Swissair Convair 990 Coronado in 1/144

I have always liked the Convair 990 Coronado. The big anti-shock bodies in the wings and the long dorsal fin containing avionics gave the Coronado its typical and original looks. In the 1970's I flew a couple of times with the plane in Spantax's colours to the Canary Islands. The flight time was considerably shorter than with other airliners. Coronado was and I understand still is the fastest subsonic jet airliner of the world with a maximum speed of 1000 km/h

I built the CV-990 in Swissair's livery from the excellent Authentic Airliners 1/144 resin kit. I ordered the decals from F-RSIN. IMHO this combination is very elegant. As to the modelling of the plane there were no problems and the smaller parts, especially the landing gears were very detailed. I painted the white areas with Tamiya fine surface primer which I then sprayed with Tamiya gloss varnish TS-13. The metal areas I primed with Tamiya gloss black TS-14 and sprayed with Vallejo metal colour-aluminium shade.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Your model is beautifully built, but something about the windscreen decal looks incorrect. Airliner experts please enlighten me.

• Thanks 1

Thank you!

You're probably right. When comparing the windscreen of the model with the pictures I found on the net there is a slight difference. Maybe the decal is too shallow, I dunno. Anyway it doesn't look totally ok. I'm looking forward to more comments and explanations.

Cheers

Einar

Wow, Einar- That Coronado is beautiful!!

I haven't seen many of these built up yet. The AA kits have been hard to get here in the states. I've been trying to get one, but then  Atlantis announced they were re-releasing the Revell 990, and then everyone who had Revell 990s in the stash started putting em up for sale on ebay..... and then Eastern Express announces an all-new 990 of their own.

All of a sudden....it's raining Convairs! Who would have guessed??

-d-

• Thanks 1

Nice model of a beautiful plane. I'm building the F-Resin version, which is a bit of a Labour of love! American Airlines polished Aluminium for me, how can you go past "Astro Jet" decals on a model!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David H said:

Wow, Einar- That Coronado is beautiful!!

I haven't seen many of these built up yet. The AA kits have been hard to get here in the states. I've been trying to get one, but then  Atlantis announced they were re-releasing the Revell 990, and then everyone who had Revell 990s in the stash started putting em up for sale on ebay..... and then Eastern Express announces an all-new 990 of their own.

All of a sudden....it's raining Convairs! Who would have guessed??

-d-

Thanks David!

The more Convairs, the better 👍😄

Cheers,

Einar

16 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Your model is beautifully built, but something about the windscreen decal looks incorrect. Airliner experts please enlighten me.

Take a look here to make up your mind :

https://vintageairliners.com/swissair-convair-990-coronado/

The center window seems very narrow...

Edited by AV O
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AV O said:

Take a look here to make up your mind :

https://vintageairliners.com/swissair-convair-990-coronado/

The center window seems very narrow...

Thanks for the picture. After your first post I tried to find a good picture to make comparisons but didn't find one. Yours is very informative. The center window is definitely too narrow. I've got to get me a new windscreen decal from somewhere. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Einar

2 hours ago, RODH2 said:

Nice model of a beautiful plane. I'm building the F-Resin version, which is a bit of a Labour of love! American Airlines polished Aluminium for me, how can you go past "Astro Jet" decals on a model!!

Thank you!

The Astro jet livery definitely suits the Coronado very well!

Cheers,

Einar

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Very nice - although I concur with what people are saying about the windscreen.

They were noisy and smokey beasts - and their failure to sell helped bring down Convair.

Thank you Eric!

I have to replace the windscreen decal. It's definitely not correct. I should have noticed it while modelling the beast! How stupid of me😦

Cheers

Einar

Nothing to do with being stupid. We tend to use what we are given in the kit or the decal sheet. It's only after you have finished that we tend to spot the anomalies. It should be possible to find a more realistic replacement windscreen decal - or perhaps make your own.

• Like 1

Hi Einar

Another beautiful model, thanks for sharing.

There is a tendency to assume that anything from Authentic Airliners is accurate but that's not always the case. I put an AA windscreen on a DC-8 a year or so ago and I've been convinced it's wrong ever since so I understand the problem. I'll be interested to know what you decide to do.

Dave G

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Einar said:

Thanks for the picture. After your first post I tried to find a good picture to make comparisons but didn't find one. Yours is very informative. The center window is definitely too narrow. I've got to get me a new windscreen decal from somewhere. Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Einar

Also note that the black area of the antiglare panel should be larger, reaching the rear window, thus making the red area thinner.

There is also a step between the 2nd and 3rd windows. They are not level.

Edited by AV O
  • Like 1

I'm really not into airliners but, despite the windscreen flaw that has been pointed out, your kit really looks like the real thing. The finish is superb!! Well done!

Miguel

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AV O said:

Also note that the black area of the antiglare panel should be larger, reaching the rear window, thus making the red area thinner.

There is also a step between the 2nd and 3rd windows. They are not level.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to correct the flaws!

Einar

2 hours ago, Mig88 said:

I'm really not into airliners but, despite the windscreen flaw that has been pointed out, your kit really looks like the real thing. The finish is superb!! Well done!

Miguel

Thanks Miguel!

Cheers

Einar

Beautifully done.

As a Swiss guy,I give you an extra point for building it in Swissair colors.

Looks sharp.

I built the Revell kit in Swissair colors a few years ago.

Very nice kit too and I am glad Atlantis Models re-releases it this year.

2 years ago,I was in Lucerne in the technic museum.

There is a Swissair Coronado on display.Its also possible to go inside and walk through.

always nice to visit her.

As for the cockpit window,you may have a look here

http://vintageflyerdecals.com/cv-990.html

He's a very nice guy.Maybe he can help you with a window set,if you email him.

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Nothing to do with being stupid. We tend to use what we are given in the kit or the decal sheet. It's only after you have finished that we tend to spot the anomalies. It should be possible to find a more realistic replacement windscreen decal - or perhaps make your own.

Thanks Eric,

I will try to get a new winscreen decal and change the corresponding black and red areas. It's a pain in the neck but I'm going to win the fight 😀👍

Cheers

Einar