Italari 1/12 Renault RE20 Turbo

Hi all since I've shelved the RR Balloon car I've bought this.
I know it's the old Tamiya kit but don't know much else (other than watching with awe silver 911's build of the engine of this) its supposed to be here on Monday, I can't wait.

To save disappointment I would just like to say this will be no where near the greatness of Ron's unfortunate build (I really wish that hadn't happened, what an inspiration that build was)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

To save disappointment I would just like to say this will be no where near the greatness of Ron's unfortunate build (I really wish that hadn't happened, what an inspiration that build was)

Much as your sentiment is very kind mate...this is your build...and anybody that compares your efforts to mine...is missing the whole point of this hobby.

Do your own thing...and enjoy yourself.

I will be following with interest...as I almost brought this kit at the time I won mine on Ebay.

Have at it mate :)

Ron

Work begins on the Renault RE20 Turbo, I think I'm going to enjoy this, my first F1 car, looks quite complex and well detailed.

IMG-7246.jpg
IMG-7247.jpg

IMG-7248.jpg

IMG-7251.jpg
IMG-7249.jpg

IMG-7253.jpg
IMG-7252.jpg
IMG-7250.jpg

• Like 2

Off to a great start and I can't wait to see more. I try to remind myself that Ron and the other extraordinarily talented builders here didn't begin that way. I had a breakthrough on that front with a Renaissance Ferrari 250 TR kit that has a photoetch frame for a vacform windscreen. Both parts have nasty complex curves that go in several impossible directions at the same time. But the instructions, written by the guy who also builds Renaissance kits for sale, say "have courage, this is not easy but I managed it." I made a mess of the windscreen frame but now I feel like I share something with a professional builder. 

First disappointment with the Renault RE20 Turbo kit all these screws, springs and nuts are all in the same bag, when I bought the Mefistofeles it came with this case (ignore the ships rigging parts it what ive been using it for since) it just goes to show how manufacturers cut corners.

PSX-20210626-203640.jpg

• Like 1

The level of detail in this kit is awesome I love the way they've done the working suspension (not even left the first page of the instructions)
I decided to jump ahead a fair way on the instructions and mak a start on the engine.
Talk about detail it even had the gearbox casting number There are 28 parts to just those cylinder heads, the pulleys all work I've barely started the engine if this is what F1 kits are like I think I will be building lots more.

IMG-7270.jpg

IMG-7272.jpg
IMG-7271.jpg

IMG-7274.jpg

IMG-7278.jpg
IMG-7273.jpg

IMG-7277.jpg
IMG-7276.jpg

Just to point out this is not a reboxed tamiya kit (just looked back over Ron's amazing build )and the tamiya offering has the engine and gearbox as separate parts.

Edited by kpnuts

Work on the RE20 continues, ive barely started the engine, I'm pleased with the way the weathering on the fuel lines look.
IMG-7304.jpg
IMG-7305.jpg
IMG-7306.jpg
IMG-7307.jpg
IMG-7308.jpg
IMG-7309.jpg
IMG-7310.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK so you may have noticed I've not posted for a week, well the house insurance doesn't like people posting on social media when you are away.

We were in Scotland last week visiting my missus very poorly father.

We went on a walk up screel hill (they call it a hill, it's more like a small mountain) it was well worth the climb though the view was nothing short of spectacular.

I recon you could see for 30 miles in all directions (and that's not on a clear day)

IMG-7415.jpg
IMG-7412.jpg
IMG-7414.jpg
IMG-7413.jpg
IMG-7411.jpg
IMG-7410.jpg

Anyway back to the build more work done on the suspension and a start on weathering the front engine casing, lot more to do on this, for some reason my usual methods are not working I usually find mixing talc with the paint or sprinkling it on gives the white highlights I want also I generally add burnt umber to get a burnt on from heat oil effect none of which seem to be working here. I don't understand as I've used these methods for years and they've worked every time, can't think what I'm doing different, dementia I recon.

IMG-7407.jpg
IMG-7405.jpg
IMG-7406.jpg

IMG-7408.jpg

More work on the RE20 the ht leads are very soft rubber tubing onto which you are supposed to push these very hard vinyl plug caps, totally impossible so my answer get some copper wire file the end down so the rubber tube fits in then push the vinyl caps on the wire (at the thicker end) then slide the cap onto the tube.

IMG-7484.jpg

IMG-7482.jpg

IMG-7483.jpg

IMG-7488.jpg
IMG-7487.jpg
IMG-7486.jpg
IMG-7485.jpg
Those nuts on the suspension roots caused more than a few swear words what a pita (can't tell you how many times they ended up on the floor) a real trial of patience.

IMG-7489.jpg

IMG-7490.jpg

• Like 4

OK so we all know yellow is a pita but as a lot of this is yellow I thought I would spray some of it (I have to say I'm really pleased with the outcome)

IMG-7519.jpg
IMG-7518.jpg
IMG-7517.jpg
IMG-7516.jpg
IMG-7515.jpg
IMG-7514.jpg

those brake disks were a bit of a disappointment fit wise the twin discs would not go together, ther is a shoulder the outer disk is supposed to slide over (it didnt) but a little work with a dermel (by hand not in the dremel)grinding disk persuaded it to fit.

IMG-7513.jpg
IMG-7512.jpg
IMG-7511.jpg
IMG-7510.jpg

• Like 2

OK first off (as with everything in this kit) either the locating holes are too small or the locating pins are too big either way on the rear suspension it is really important to drill parts 342L and 343L holes out with a 1.8 mill drill like this.

IMG-7545.jpg

Or you will end up with the problem I had with getting it off without snapping the pin that it goes into off as it will not go fully home if you don't drill it out.

The pluming on this is a nightmare (I should have labeled all the pipes at the start of this build) I am constantly having to go backwards and forwards through the instructions to find which pipe goes where, lesson learned.

IMG-7550.jpg
IMG-7549.jpg
IMG-7548.jpg
IMG-7547.jpg
IMG-7546.jpg

• Like 1

This kit was originally released by Protar which explains 1. The mad attention to detail and 2. The mad way that the detail don't fit where it should. 

It's looking good, one of the crazy F1 breed from back when F1 was fun. 

Hi all the instructions tell you to leave 2.5 mm of the stud sticking out of the hub and thread the wheel nut onto that unfortunately the narrow part of the hole  into which you are supposed the thread the studvont is recessed 3 mill into the nut, my initial thought was to sand 3 mm off the nut thus bringing the thread able area forward, however the nut is tapered (as is the centre of the wheel) in the end I decided to drill the nut out so the hole was the same all the way through then drill that out 1.4 mm and thread that onto the stub, worked a treat.

IMG-7581.jpg
IMG-7582.jpg

IMG-7587.jpg
IMG-7586.jpg
IMG-7585.jpg
IMG-7584.jpg
IMG-7583.jpg

IMG-7588.jpg

IMG-7590.jpg
IMG-7589.jpg

The skirts are just placed there for a look see as there is loads more to do before they are finally fitted.

I'm really pleased with how this is going, I wonder if protar did any more of these F1 kits and if they can still be had on ebay and such.

• Like 2

Thats coming together nicely.

Yes, Protar did.

From Memory:-

RE20 (re released by Italeri)

Ferrari 312B3

Ferrari 312T (re released by Revell)

Ferrari 312T3

Ferrari 312T4

Ferrari 126C2 (re released by Revell)

Alfa 179C

Alfa 179

McLaren MP4/2c - (to be re released by Italeri end of this year - hopefully!)

Fiat 1500 806 (re released by Italeri)

Fiat Mefistofele (re released by Italeri)

Malc.

PS the protar versions all now go for stupid money on the bay.

Edited by Malc2