Normandy Bunker

spacer.png

German defenses along the normandy beaches were part os the Atlantic Wall fortifications designed to defend  Fortress Europa from an allied amphibius invasion.

spacer.png

The scene explanatory is an inspection visit by H.Q Officers at one of the many fortified positions established by troops from the 716th Infantry Division along the coast of Normandy.

spacer.png

I used the DML 6213 German Staff Officer kit with its binocular is perfect for the scene. Maps are Peddinghaus. All diorama is 1/35 scale.

spacer.png

The DML Dragon figures, Ceramic Bunker and Woodland Scenics vegetation are the elements that make up this interesting diorama about a fortification in Normandy. Let's follow up on the result.

spacer.png

I made the ceramic bunker and glued with White glue. Painted with acrylics in a color similar to concrete and after a coat de varnish. It was washes with Ammo Mig enamel.

spacer.png

More details view of a “Ringstanden”. Tobruks Pits were the most commom type de fortified position in normandy and  existed in a wide range of styles. More officially termed “Ringstanden” they were all characterized by a single circular opening for a weapon, most commonly used as Machine Gun pits. I used an MG34 and the figure is Verlinden. In the future I will take advantage of this bunker and make the "tobruk panzerstellung" version which was equipped with a tank turret. In the circular opening I'll place an APX-R turret, initially used on the Heller Renault R-35 tank kit.

spacer.png

I used 2 figures from the Dragon 6574 German Warriors set, to reproduce the typical appearance of a soldier belonging to a static division. I chose resin heads with a better facial expression. The 716th was considered a second class unit. The troops in static divisions tended to be older conscripts, averaging 35 years old. They included veterans wounded and also troops suffering from the debilitating effects or younger often with medical problems.

spacer.png

While some work, others keep watch. In this view, we have a good disposition of the figures used..  Bunkers were usually practically buried in the ground to hide their profile. As a pattern maker, I preferred to add a trench to give the bunker structure more visibility.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In this view we can see (partially covered) the exit door from the bunker to the trench that defends the rear of the position. Note the MG in anti-aircraft repair (Tamiya) and the "Minen" warning. On the bone plate, the written face is placed on the friendly side. In the case of the photo, I just turned the sign just to show what is written...(!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The vegetation and grass are Woodland Scenics. To make the trees (including the trunks of the trenches), I used dehydrated natural branches, collected in the field. After being treated with anti-fungus, they were painted with enamel paint. We avoid using acrylics, because the paint is water-based.

spacer.png

There's a bird in the tree! I used the pigeon that comes in the Bronco 3567 Airborne Equipment set.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Barbed wire was made using a well known technique. To make the "hedgehog", I consulted a military engineering manual.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Fábio.

Edited by fpmeyer
  • Like 41
  • Thanks 3

That is a truly superb little scene. The figures are first class, especially the "old boy" on top of the bunker. Just one small point, and it isn't a criticism. If I was you, I'd change the handle on the bucket for one made from wire.

Nice work.

John.

• Thanks 1

Really nice piece of work.  The figures are excellent, great poses, really lifelike.  The vegetation, especially the tree look good, and I like all the little extras, great attention to detail.  Did you mould the bunker yourself?

• Thanks 1

On 19/06/2021 at 04:28, sanfrandragon said:

Did you mould the bunker yourself?

Yes, it was carved by me. I have 2 pieces left over from the top of the bunker; one with the circular opening and the other where the 2 workers are..

Stay safe.

Fábio.

• 2 weeks later...