Revell 1/72 BAF F-16A 349 Sqn

Despite being massively slow with other GBs I am in with the trusty Revell kit (not that I have built one yet). I saw my first Belgian -16 display at Church Fenton in 1985 where it blew the performance of the USAF -16 (which had displayed earlier) completely out of the water, along with my 12 year old mind. I have no idea what machine was used for that display, but I know they used "FA-17" from 349 Sqn at the 1986 display so I will be modelling that. After some of the issues I have had with ancient IM and resin kits (not to mention melting my Nimrod 🤦🏼‍♂️), I am looking forward to one which will hopefully go together fairly easily 🤞. The kit itself I bought from Jason on here who kindly put two kits inside, but only one set of decals as I had different plans for this kit initially. Luckily I have an old Italeri sheet from somewhere in the stash plus the Modeldecal sheet which should serve me well.

Dave

IMG_20210618_163023

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 6

welcome along with a great build and what sounds to be a great scheme that has some importance to you.

Unfortunately I've never seen an F-16 in the flesh much less one flying...... other that a couple off in the wee distance in Singapore.

Good luck with the build and it is nice to have a nice straightforward one to clear the mind from other more problematic builds!

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, rafalbert said:

I saw my first Belgian -16 display at Church Fenton in 1985 where it blew the performance of the USAF -16 (which had displayed earlier) completely out of the water, along with my 12 year old mind. I have no idea what machine was used for that display, but I know they used "FA-17" from 349 Sqn at the 1986 display so I will be modelling that.

According to Scramble’s show report, the Belgian F-16A at Church Fenton in 1985 was FA-34, which according to F16.net was with 349 squadron. There was also an F-16B there on static, FB-13 that can be seen there in a couple of photos online. Unfortunately I can’t see any taken of FA-34 that day. Irrespective of particular serial, it’s a great choice of subject.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Filler said:

According to Scramble’s show report, the Belgian F-16A at Church Fenton in 1985 was FA-34, which according to F16.net was with 349 squadron. There was also an F-16B there on static, FB-13 that can be seen there in a couple of photos online. Unfortunately I can’t see any taken of FA-34 that day. Irrespective of particular serial, it’s a great choice of subject.

Thank you for that, I will start searching for photos of FA-34 in 1985! 👍

I took a quick look and there's not a lot out there I could find, but here's a couple of slightly grainy images and a couple of its tail behind another F-16, all from the Mildenhall Air Fete  in 1985.

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/001378141.html

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000539885.html

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1195121

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132337785@N03/34258159821/in/photolist-qKAgS4-Uch2nX-it7s2c

and one more from Chievres in black and white

http://bdd.deltareflex.com/cns_affiche.php?image=25764

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have made a start, made a bit of an error in not attaching the upper cockpit section to the upper wing section prior to attaching it all the the lower section 🤦🏼‍♂️. I am building a "what if" RAF 3 Sqn machine alongside this so will try this assembly method with that kit.

IMG_20210701_151126

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Now the Bison is finished I can crack on with my 16. It has taken more filler than I expected (no doubt due to my meagre skills) and I have messed up the join between the two upper sections which I will approach differently next time. The tail is not attached to make it easier for painting, and I am leaving off the tailplanes at the moment for the same reason. Looking at the instructions I am surprised that there is not much more to do before I can start applying paint so hopefully i will have more updates shortly.

IMG_20210723_140902

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, I am done building for a while. Since my Nimrod incident, I have managed to screw up every model I have built so I am walking away from them for a few weeks and not participating in any more GBs until I can get past this. Good luck with your builds guys and thank you for letting me play up until now 👍

that's a real shame, sorry to here your builds haven't been going to plan.

Hopefully a break can help restore your mojo, we all seem to have these periods

But modelling is a powerful drug so know you'll be back and building better that ever.

Look forward to seeing you back when you're ready.