Westland Lynx HMA 8 - Airfix 1:48

Good day to you all on this gloriously sunny day (well hoping it is where you are, certainly 'tis 'ere!). Here is my latest completion, a 1:48 Lynx HMA 8 of 815 NAS embarked on HMS Zomeerzet. Not much extras added, just an Eduard fret for the seats and straps. That set really does make a difference and improves the kits versions no end. I didnt opt for the full internal (or external) set as it was really expensive and the only detail I thought I really wanted was the riveting on the posts behind the aircrew. Build was quite nice and easy, there have been alot of comments about fitment. It is very tight especially joining the fuselage but with a lot of checking and minute whittling I managed to get it all to fit really nice. Does take a bit of work but it is worth the extra. I added a few extra protrusions and it became really hard to handle without knocking something off so I mounted her on a slab of the finest walnut (Thats what it says on the tin of stain anyway!). To add extra interest I added a plastic card base to look like the deck of a ship. I wanted to go for the Somerset but having to drill out the deck lock grid put me right of so I based it on #4 spot on Illustrious. The markings and ring tie downs are not wholly accurate but it is just there for a touch of 'authenticity'. I armed her up with a drill Sea Skua and a depth charge, as I wasnt a 'Bombhead' I dont know if this depth charge is depicted as a drill or live round. I am hoping its a drill or it will make for an interesting flight 😄. I also had a go at the intake guards, building them up, they looked ok but standing back now I think they are quite overstated. I dont really like them so I may get the intake fod covers out and just cover them up. I didnt want to do that in the first place because she is dressed ready for flight, tied down with 4 nylons, just waiting for her aircrew to finish off their slap up brekky in the ACRB.

20210617_205943

20210617_205951

20210617_210106

20210617_210030

20210617_210208

20210617_205958

20210617_210042

Trying to show some underside detail in this pic, forgot to take a picture before securing the aircraft to the base!

20210617_210240

20210617_210302

20210617_210143

Apologies for the poor photos, I use my phone camera and the lighting was a bit poor. Remarkably after over 40 (yes 40 ......cripes!) years of modelling, this is my first completed 1:48 Helo!

Cheers now and stay safe!

Bob

• Like 34

Hello Dolphin,

Excellent presentation of the whole setting.

Regards, Dirk.

• Like 1