Eduard Bf 109....

10 hours ago, Longbow said:

“We’re here to help...

Kit Buyers Anonymous... 

Toll free number....

1-800-Oh-I-Need-That

Group sessions, every Third Tuesday of the month...

Newcomers, and experienced purchasers welcome.”

;)

And there I was thinking you'd relieve me of them....😏

• Haha 3

Canopy interior painted,  masks worked ok!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sure I could probably add handles etc but.....lifes just to damn short!

Ready for primer...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The really pressing question has to be....

How the chuff does one find anything on that abomination of a bench!

Is the pigs bladder still being knocked around??

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

If only I could pass them all off to a good home...

I tried selling some of mine back when there were model shows, I thought at £10 that was reasonable seeing what Hasegawa price them at now but not any interest at all.  Any kits that I did sell generally went for half of what I had paid for them after some haggling so I gave it up as a lost cause. :unsure:

12 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

As for the Bunny club, last one of those involved artificially ears a stick on tail and attire not designed for a cold winter...🤫

I wish, makes a 15% discount and extra p/e and decals seem so......dull.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I tried selling some of mine back when there were model shows, I thought at £10 that was reasonable seeing what Hasegawa price them at now but not any interest at all.  Any kits that I did sell generally went for half of what I had paid for them after some haggling so I gave it up as a lost cause. :unsure:

I've got shut of some via Ebay it's just......boxing the flipping things up and then trips to the post office! :huh:

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I've got shut of some via Ebay it's just......boxing the flipping things up and then trips to the post office! :huh:

I know that problem, plus my garage was beginning to look like Hannants packing department with all the boxes and bubble wrap, just too much hassle. :unsure:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I know that problem, plus my garage was beginning to look like Hannants packing department with all the boxes and bubble wrap, just too much hassle. :unsure:

I know exactly what you mean, I've a car buried in there somewhere too....!

• Haha 2

Progressing slowly....

A couple of iffy seams filled around the front of the cowling and then primed!

spacer.pngThought I'd break out Mr Mahogany for this one...

Black is my usual "go-to" for a primer but sand over black isn't ideal, so thought mahogany might work nicely...🤞

Just undecided as to the next move.....lighten some areas pre paint or add some bare-metal effects and hairspray before painting....🤔

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

A couple of iffy seams filled around the front of the cowling and then primed!

Is that an iffy seam on the top of the engine covers?  Looks like there is gap there?  Have you fitted the hinge insert?   I opened my 109F-4 to make a comparison with the Hasegawa 109F-4, a few differences but nothing to get excited about.  Well one minute I'm dry fitting parts and before I knew it I had accidentally opened a bottle of extra thin and the wings were glued up, then I did that test of the new Quickboost exhausts and now the fuselage is just about ready to be glued up and attached to the wings.  Problem now is SWMBO, not happy with my retired life as a modeller started decorating the dining room and as usual was making a pigs ear out of it,  I stepped in to offer some advice and somehow She's watching telly and I'm sanding the door frame??? 🙄  Not helping 109 production at all!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Is that an iffy seam on the top of the engine covers?  Looks like there is gap there?  Have you fitted the hinge insert?  

Had me going for a minute there Bob!

I see what you mean, it looks huge! Thankfully it's just the shadow cast by the hinge section.

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Problem now is SWMBO, not happy with my retired life as a modeller started decorating the dining room and as usual was making a pigs ear out of it,  I stepped in to offer some advice and somehow She's watching telly and I'm sanding the door frame??? 🙄  Not helping 109 production at all!

Yeah, never ever offer advice! The stock response is, if you think you can do it better...

To which I'd like to reply well actually... but I'd sooner continue doing the job I'm already doing, thanks. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Yeah, never ever offer advice! The stock response is, if you think you can do it better...

To which I'd like to reply well actually... but I'd sooner continue doing the job I'm already doing, thanks. 😉

I never had the chance to fully offer the advice, just had to be quick at catching the sanding block.  You would think I had learned to keep mouth shut by now but it would still need to be sorted out at the end of her....attempt! :fraidnot:

Back to the modelling, I'm glad I wasn't seeing things with your 109, my Eduard F-4 seems a good fit. :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

Pretty poor show modelling wise this last weekend.

Unfortunately I work at the back of the garage under the east facing window....most of my modelling tends to be first thing of a morning....try modelling in the greenhouse and you'll get the idea! :phew:

Anyway, had hoped to start throwing some paint at this thing only to discover the one shade of blue I didn't have was the one I wanted,  typical!

So that's the paint delayed by a week..

Experimenting, as ever, on the current kit I've decided to spray a little aluminium on the wing roots, leading edges and forward fuselage in preparation for weathering...🤞

spacer.png

What's the worst that can happen....

Had a play with the undercarriage legs and added brake lines. Not fitted entirely correctly but hey-ho.

Made some eyes out of super fine wire drilled the legs and superglued those into position then threaded a slightly heavier gauge of wire through the eyes and left to be attached to the back of the hub.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Little too prominent and the originals would have been strapped on but, it's my 109 and I'll do it my way! 

Thanks for looking 

Darryl 

• Like 4

On 19/07/2021 at 07:40, Jasper dog said:

Made some eyes out of super fine wire drilled the legs and superglued those into position then threaded a slightly heavier gauge of wire through the eyes and left to be attached to the back of the hub.

Blimey Darryl, you'll be doing brain surgery next! :nod:

On 20/07/2021 at 20:56, modelling minion said:

She is looking great Darryl.

I usually spray a metallic undercoat and weather back to it, it is a technique that works very well as you are actually doing what happened on the real thing.

I like your cabling on the undercarriage, looks very neat.

Thanks, still not sure how I'll make it work short of a marathon, hairspray, paint, chip, dryer, mask, paint and chip session. But as they say where there's a will there's a way...🤔🤞

The brake lines arn't quite right but it was an idea and more secure than the strapping i tried. If I'd had some lead wire that would have worked better as it conforms to the shape 

On 20/07/2021 at 21:17, Retired Bob said:

Blimey Darryl, you'll be doing brain surgery next! :nod:

Yeah but I'd need to know which foot to operate on!

Sure this was supposed to be a quick, relaxing build....:frantic:

Thanks again chaps!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Underside painted, not totally successful but its blue!

In my haste to get something done I did my old trick of forgetting a key stage in the hairspray technique.....the hairspray layer! :doh:

spacer.png

So much for that plan!

Mig RLM 78 down, lightened with a drop or two of white, not terribly precise unfortunately as my H&S was spitting and spluttering at ever opportunity. However it's the underside and and its unlikely to be noticed! 🤞

• Like 3

Just a quick query for anyone familiar with H&S airbrushes, and referring back to the previous excuse about a spitting and spluttering airbrush.

The contents of the cup aren't supposed to be bubbling up around the trigger are they!!

To my eye it looks like the chrome plating has started to fail where the nozzle sits? 

I'd guess that is possibly not going to help when it comes to a spluttering airbrush. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Does anyone else have any experience of such or perhaps recommend someone that can overhaul it.

Thinking it might be nice to get the whole thing properly cleaned and serviced...

Thanks and apologies for being off topic!

Darryl 

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd guess that is possibly not going to help when it comes to a spluttering airbrush. 

This is definitely where the problem starts. It is a PITA with the H&S, that is the seal between the nozzle and the air brush body. I suggest a Q-Tip and something like Mr Tool Cleaner or lacquer thinner and see if you can remove it. No more aggressive mechanical scrubbing should be needed. I will be surprised if the chrome is lifting or, in fact, if it is chromed at all. Possibly just the brass body with some residual chroming. Always ensure the surfaces between the body and the nozzle are immaculate. The smallest detritus on these faces leads to bubbles in the cup. Always try to have the paint cup clean and dry, or at least clean thinner, before removing the nozzle to prevent getting paint on the surfaces and always wipe clean before assembly. For me the weak point with an otherwise fine air brush.

I pulled my H&S apart for the photo and some staining seeping through 🙄.  I might experiment with the thinnest smear of beeswax on this face, which should not be needed. Edit: I did not use beeswax. Just some residual paint from a previous strip down. Cleaned off. All assembled. Good to go.

H&S_Cleaning_1

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Updated information
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Ray_W I'll have another look tonight. At a first look it appears just like chrome plating over brass, the plating has started to flake away revealing the brass.

The most aggressive substance I've tried on it so far is airbrush cleaner with a Q tip.

I'll delve further asap.

Cheers

Darryl 

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

At a first look it appears just like chrome plating over brass, the plating has started to flake away revealing the brass.

Yes looks like it with your airbrush. You can see on mine that there is very little chroming on that surface. If the chrome is coming off then that will be a problem because I think that surface is part of the main air brush body. I see no replaceable seat with my Infinity. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Yes looks like it with your airbrush. You can see on mine that there is very little chroming on that surface. If the chrome is coming off then that will be a problem because I think that surface is part of the main air brush body. I see no replaceable seat with my Infinity. 

Pretty sure it's the chrome plating flaking off on my airbrush but as you say, yours appears more like straight brass. Tbh I don't see any advantage to having it plated rather than plain brass...

I've left it to soak nose down in a airbrush cleaner, see if that helps.🤞

Sometimes you feel things conspire against you to prevent completion of a GB! :wall:

Cheers 

• Sad 1

The airbrush is still spitting a bit but its probably as good as it'll get, glad I'm not trying a mottle job!

(Excuses out of the way and onto the model!)

After last weekend's episode with the underside its onto the top side...

spacer.png

Blue masked with tape and panzer putty, great stuff but does have its limitations....

spacer.png

...it moves/slumps!

Remembered this time to hairspray the the natural metal areas prior to painting! :frantic:

spacer.png

Mig RLM 79 base than lightened with a few drops of white.

spacer.png

Masking worked quite satisfactorily, particularly considering the blue even after a week still seamed tacky,  no idea why.

Onto the interesting part, chipping.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Considering the conditions in N Africa, I could probably chip further but after a while the hairspray sets and becomes more difficult to chip. This leads to a more aggressive approach to breach the surface to get the water in creating less subtle effects.

(Tried to concentrate on the well used areas and panel edges).

Whilst the results are far from perfect I think I can say I don't hate it.

Once the weathering starts it'll look better with the dark panel lines etc.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next job will be the white fuselage stripe and then a gloss coat. Whilst a gloss coat isn't essential I'm finding the paint a little fragile. Tried weathering a gear door with an ak enamel wash and it started to lift the acrylic paint....:hmmm:

Thanks for looking in

Darryl 

• Like 4

Managed a little more bench time! :frantic:

White stripe painted and chipped.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Prop and spinner painted to!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Restrained,  what's restrained? :hmmm::giggle:

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Restrained,  what's restrained? :hmmm::giggle:

It's the sand blasted look, (am I allowed to say blasted?)  Looking very good Darryl, I have managed to escape from the decorating for a few hours,  I hope to update my threads as well.

Perhaps it's the humidity that's affecting your paint, it's been over 60% on this side of the Pennines. :idea:

• Like 1

On 01/08/2021 at 21:30, Retired Bob said:

It's the sand blasted look, (am I allowed to say blasted?) 

My thoughts exactly,  the prop wash must have been like a sandblaster.

Hope you arn't too distracted from your decorating chores!

No idea why the blue remained slightly tacky and then started lifting with a wipe of enamel wash and thinner, new one on me! :hmmm: 

Looking forward to seeing how your pair come out!

• Like 1