(another) White Knight - Knight Twister Imperial

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting about your Dad and LDM, I too built a Knight Twister when they were first available.

I think I still have it somewhere in the loft.

I remember seeing the advert in the back of Scale Models magazine and must have got it direct from your Dad, then being surprised at how heavy and how tiny the box it came in was! I think this was the first white metal kit I made.

I would be interested in hearing any more recollections you have of your Father and his model business.

Do you have a list of all the models he sold?

I see on our favourite auction site there is a sale listing for pair of LDM 1/48 Tiger Moths.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Like 1

Too busy w domesticity at present for progress, but did take delivery today of Dora Wings Percival Vega Gull, and during a quick squiz at the contents I made this comparison … both aircraft at same 1/48 scale … a shock reminder of how diminutive this Knight Twister is!

Diminutive!

• Like 3

With apologies to greggles for hilacking his thread, these are the 48th LDM kits. 

Pitts S1 and S2, Cierva C30, Comper Swift, Mew Gull,

Chilton DWI, Cosmic Wind, Knight Twister, Flying Flea,

Caudron C460, Miles Hawk Speed Six and,Magister, DH82 Tiger Moth, DH71 Tiger Moth monoplane, Christen Eagle, Fournier RF4, Walter Extra 230, Schliecher ASK13, Deperdussin Racer.

Some of these were pushing the limits of casting at the time, which may have partly been the motivation.

There was also a 1/144 TSR2 (wish I had kept one of them ),

and a slightly odd range of desktop models with 125mm wingspan and therefore some perverse scaling. No idea, by that stage Dad was probably just making model aircraft because he wanted to.

He also did a lovely range of 1/200 aircraft for someone else, but for the life of me I can't remember who.

Thankyou for your time, I may put some more info up another day.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 12:20 AM, Farmer matt said:

With apologies to greggles for hilacking his thread

None needed!  I was equally curious.  I don't think I've ever seen a full inventory in one place - thanks - now I know all the delights I can't find!!

So when I last updated I had a seemingly trivial triple-task list remaining ... well I can report: 2 of 3 done!  Exhausts - straightforward use of brass tube - & a scratchbuilt carb intake thingy ... one of these:

Carb_1

... those images are all I had to go on, for this time-appropriate configuration of the aircraft.  There were several incremental changes in intake & exhaust setup in other photos.

So I rigged up something - a tiny styrene horseshoe-shaped projecting surround & a few raised panel line resin decal offcuts within to suggest ... whatever they are above, I guess some sort of louvres? ...

Carb_2

... & then clogged it all up with paint!

And here it is, together with the 2x exhausts, fitted in place ...

Carb_3

So now all that remains at the tail end of this build is .. the tailwheel!  Perhaps you may see this in 'Ready for Inspection' before Christmas .... we shall see ...

• Like 4

She is looking great!

A bit of background for your interest, and Malc2.

Brian was apprenticed to Vickers Weybridge, and worked in the drawing office until made redundant with cancellation of TSR2. Then he went to the US for a while with Lockheed on C5 Galaxy. Returning to the UK, he was project lead on the (ex Slingsby) Sigma sports glider. I beleive this caused him to burn out, hence starting his own business, LDM.

Although supplying patterns for many white metal producers such as Western Models, Pirate, Langley, Skytrex , his passion for aircraft led to his own range. LDM was very much a one man band operation, from the spare bedroom of the family home. Casting was done mainly by a chap in Epsom, while the transfers were printed mostly by Kaylee. As well as the brass patterns, all the artwork for decals, etching, assembly drawings was done by Brian, the hard way by hand with ink on film - no fancy computer graphic packages then.

Commercial work largely dried up by about 1990, and sadly Brians mental health deterioated with the onset of dementia while still in his fifties. He died in 2003, at just 64.

His talent earned him pehaps more  regard than he realised amongst his peers. 

Thankyou once again for your interest, and for enjoying your build,

Matt 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, I hope all is well with you, and that the KT has not suffered a forced landing on the shelf of doom.

Enthused by your efforts, I dug out the two remaining LDM kits from the depths, the Christen Eagle and ASK13. Both went together pretty smoothly, and are now awaiting 'summer' for progress in the paint department. With the major caveat of me still having the opportunity to screw up the canopies.

I now wish I had put further kits aside, but in all honesty I never really thought I would do these. Really glad I have though.

I did intend to share pics, but havent sussed that part of the forums yet.

Regards, Matt

• Like 1

Hello Matt, terrific to hear from you, & very well done for bringing those two into the light!  The Christen Eagle in particular is a fine biplane & should look impressive with those multi-coloured stripes when done.  Understand the process for posting photos here is a bit round-abouts .. but if possible would love to see your progress.  I set up an account over at Flickr for the purpose.

Re my little Knight Twister ... I see above me here that this software is helpfully pointing out it's now "3 months later ..." since I said I had only a tailwheel left to do.  I still have that tailwheel to do!  I've collected some parts to scratch / fabricate, but haven't yet had a moment of focused bravado to attempt it.  I have told myself that having said I will do it, then I must do so before I will allow myself to post it in the 'ready for inspection' forum here.  However I did take it on a sneaky outing to my local club night back in November.  You can catch a glimpse of it, sans tailwheel (and together with my Short Crusader on similar mount) in this video posted on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/522597449/videos/4577184092346655/

I should - must - will - wrap this one up!

Hi Matt,

Like Greggles, I would like to add my thanks for the interesting posts you have made about your Farther and LDM and would also be interested in seeing your progress - especially the ASK13.

@greggles.w Nice video clip! Shows how well your display stands show off your models.

Do you know if the owner of the Mazda 787B did a WIP anywhere?

M.

1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

Do you know if the owner of the Mazda 787B did a WIP anywhere?

Hi Malc, yes if I recall correctly that Mazda was the people’s choice award winner for that month - deservedly so - as voted by the members.

I’ve just got in contact with the builder - I’ll PM you with his details & he’s happy for you to get in touch.  I believe he already loiters around this site, so may succeed in encouraging him to post it WIP &/or For Inspection..

• Thanks 1

Hello, there's a good selection on that table.

I have always liked the look of the twenties seaplane racers, and the Crusader explains the 'another' in your title. I took a quick scroll through your epic build of that, mighty impressed by not just your modelling but your patience and perseverance with dropping it! Also found your Vega Gull which is lovely.

Bear with me on the pics, I have (more by luck than judgement) managed to get a flickr account set up, and the pics onto that. Now really cannot fathom  to get them into this universe. I have read the how to in faq, but I will probably have to ask a young person!

I will try and put them up as a WIP of my own, they are certainly not RFI.

Regards, Matt

I may be wrong, but I presume if you have a flickr account, you can simply view my pics on there as they are public. If so, Matt Farmer is the man to look for, dont worry they are the only pics on there, no cheesy holiday snaps or anything.

If that works, great. The models only got quick investigative shots of primer, and there is still much modelling ahead but I dont think they are too bad so far.

If that doesnt work for you, or it turns out there are 473 Matt Farmers on flickr, please let me know!

Regards, Matt

Hi @Malc2 , so it can be done. Thankyou for proving that at least! Only 25 of us. I really should have thought earlier of that and added an initial or something, but I was too intent on whether I could set it up, not expecting to share it that way.

I will have another go at posting them tomorrow.

Matt.