PV-1 Wheel & Bomb Bays

TheFlogger

Hello All!

At the moment, I am building a 1:48 Revell PV-1 Ventura. She will be  one of planes located in Attu. So, will be in 2 tone blue+ white undersurfaces.

Revell suggests that wheelbays and bomb bay should be be zinc chromate. But somewhere I had read NAVY never used zincc chromate on wheelbays and bomb bays on 3 tone camos.

I will be very happy if someone enlights me.

Best wishes,

Flogger.

Not sure I've ever heard that one before, as there are numerous photos of Avengers and Helldivers in the three (actually four) tone camouflage with tinted zinc chromate or interior green bomb bays, and Helldivers had tinted chromate or interior green wheel bays, while Avenger wheel bays were in the surrounding undersurface color. I would also imagine naval aircraft would definitely have primer on all surfaces to arrest the effects of exposure to salt air/spray.

My guess would be untinted zinc chromate primer in the wheel bays and bomb bay, with the inner surfaces of the landing gear fairing doors and the bomb bay doors in the undersurface color or possibly chromate primer. You might shoot a query to Dana Bell or Tailspin Turtle.

Mike

Wanna see something to make your head spin? Here are two walk arounds of the same RB-34. Note the colors of the interior sections look to be two different colors! One WA taken indoors and one outdoors, and who knows what flash/filter/film was used? Just goes to show...

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/venwalk.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Mike you forgot to @Dana Bell and @Tailspin Turtle .

No, I didn't; I figure they are both pretty busy with projects, and I didn't want to bother them. I figured the poster could send them a query if he wanted, so that's why I included their usernanes so he would know who he could ask- I do appreciate your covering for me, though! :thanks:

Mike

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Wanna see something to make your head spin? Here are two walk arounds of the same RB-34. Note the colors of the interior sections look to be two different colors

Hi Mike,

Not to rain on your Parade, but the RB34 (NZ600) in the link in your post,

was a Lexington built to RAF Lend Lease requirements (hence RAF type

Interior Colours etc), in us with USAAF prior to handing over to the RNZAF,

so the colours may/may not be accurate for a USAAF/USN

This link will take you to some interior shots by Dave Homewood (Former RNZAF),

on his RNZAF Forum, here in New Zealand

RB34/Ventura NZ4600

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Mike,

Not to rain on your Parade, but the RB34 (NZ600) in the link in your post,

was a Lexington built to RAF Lend Lease requirements (hence RAF type

Interior Colours etc), in us with USAAF prior to handing over to the RNZAF,

so the colours may/may not be accurate for a USAAF/USN

This link will take you to some interior shots by Dave Homewood (Former RNZAF),

on his RNZAF Forum, here in New Zealand

RB34/Ventura NZ4600

Regards

Alan

Yep- I figured it was  built for lend-lease, so the colors would most likely be MAP colors for RAF aircraft; my main reason for posting the photos was to show how different colors can look, depending on any number of factors. Truth be told, the interiors colors looked like RAF grey-green primer, not what would have been applied at the factory for a USN contracted airplane. Guess I could have been clearer in my comments!

Mike

Thanks for keeping me honest, Alan!

50 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Yep- I figured it was  built for lend-lease, so the colors would most likely be MAP colors for RAF aircraft; my main reason for posting the photos was to show how different colors can look, depending on any number of factors. Truth be told, the interiors colors looked like RAF grey-green primer, not what would have been applied at the factory for a USN contracted airplane. Guess I could have been clearer in my comments!

Mike

Thanks for keeping me honest, Alan!

Hi Mike,

Having looked at a Curtiss Built P40E-1 cockpit/Internal colours, which were a mix of RAF type/US

paint colours, Lockheed looks to have done similar in the RB 34.

I would venture a guess that the Internals colours in the wheel wells may well have been the same

for USN aircraft :hmmm:

Not about keeping you honest, you were using the RB 34 to illustrate :D, though

I can think of other individual(s) (especially when it comes to RNZAF Aircraft (little OTT here)

who need keeping honest.

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Dear Gents, Thank you all for interest.

I found a link from Australia. A Navy Ventura under restoration. Pics are from 2012.  I believe they can give some idea. Here, wheelbay seems zinc chromate  but wheelbays still question mark. They look metallic.

https://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/History/Aircraft/Harvey_Ventura.html

Here are three preserved PV-1/Ventura aircraft in SA.

The caveat around museum aircraft applies fully but it shows as follows

Aluminium paint in one

looks like RAF grey green in the Klapperkop one which I think is a Ventura and not a PV-1 and is/was most likely most original

and the Cape Town museum one which appears as if the main wheel wells at least were painted in white whereas the tail wheel well was not

The Klapperkop Ventura was photographed in the late '70's whereas the Moth Shellhole one was done after (original) restoration during the late '80's early '90's and that restoration was led by Dave Bekker

http://www.wildaviation.com/gallery3/index.php/Walkarounds/saafprops/Ventura-Details

Edited by Charlie Hugo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Here are three preserved PV-1/Ventura aircraft in SA.

The caveat around museum aircraft applies fully but it shows as follows

Aluminium paint in one

looks like RAF grey green in the Klapperkop one which I think is a Ventura and not a PV-1 and is/was most likely most original

and the Cape Town museum one which appears as if the main wheel wells at least were painted in white whereas the tail wheel well was not

The Klapperkop Ventura was photographed in the late '70's whereas the Moth Shellhole one was done after (original) restoration during the late '80's early '90's and that restoration was led by Dave Bekker

http://www.wildaviation.com/gallery3/index.php/Walkarounds/saafprops/Ventura-Details

Thank you Charlie a million times. Seems like wheelbays's interrior was white. Any chance to get info about bomb bay?

29 minutes ago, TheFlogger said:

Thank you Charlie a million times. Seems like wheelbays's interrior was white. Any chance to get info about bomb bay?

Sorry, no I never got the chance for an open bombbay

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Sorry, no I never got the chance for an open bombbay

It is ok, I appreciate your kind help.

Best wishes,

Flogger

7 hours ago, TheFlogger said:

I know museum pics are not always correct. 

True! If you look at the wheel bays of the PV-1 being restored in the Aussie Modeller link you posted, the interiors have been re-painted with tinted ZC or interior green- you can see the overspray around the outer edges of the bay. Now, were those areas in interior green originally, or just re-painted that color. As an aside, the color looks a little too light and grey for US interior green, FS34151, and could be an attempt for RAF/MAP grey-green. The plot thickens! My guess, and it's an uneducated one, would be that since your PV-1 project was a contracted USN airplane, it would have had the wheel bays and bomb bay painted with either untinted or tinted ZC.

Mike

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

True! If you look at the wheel bays of the PV-1 being restored in the Aussie Modeller link you posted, the interiors have been re-painted with tinted ZC or interior green- you can see the overspray around the outer edges of the bay. Now, were those areas in interior green originally, or just re-painted that color. As an aside, the color looks a little too light and grey for US interior green, FS34151, and could be an attempt for RAF/MAP grey-green. The plot thickens! My guess, and it's an uneducated one, would be that since your PV-1 project was a contracted USN airplane, it would have had the wheel bays and bomb bay painted with either untinted or tinted ZC.

Mike

Well, I guess I will listen your advice and gonna make it ZC.  Thank you for spending your valued time to response me.

5 hours ago, TheFlogger said:

Well, I guess I will listen your advice and gonna make it ZC.  Thank you for spending your valued time to response me.

Not a problem! If I got it wrong, you can blame me! Looking forward to seeing the RFI photos!

Mike

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not a problem! If I got it wrong, you can blame me! Looking forward to seeing the RFI photos!

Mike

Ok, in case of my plane is dissmissed  due to wheelbay color by jury in coming Istanbul contest, I am gonna blame you. Get ready to face Turkish courts! LOL

Joke aside, thank you very much. I appreciate!

Doing research for my triple build...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028317-venturas-at-night-459-sqn-1575-sd-flt-vmfn531/

I came across wheel wells in maybe Interior Grey Green, green tinted zinc chromate, white and untinted zinc chromate (so aluminium coloured). Bomb bays usually the last one. Let me know if you want even more photos. People who are wary of restorations are quite sensible. i doubt you are going to be proven wrong whatever colour you use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

Doing research for my triple build...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028317-venturas-at-night-459-sqn-1575-sd-flt-vmfn531/

I came across wheel wells in maybe Interior Grey Green, green tinted zinc chromate, white and untinted zinc chromate (so aluminium coloured). Bomb bays usually the last one. Let me know if you want even more photos. People who are wary of restorations are quite sensible. i doubt you are going to be proven wrong whatever colour you use.

Thanks Ed. Decision is done: Zinc Chromate! I liked your triple build project. Beside C-47, PV-1 become my fav multi engined propeller plane :)

8 hours ago, TheFlogger said:

Get ready to face Turkish courts! LOL

You don't have to tell me twice! When my father, who was Armenian, was on the USAF IG team that inspected all of the US and NATO airbases in Europe, he had to remind the team members to behave themselves, because if they got into any mischief while inspecting at Izmirmor Incirlik, they would be handed over to the Turkish authorities and could look forward to no mercy! Proud people, the Turks, and harsh living conditions for many of their citizens. Glad to have you aboard here at BM! Hope you and yours are safe and well during the pandemic. 

Mike

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

You don't have to tell me twice! When my father, who was Armenian, was on the USAF IG team that inspected all of the US and NATO airbases in Europe, he had to remind the team members to behave themselves, because if they got into any mischief while inspecting at Izmirmor Incirlik, they would be handed over to the Turkish authorities and could look forward to no mercy! Proud people, the Turks, and harsh living conditions for many of their citizens. Glad to have you aboard here at BM! Hope you and yours are safe and well during the pandemic. 

Mike

Oh, thank you very much for kind wishes. BM is solely for modelling stuff and we all ought to avoids politics as u know. But  I'd like to tell you that things are not as they seem from there. Despite of your Dad's warning, noone touches a Nato member as long as they commit a serious crime. How I know that? I served in Navy and coming from a military family.

I'd like to host you someday and offer you kebap and baklava  (a few beers after all ofc :D )  Like I did to my Greek and Serbian modeller fellas. I bet a visit wud ruin your sterotypes :) 

Now I should go back my PV-1 and find  some eduard colored seatbelts.

Wish you best of all  for you and beloved ones..

The Flogger

• Thanks 1