Anybody familiar with Flightline Engineering products/service?

upnorth

Hello all,

I'm in the process of gathering up research and aftermarket goodies to use when I get to work on my Astra 1/72 Avro Canada CF-100 kit.

I was looking at the quite extensive Obscureco resin set, but recently this 3D printed set from a company I'd never heard of, Flightline Engineering, came to my attention:

http://www.flightlineengineering.com/item_72_cf100_update_set.html

At the moment, it seems it's out of stock and the company is not taking new orders due to health issues. That's not too much of an issue as I'm not in a hurry.

Does anyone have any experience with this company that you could speak for their quality of products and service?

Thanks in advance.

I have the CF-100 set and it is very nice.   The Obscureco set is fine for the cockpit section however the wheels are fiction.   the Flightline set's wheels are wonderfully done however you only get the main gear legs and not the nose leg in the set   The seats are acceptable in the Flightline set but I prefer to use a resin copy of the Aeroclub seat.

Cheers, Tony

ps  service was spot-on as I had pre-ordered the set before production.

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

I have the CF-100 set and it is very nice.   The Obscureco set is fine for the cockpit section however the wheels are fiction.   the Flightline set's wheels are wonderfully done however you only get the main gear legs and not the nose leg in the set   The seats are acceptable in the Flightline set but I prefer to use a resin copy of the Aeroclub seat.

Cheers, Tony

ps  service was spot-on as I had pre-ordered the set before production.

Thanks, it's good to have the feedback from first hand.

The wheels were one of the things making me hesitate on the Obscureco set, they just didn't match any pictures I'd seen of Clunk wheels.

One thing I really liked when I saw the Flightline Engineering set was the choice of intake cones. I'll be building a European based Mk.4, so the deicer vanes look to be a must have from all the pictures I've seen of Eurpean based Clunks with the exception of the Belgian ones.

I did find the lack of nose gear leg in the Flightline Engineering set a bit curious given that nose wheels and main gear legs are part of the package.

• Like 1

One thing I really liked when I saw the Flightline Engineering set was the choice of intake cones. I'll be building a European based Mk.4, so the deicer vanes look to be a must have from all the pictures I've seen of Eurpean based Clunks with the exception of the Belgian ones.

The European-based RCAF CF-100's were all MK.4B's in which the de-icing vanes were standard.  The Belgian CF-100's were all Mk.5's and therefore were not fitted with the vanes.

The wheels were one of the things making me hesitate on the Obscureco set, they just didn't match any pictures I'd seen of Clunk wheels.

I emailed Chris and pointed out that the Obscureco wheels were basically copes of the Hobbycraft plastic. - and he agreed they should've been changed.  In comparing the two resin sets mentioned and only going by online images of the Flight Engineering set, I would go with the Obscureco set for the cockpit interior as it gives that critical structure between the crew while the FE set didn't appear to offer it. 

However, if I may, give a bit of warning as the OP mentioned that he intended to apply the resin to the Astra CF-100.  The Obscureco set says it was intended for the Hobbycraft kit and they meant it!  It does not fit well with the Astra kit ... ask me how I know.  🙂    

Intending to do the Astra kit with the Hobbycraft as a donor, I ended up with Hobbycraft plastic as much more than just a casual donor.  It supplied both halves of the fwd fuselage while the Astra kit supplied the wings, canopy and the entire rear portion of the airframe.  Hobbycraft incorporated  certain location assists in the fwd fuselage that made using the cockpit interior and the MLG much more challenging than I was prepared for.  Fortunately, Hobbycraft did an excellent job of cloning Astra's fwd fuselage and externally, both are virtually identical.  If you're interested, my summary of  the build & RFI can be found here.

Scott

• Like 1

That being said, I should have stuck to the OP's question.  Yes, I have purchased from Flightline Engineering.  I have his 1/48 B-29 super set.  It was worth every penny.  It is beautifully designed and perfectly cast.  I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again.  Especially if he comes out with CF-100 detail parts in 1/48.

Cameron