Italari 1/12 Renault RE20 Turbo

More work on this she now has all her wheels, one of the many really cool details of this kit is they even went to the trouble of molding the wear indicators on the tyres.

IMG-7607.jpg
IMG-7605.jpg
IMG-7606.jpg

IMG-7613.jpg
IMG-7612.jpg
IMG-7611.jpg
IMG-7610.jpg
IMG-7609.jpg
IMG-7608.jpg

• Like 2

Some of the exhaust and turbo parts primed, and the worst decal applied I'm not going to say that was hard but it did involve quite a few expletives and quite a bit of nail biting (they needed cutting anyway)
IMG-7631.jpg
IMG-7635.jpg
IMG-7634.jpg
IMG-7633.jpg
IMG-7632.jpg

• Like 2

So did some work on the turbos and exhausts and added another decal (these big decals are a real pita I think I in the future I may cut big decals into smaller ones.

I'm really peed off I've got to take the rear suspension all off as I've forgotten to add the air cooling ducts to the disks, gthey were a pain in the first place.

IMG-7654.jpg
IMG-7653.jpg

IMG-7657.jpg
IMG-7656.jpg
IMG-7655.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 3

Well the turbos are installed (what a pita) loads more plumbing to add, and of course (I'm really dreading this) the headrers. Added a couple more decals to the fuselage soon be able to add the pontoons permanently.

PSX-20210730-192723.jpg
PSX-20210730-192801.jpg
IMG-7684.jpg
IMG-7682.jpg

PSX-20210730-192830.jpg

IMG-7683.jpg
IMG-7680.jpg
IMG-7681.jpg

• Like 2

Added those headers (if I had hair I wouldn't have now) they needed loads of heating and bending to get anywhere near fitting.

IMG-7698.jpg
IMG-7696.jpg
IMG-7695.jpg
IMG-7694.jpg

IMG-7700.jpg
IMG-7699.jpg
IMG-7697.jpg

• Like 5

I didn't realise the pontoons on these cars floated (they are mounted on a leaf spring of some sort, at least that's what it looks like to me)

Not sure thats correct.

By 1980 the side pontoons and underside of an F1 car (as pioneered by the Lotus 78 in 1977) formed a significant part of the aero package and I would have thought that they were firmly fixed to the main tub to be able to transmit any benefit.

The sliding skirts on the outer edges were there to seal the sides of the car forming a tunnel under the car which basically sucked the whole car down to the ground, this would not be possible with 'flexible' pontoons.

Malc.

You can see the leaf things I was talking about on the side of the skirt in the pics to follow thinking about it I can see you are right, so what are they for.

Hi all nearing the end, it says on the box removable covers to show detail, well it took me near on 2 hrs to get those side skirts to look anything like good fitting. I can imagine the conversation oh let me show you all the detail, by the time I got the skirts off they would have lost the will to live so the skirts will be staying on (shame after all the work that went into the turbos)

IMG-7731.jpg
IMG-7732.jpg
IMG-7733.jpg
IMG-7734.jpg
IMG-7735.jpg
IMG-7736.jpg
IMG-7737.jpg
IMG-7738.jpg
IMG-7739.jpg
IMG-7740.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 1

So it looks like the springs are to push the sliding skirts down, and allow you to push them up and down, there should be a feature on the skirts that engages with these springs.

The full size cars had a simillar feature to keep the skirts pressed to the ground during the race, the teams had clips that held the skirts up for transport and moving the car to the start line.

You are certainly cracking on with this, you will have it finished in the time it takes me to prep one 1/20 car for paint!

Malc.

Edited by Malc2

Work progresses on the RE20, on the last leg now. Bit peed of with the instructions re the seat belts if you follow the instructions your seat belts will go round the seat nearly twice so now I need to alter them and they were a pita the first time.

IMG-7748.jpg
IMG-7749.jpg
IMG-7750.jpg
IMG-7751.jpg
IMG-7752.jpg