Battered and Bruised Bf110 Nachtjager 1/72

8 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I rather like it Winenut! This aircraft type is not modelled very much it seems.( might be wrong here! ) Well done on picking something a little usual and in a NF black too. I think for my money - and very good money it is too, it works very nicely!   Yes I agree that the props should all be the green black as many have offered in this thread. I've not done many German kits since becoming a bit more serious about modelling but everything I've read so far indicates that was the case. 

Its a nice restrained weathering you've achieved . I salute you Sir! Looks the part! 

Thank you for sharing this!

Regards, Andy

Well thank you very kindly Andy :)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Excellent result. I'd like to know how you went about the weathering. I did a Defiant NF a while back and it looked Ok but not a good as this, I intend to do a Beaufighter Mk.II Night fighter overall Black but it's the 'Blackness' that worries me. Any tips?

Davey.

Thanks for comments Davey very much appreciated.

For the exercise in black I tried the following which are all basically suggestions I've picked up on Britmodeller and from modelling friends

• The model was pre-shaded in a pretty standard fashion with a straight matt black
  • For the main finish the black was lightened with a bit of white and grey (straight black is too dark and hides a lot of details)
  • Different coats targeted different panels and sections with different variations of the lightened black to add variation
  • When dry that was all sealed in with a coat of acrylic gloss
  • For the panel lines I mixed a watery/thin light grey from lamp black and Chinese white artist water colours and added a few drops of detergent (dishwashing liquid) to help with the flow. That was applied to all panel lines and recessed details with a very fine brush and when dry the excess was removed with a very lightly moistened paper towel
  • That was then sealed in with an all over matt coat
  • Chipping in the panel line joins and various other areas was applied with two different sharpened silver pencils using lots of little dots and just building up the colour
  • Exhausts were originally painted gun metal and then finished really roughly with various metallic pencils in pewter, gold, bronze and a weird blue one I have
  • The exhaust stains were done by applying pastel chalk dusts in various colours with sort of a shortish slightly stiffer brush (the pastels were just scraped with my hobby knife to make the dust. Colours used were burnt umber, burnt sienna and Davy's gray)

That was sealed in with a matt coat as well but often it would blow off from the airbrush so a little was also added post the matt finish particularly the grey to the exhaust stains (thanks to Paulo Castro who noted my original exhaust stains were a bit too rust coloured)

That's about it (there's photo of the basic items used below)

Good luck hope that helps :) 

Cheers

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 110 looks a right beaut Winenut!  🍻 Great job on a black bird! :clap2:  And, I've watched that same canopy masking tutorial I believe.  He makes it seem so simple.  I've used that method especially for the center section of many windscreens; works well for that. 🙂

Edited by Gary Brantley
capital W :)
  • Like 1