine.

The grey windowstripe had to be mixed to match the photos I found on the net.Testors aircraft grey with a few drops blue and white.

The underbelly was painted with Gunze grey 315,thinned with Gunze leveling thinner.

A great product by the way.It makes the paint very fine and gives an even nice shiny surface.

The wings are painted Revell light grey 371 and the coroguard is my own mix of Tamyia metallic grey and light grey.

The engines are Welsh Models resin ones,as the Revell engines are the older version with different mountings.

The decals come from the mentioned Kepuyan crap...ehh kit and the are nicely done.

Some images I had to cut out carefully from the printed grey stripe.

The windows are from Authentic Airliners.

All sealed with Gunze Premium Gloss.

All in all,it was a lot of work to create a -300 with the parts used,its not 100% perfect but I am very pleased how it turned out in the end.

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Hi Alex

That is an amazing build - your -300 looks fantastic. You must be well satisfied with this wonderfully finished model after all your hard work.

I built a -300 a few years ago, but using a -200 kit and a spare -400 fuselage so that all I had to do was a "hump transplant" - which was probably much simpler than your conversion.

Brilliant job - well done

Cheers

Tim

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Timo said:

Hi Alex

That is an amazing build - your -300 looks fantastic. You must be well satisfied with this wonderfully finished model after all your hard work.

I built a -300 a few years ago, but using a -200 kit and a spare -400 fuselage so that all I had to do was a "hump transplant" - which was probably much simpler than your conversion.

Brilliant job - well done

Cheers

Tim

Thank you very much Tim.

The "hump transplant" is probably the most common way for the conversion.Some decal manufacturers suggest also this option.

I first thought,interchanging parts may be simpler but I was proven otherwise...😉

That's a magnificent job Alex and thanks for the description of how it was done.  I've never heard of the Kepuyan kit but I'll know to avoid it if I ever come across one!

Dave G

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

That's a magnificent job Alex and thanks for the description of how it was done.  I've never heard of the Kepuyan kit but I'll know to avoid it if I ever come across one!

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

36 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Great surgery! Fabulous-300 there.

:goodjob:

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

Hi Alex, super nice!

What 747-400 kit was it? Doesn't look like a Revell...which is something positive. 
Or did you use some correction for the nose? 

This is a nice livery and super neat build. Great work.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Wow, Alex…another fine build. You are most definitely a master surgeon! Nice work. 

paul

Thank you very much Paul.

11 hours ago, SAT69 said:

That's a great looking model. You achieved perfection, in my eyes, with the application of white paint.

Thank you very much.

I only used white primer gloss coated before and after decal application and slightly polished with Tamyia compunds

1 hour ago, JK_Models said:

Hi Alex, super nice!

What 747-400 kit was it? Doesn't look like a Revell...which is something positive. 
Or did you use some correction for the nose? 

This is a nice livery and super neat build. Great work.

Thank you very much.

Yes,its all Revell,except the engines.

Fuselage and landig gear are from the Revell 747-400 kit,the wings are from the Revell 747-200 kit,engines from Welsh Models.

I reshaped the nose by sanding down the "hump" above the radome,the windshield was glued in,puttied and that area sanded to shape.

Then a window decal was used,applied about 3mm lower than the kits clear part.

Otherwise it sits way too high,also the upperdeck windows need to be lowered a bit.

By using decals,its no problem.

Nice Alex. I have to say with the relatively little modifications you made it look really good to the point I wasn't sure that if it was a revell at all 😉

It always hurts me a bit to see beautifully painted 744's with that super odd-looking nose.

again: Brilliant model.

Julien

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JK_Models said:

Nice Alex. I have to say with the relatively little modifications you made it look really good to the point I wasn't sure that if it was a revell at all 😉

It always hurts me a bit to see beautifully painted 744's with that super odd-looking nose.

again: Brilliant model.

Julien

Thats true.

In my opinion,the "face" of an aircraft gives it its distinctive look.If there is something wrong,it can change (ruin) the look of the whole model.

Thank you very much again Julien

Edited by Alex1978

9 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Lovely model Alex. We’ll need a group photo of all your 747’s once you’ve completed the lot! 😃

Thank you very much.

I will try that,although I suspect that I would need a parking space to display them all in a row...😉😂

• Haha 1