Battered and Bruised Bf110 Nachtjager 1/72

Hi all

Here's some photos of my Bf-110

It's a Hobby Boss Easy Assembly finished in Model Master enamels, homemade wash, some pastel chalks, silver pencil and that's about it

The kit has flaws....out of scale rear gun, inaccurate and almost non-existent cockpit etc etc

But the exercise was simply to try an all black finish and some weathering

Along the way I finally found a canopy masking method that works for me consistently and easily

Many thanks to Paulo Castro (AKA Armoured Sprue) for his kind feedback, valuable suggestions and encouragement (definitely check out his work)

Here's the shots (apologies my camera work is as rudimentary as my modelling skills! 😜)......please let me know if you cant see them

I've edited the post (thank you Jackson) please let me know if you still can't see the images

y4mzQAMNmAAto2ZAjvu8IIdxCE15_LY1gj05n29A

y4m8jNiSAUEaXrkIj_snV-2EvGvWZDfp8lpiFvt_

y4mqygbiOxWul_8vEIv94RIiWv4bQ7vy98VD-1ZD

y4mKf1pV5OAaoWq_jow2NQmdoH9H0WJNHcNlIHZ5

y4mmrR0WJto2dHeuxBlagsNXk10BY195hAdwG67p

y4mYVAANVLDzAu71LFLr7mKysi2zDW1SKyNChAEs

y4m53mdtLATgrG9K4g9xqVrAV7Vj5Qhlcz9y5pSo

y4m4QTYLDFsAxenbAcY9CsYmyXErmyMduqOg7zgm

y4mabLH1xXGtpJ5usuedyxNhZjUTNOkqRF-UUdiP

Hopefully that's working!

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Edited by Winenut
fix photos and post
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Winenut said:

The kit has flaws....out of scale rear gun, inaccurate and almost non-existent cockpit etc etc

Sounds like the Hobby Boss I know.  🙂

Drawing a blank at this end picture-wise or I'd have a nice compliment for your completed model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Sounds like the Hobby Boss I know.  🙂

Drawing a blank at this end picture-wise or I'd have a nice compliment for your completed model.

Thanks for letting me know on the photos Jackson.

I do have some issues at the moment get them working 

Will try again

Cheers

• Thanks 1

• Winenut changed the title to Battered and Bruised Bf110 Nachtjager 1/72

Nice finish! She looks evil.

I'm with Sanfrandragon, I always struggle with masking the canopy. I'm just working on my P-51D, for which the canopy is quite simple. The low tack masking tape I used has left glue all over it so now I have to get that off!

Please share your approach.

Pictures came across fine, btw.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 4:36 PM, sanfrandragon said:

Looks good, really battered and bruised as you say.  What is your new technique for canopy masking, I’m curious as I really struggle with it?

Hi Dragon

The canopy process was basically make your own masks.

I picked it up from here... 

The simple principle is apply masking tape and smooth down, outline with a sharp lead pencil, cut out the shape with a fine blade, reapply the cut out mask,....rinse and repeat!  

The video does the whole inside out thing but basically I do the masking, press down to define the shape, mark with the fine pencil and then cut out and reapply the mask

I find it a good simple process you can replicate consistently. It still takes time and attention but is an easily followed process that works for me

For the record I only do the exterior and I only use tape ....I dont use the liquid masking stuff

Any residual glue from the tape (if there is any) is usually easily removed with a slightly moistened cotton bud 

Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by Winenut
Just adding a bit of text
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Nice work on the Hobby Boss 110, I intend the same camouflage for mine !

Wulfman

Onya Wulfy!

Make sure you post it here so I can see your Black Beauty :)

That looks great! Nice effort.

One small note, for future reference: All ( or most ) Luftwaffe propeller blades were painted RLM 70 Black Green. Beware of kit colour callouts. Even some of the best kit makers mess the colours up sometimes.

Chris

• Like 1

An excellent night fighter! :thumbsup:

Sure, it probably has inaccuracies and mis-cues (being a Hobbyboss quick-builder) but it looks the part to me.

I'll be checking out that video, as I too get intimidated by canopy masking.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That looks great! Nice effort.

One small note, for future reference: All ( or most ) Luftwaffe propeller blades were painted RLM 70 Black Green. Beware of kit colour callouts. Even some of the best kit makers mess the colours up sometimes.

Chris

Correct Chris

The kit instructions indicated the prop hub be black green but not the blades.

I knew after I'd  finished that the blades should have been RLM 70 also.

I could probably go back and easily fix it up but you know what would happen in the process....... I'd knock off the aileron balances, disconnect the aeriel wire, snap the mast and accidently spray RLM 70 on the canopy!! LOL

Appreciate the pointer I reckon I'll get it right on the next German fighter build

Cheers!  

• Like 1

Thats 72nd scale? If you didn't say I'd have guessed at least 48th as the panel lines are finely done there! Don't know about the shape of the aircraft but I do have the Revell kit which is a Dragon one which I can't wait to get started. Really liking the all over black scheme with the subtle worn look it's so easy to get carried away doing it but it's spot on to me. I read a book called Agent ZigZag by a guy called Ben Mackintyre aboit Eddie Chapman it was years ago when I read it, he was parachuted into England from a modified BF-110 if memory serves me right from the book. I mention that as it was painted black as well.  Also if you are a reader and have not read that book it's really very good. Great looking model! Got a bit side tracked there lol.

Edited by Deano353
Many spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Thats 72nd scale? If you didn't say I'd have guessed at least 48th as the panel lines are finely done there! Don't know about the shape of the aircraft but I do have the Revell kit which is a Dragon one which I can't wait to get started. Really liking the all over black scheme with the subtle worn look it's so easy to get carried away doing it but it's spot on to me. I read a book called Agent ZigZag by a guy called Ben Mackintyre aboit Eddie Chapman it was years ago when I read it, he was parachuted into England from a modified BF-110 if memory serves me right from the book. I mention that as it was painted black as well.  Also if you are a reader and have not read that book it's really very good. Great looking model! Got a bit side tracked there lol.

Hi Deano

Thanks for the kind comments very much appreciated

I think I might do a bit of research and try and find that book it certainly sounds like an interesting read

Cheers

• Like 2

It is there were three books from Ben Mackintyre which have a crossover of information ZigZag is one then Operation Mincemeat and Double Cross. I recommend all three it's all about British covert operations in WW2 they're fascinating.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2021 at 07:38, Winenut said:

Here's some photos of my Bf-110

I rather like it Winenut! This aircraft type is not modelled very much it seems.( might be wrong here! ) Well done on picking something a little usual and in a NF black too. I think for my money - and very good money it is too, it works very nicely!   Yes I agree that the props should all be the green black as many have offered in this thread. I've not done many German kits since becoming a bit more serious about modelling but everything I've read so far indicates that was the case. 

Its a nice restrained weathering you've achieved . I salute you Sir! Looks the part! 

Thank you for sharing this!

Regards, Andy

• Like 1

Excellent result. I'd like to know how you went about the weathering. I did a Defiant NF a while back and it looked Ok but not a good as this, I intend to do a Beaufighter Mk.II Night fighter overall Black but it's the 'Blackness' that worries me. Any tips?

Davey.

• Like 1