Hasegawa 1/72 Mitsubishi F2A prototype

My apologies for a late arrival, real life getting in the way of the serious business of kit construction

Stand by for sprue shots and synopsis of build plan

Miko

Edited by Miko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Miko said:

My apologies for a late arrival, real life getting in the way of the serious business of kit construction

Stand by for sprue shots and synopsis of build plan

Miko

I'd say you're almost right on time, you planned build sounds interesting

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My usual habit recently is to build 'out of the box' with only limited additions and very few after market parts, for me modern kit production is like a little miracle of engineering and I'm constantly surprised at the level of detail the manufacturers manage to get into such a tiny little thing, I'm also a firm believer in not taking measuring devices to my kits, it's just asking for trouble, if I measure enough I will find inconsistencies with various references who's accuracy I cannot confirm, I build these kits as a distraction and a little bit of fun so I can fly these things around the room making all the relevant noises as I complete various missions around the house, this usually involves strafing the cat! not sure why, she's never done me any harm???

This build is Hasegawa's 2014 edition of their Mitsubishi F2A representing the prototype, I have a 'thing' for prototypes and research aircraft, makes them a little more interesting that just grey jets

Hasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-1.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-2.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-3.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-4.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-5.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-6.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-7.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-8.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-9.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-10.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-11.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-12.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-13.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-14.jpgHasegawa-Mitsubishi-F2a-15.jpg

So, to the workbench, lets get this thing started! 

Miko

Edited by Miko
for clarity
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Seeing as I’m doing a line jet F-2A Mind if I follow along. It’ll be a while until I can get to mine so any notes will come in handy. 

Awww no, I was hoping to follow you? Ha!

• Haha 2

Not one for super detailing cockpits, although I'm in awe of those who do! they really are mini works of art!

Assembled the four part cockpit, it's simple black and grey with decal instruments, then for me an unusual horizontal split fuselage assembly being one piece underside and two piece top side trapping the cockpit in between, fore and aft undercarriage bay bulkheads, these being the mounting points of the landing gear, unusually again for me little polly caps for mounting the horizontal tail planes, reminds of Airfix working features from decades gone by!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Miko (really needs to get on!)

Good to see you're off to a great start.

I can say due to seeing this build and some shameless tempting (from someone who will remain nameless!!!!!) I have a 1/48th version of one of these currently one the way to me, plus some special decals as well.

I think following this build may seriously tempt me to make a start on mine if I can put my build to bed quickly enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thing goes together really well, a remarkable piece of engineering, I'm using Mr Cement for the first time, it's pretty scary painting solvent along the joins hoping capillary action will work it's magic! All the while my trusty Revell Contacta stands ready to step in if all else fails!

spacer.png

seems to be holding well while the intake and nose gear bay assembly is prepared 

spacer.png

Here's one consideration I have, the air intake assembly has a 'blank' plate at the rear so as to not give that 'see through' effect like kits from many years ago, I'm considering removing this to give the intake more depth, a peek in there would then would allow me to see the forward bulkhead of the main gear bay, if I paint it medium grey it will look a little better than just the 'blank' the kit offers

spacer.png

Miko (enjoying the precision of Japanese kit manufacture)

• Like 3

A simple intake cover would solve all your problems, you can easily make one up from tin foil.

I made mine here from the foil cover from a wine bottle (which is harder to get here these days), shaped and painted, it did the trick just right.

DSCF4539-M.jpg

Liquid glue can be a real blessing, though you have to be careful you don't knock over the bottle.........I've done that twice of late with that Tamiya Super quick drying stuff, luckily it didn't do any real damage!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 01:08, trickyrich said:

A simple intake cover would solve all your problems, you can easily make one up from tin foil.

An elegant solution for sure, but. . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

f2A-2.jpg

Dunno, what do you think? Maybe a lighter grey on the interior bulkhead

Miko (needs to catch up progress with posting)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miko said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

f2A-2.jpg

A light grey or maybe a touch of cream mixed into the white ? 

• Like 1

as to your query in the other thread, the engine face can be seen looking into the intake. 

But to be honest it's not something to get too worried about in 1/72nd, it's more of a concern if you're building a 1/32nd beast like me, then it is a wee bit of an issue.

I agree maybe try using a dark or medium grey instead of the black. I think the black cakes it stand out a wee bit too much, test it with some other colours. Plus the intake trunk should be a dis-coloured white in colour as they become a bit grubby over time from poor engine fitters climbing in and out over time checking the fan face blades.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I agree maybe try using a dark or medium grey instead of the black. I think the black cakes it stand out a wee bit too much, test it with some other colours. Plus the intake trunk should be a dis-coloured white in colour as they become a bit grubby over time from poor engine fitters climbing in and out over time checking the fan face blades.

It is Dark Gull Grey, same as the cockpit grey, maybe it's my photography? I might even get away with 'off white' as you suggest.

As for weathering, I've seen some amazing examples of that dark art! but my efforts usually end up being unconvincing so I go for the 'showroom' finish

Miko

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Miko said:

spacer.png

f2A-2.jpg

To be honest, that's what I've always done with my Hasegawa F-16s and F-2s: cut the back off and replace with it a back-plate painted in a very dark grey.  I've found it works fine for 1/72

Chris

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

To be honest, that's what I've always done with my Hasegawa F-16s and F-2s: cut the back off and replace with it a back-plate painted in a very dark grey.  I've found it works fine for 1/72

Chris

I gone with white forward main gear bay bulkhead, even medium grey was too dark, the effect I have now although not perfect is satifactory

Miko

• Like 1

Still amazed at the detail and fit of this kit, careful parts preparation with a slight sand and a scrape means no gaps or filler!

MF2a-3.jpg

MF2a-2.jpg

MF2a-1.jpg

Time to get some paint on the airframe before hanging the landing gear underneath 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Installing the teeny tiny idda bidda undercart gear was a severe test for my eye sight and nerves! So, after taking a brave pill, half an hour yoga to get my 'zen' going I took a last deep breath and reached for the super tweezers!!

Everything is pretty much where it's supposed to be being nice an symmetrical, I did break one of the retracting struts while cleaning up the little sprue tabs but after assembly a dab of MrCement sorted it just fine.

I need to get the canopy on but needed a cup of extra strong sweet tea and a lie down before committing myself to affixing transparencies! Ha!

spacer.png

Miko (knows how a micro surgeon feels?!!?)

Edited by Miko
  • Like 1

she's coming along nicely..... thou I think you're tempting fate with all those wee bit hanging off!! Most of us "sausage fingers" would surly knock half them off while painting! :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 22/07/2021 at 01:05, trickyrich said:

she's coming along nicely..... thou I think you're tempting fate with all those wee bit hanging off!! Most of us "sausage fingers" would surly knock half them off while painting! :D

It's always a difficult to decide, paint first then cementing could be a problem or assemble first and have an awkward painting task, then there's always the accidental damage for one and paint touch up for the other.  This one is overall white, so assembly first made more sense, I'll give the undercarriage bay contrast with a matt finish 

Miko  (about to fit the three part canopy)

Edited by Miko

• 2 weeks later...

Decalophobia means I painted the red extremities, I never manage to get decals to edge fit properly.

The colour match of MrHobby 86 'red madder' and the decals is really good, there has to be close cooperation between Hasegawa and MrHobby. . . and indeed Mitsubishi!

spacer.png

Mit-F2a-2.jpg

Mit-F2a-3.jpg

. . . . and some black!!

Mit-F2a-4.jpg

Mit-F2a-5.jpg

Time to decal, then adding the fiddly bits then little detail painting!

Miko (muddling along)

• Like 2

Don't fault you there.  I usually try to paint markings if they can be easily masked...generally less hassle.  Which means I'm in for a doozy on this GB as both the falcons basically have murals on the tails.  :rofl2:

• Like 1

Very nice!!!!  :thumbsup:

With marking/panels like that masking & painting really is the best way to go, it just ends up look so much better and without all the stress decaling can cause!

Can't wait to see her finished.

• Greg B locked this topic