What's better than one Diana? Twins! - FINISHED

Exhausts have been final painted, assembled and test fit.  I'm really happy with how they have turned out.  I'm glad I opted for the resin exhausts.  I did have to do a little bit of sanding along the top of the barrels towards the back as they were barely interfering w/ the vertical stab protrusion, but it literally only took a minute to provide the necessary clearance.

Overall shot of the pair.

51425843319_6784cbcfca_c.jpg

Detail 1

51425843199_0b528071cf_c.jpg

Detail 2

51425079646_a670fc1b5b_c.jpg

• Like 3

Got the main colors down.  Not sure how I feel about the ADF...tried mixing a few drops of metallizer in w/ the gunship & haze grays to give them a little of the "Have Glass" effect.  Didn't quite pan out like I hoped.  I need to see them outside though before I decide if I want to mess with it more, or say screw it, paint the black tail and area around the canopy and call it a day.  Both birds still need the radomes painted.

51439522420_24a4e46315_c.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

well we won't go into your music choice (though on a turntable is bound points..... now if it was Floyd...)....

.... now they are both looking very nice! :thumbsup:

DSotM ended up being next in que.  Followed by a little Rush and Kansas....it was a very prog Sunday morning.  :D

• Haha 1

Here is the result of the walkway painting yesterday morning.  They have both since had landing gear installed and have been gloss coated.  Decaling will commence this week with the intent of flat coating and armament this weekend just before the finish.

51466907344_4cd7d16d6f_c.jpg

• Like 3

I rescheduled my plans for the night after learning of the passing of a legend.  RIP Lewis.
51471404210_1367f432bb_c.jpg

The trickiest decals are on.  It "should" be smooth sailing from here.  The Hasegawa decals are a bit on the thick side, so it's taken a fair bit of Gunze Mr. Mark Softer to persuade them into the panel lines...but they are adhering well and the semi-gloss finish means they should blend in really well once the overcoat is down.

51475036346_659d3631ac_c.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Sad to report they are going to miss the gallery.  They will be finished up shortly though.

ok.... off to the naughty room with you!!!  :nono:     Well the KUTA GB that is...... with the rest of us! :D

A shame you could finish them in time, but all is not lost. Thank you for joining in, they will be fine models when completed, hope you enjoyed the build.

No KUTA for these.  I need to get them out of the way so I can get going on the F-4s.  :D

Gear wash, paint the formation lights/pitot and fix a couple oopsies...which is going to require the airbrush.  :doh:  Almost there though.

51494895715_872135498e_c.jpg

• Like 2

I'm calling these done.  They didn't make the gallery, but such is life.  They got completed, what more can I ask for.  I ended up using a bit of creative license in regards to the loadout on the Dutch MLU & the paint for the belly drop on the Italian ADF.  Some bits turned out well, but unfortunately I made an botched job of the intakes.  I had the brilliant idea to use some Silly Putty as a mask to plug off the intakes for painting the greys....well it really didn't want to come back out so I ended up tearing up all the white paint inside.  Patched it up a bit w/ a brush...but they are still ugly.  At least it's not something that you will see usually whilst sitting on a shelf.  Oh well.  With both of them built that means I have an opening in the stash.  :D

Thank you to those that followed this build.  :cheers:

Anyway, the pics.

51494640338_3b22b6699c_c.jpg[

51495344820_194bdd315a_c.jpg

51495128429_22433d2d71_c.jpg

51495345375_78dee56f28_c.jpg

51493621652_85218caa0a_c.jpg

• Like 5

• helios16v changed the title to What's better than one Diana? Twins! - FINISHED

they both look really nice in the photos, well done on completing them!  :thumbsup:

I do like the dark panel around the cockpit on the Italian bird, looks very smart.

I think at your age it's time to put the silly putty away before you do some real damage! :D

I hope you enjoyed the build, a pleasure to have you along as usual..... now off and play with you Phantoms!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

These are fantastic Chris, I love how you've captured the different finishes, and the decal work is just great.

Thanks.  These were fun little builds that I tried to not get too carried away with.  It also let me experiment with mixing some metalizer paints in with the top coat of the ADF to try to get a semi-metallic finish that is seen on the Have Glass & aluminum dope finishes.

• Like 1

Nice work on this pair.  Having done the early version of J-002 I have to admit that the artwork on your tail looks better.

Having one unmade kit and a set of the Italian decals it's possible I might go down that route.

Mike

• Thanks 1