Another DD445 Fletcher 1/350 Tamiya

I've been looking around this forum and have seen this ship built, to very high standards, by a few members. I thought that I'd like to give it a go, I will probably struggle to match the other builds, but I like to think I'm getting better.

I've added the Eduard PE set, which I have to say has quite a lot of detail and some VERY small parts.

So, here is my start.

Jon

Not sure how accurate the paint colours are, but I'm fairly pleased with how thew camo pattern has turned out.

p?i=68c751761cd6cf74ce12679f68d787c6

Superstructure dry fitted and is looking ok. Some more PE to fit and then paint with another two shades of grey.

I quite like the PE Radar, much finer than the plastic offering.

p?i=9d411260ff3e2522e08b54e6b84c3788

I was going to replace the moulded chains with metal, but had a change of heart. The moulding is ok and will improve with a coat of paint.

p?i=0eac5876e8d38d02115063dd1d77f1f0

So, that's it for now. Next I'll be working out how to paint the camo on the superstructure. Can't see how I'll mask it for spraying, so I'll probably brush paint. Which given how small the areas are, shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

did you use the Tamiya paints and guide.

I did, not sure how accurate it is, but it looks ok to me. 
I’m sticking with acrylic’s because of the low odour, far too many complaints from ‘er indoors’ if I use enamel. Plus I have started to get quite a selection of colours and makes.
Very interesting link, thanks. 

It does seem to me that some ships had quite complicated schemes whereas others just had a coat of grey or blue slapped on. I get the impression that they weren’t always painted as per naval dictate, especially given the hard work they did, in some fairly remote parts of the world.

I’ve got an early Flower Class Corvette in the stash, which is supposed to be in “Mountbatten Pink”, that’ll be a sight to see. :surprised:
Jon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Great job on that Camo scheme - looks terrific

Rob

Thanks Rob. I have to say I’m quite pleased with it too. Definitely worth the agro of cutting out masks.

Jon

I’ll post some piccys later, but have started to cut and bend the railings that border some of the superstructure. The deck railings I think I’ll do last as they will undoubtably get in the way.

I don’t know why I didn’t realise earlier, but although railings are supplied with the kit, they are not pre-cut to length, in any shape or form. 
So, I’m having to try to measure how long a length will be, to include any bends and curves, bit of a fiddle but surprisingly satisfying, when I get it right.
Another thing I didn’t think of at first. Was to make bending easier I should heat them, allow them to cool, (Annealing) which takes the ‘spring’ out of them. Bend them to shape, heat them again and plunge them into water. (Tempering) Makes the job SO much easier.
I’m learning.

Back soon.

Jon

Edited by Faraway

I umd and ahd about buying one of these, but now am so glad I did. Curved PE is no longer a series of straight lines.

Jon

p?i=be87829a209779dff086b12fa3f30d3c

A bit of railing work with lots more to do.

p?i=23872fe385eb0dcab903541fd0c4c4cc

p?i=7dab7f859649f843b500193239b721e7

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

Looking good so far,

I'd not thought of  rolling set but looks like it could be handy,  

Expensive, but well worth it. And you only buy it once.

Jon

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

However, my wallet wants a word with you re: rolling set.

:whistle: nothing to do with me mate. I have little or no control over my credit card, it does what a credit card has got to do.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sorry I've been a bit lacking, posting WIP photos, but to be honest everything went together so quickly that I'd finished before I realised. 

Anyway, I'll post some photos in RFI.

Thanks to all of you who have followed and commented, you never fail to inspire and encourage me. 

See you on the next build, I'm not telling what it is at the moment and it won't be for a while, I've got the kit but just need to get some PE and 3D printed guns.

And I'm going away to sunny Cornwall for a week. First holiday for nearly 18 months.

See you all soon.

Jon

• Like 1

Lookin good!  I have one of these to build (dang that playing of World of Warships).......with fiddly bits as well.  Painting the super structure has me scratching my head as I'd rather mask and spray than hand paint.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Lookin good!  I have one of these to build (dang that playing of World of Warships).......with fiddly bits as well.  Painting the super structure has me scratching my head as I'd rather mask and spray than hand paint.

I sprayed the hull, both camouflage colours and the red. And then sprayed the superstructure with its light grey shade and then hand painted the darker pattern. Trying to mask such strange and small shapes would, for me at least, been nigh on impossible.

Jon