A pair of Eduard Tempests 1/48

1 hour ago, cger said:

The plane I am interested in is the one in the picture below: 

In the Eduard distributor leaflet, it is depicted as an early version Tempest II, without cooling gills on the top of the engine section and

with an underwing pitot tube. 

Clearly the pitot tube is not under the wing, but the cooling gills look absent. The Special Hobby kit has cooling gills so I would have to sand them off.

I do not know if there are other visible differences between early and late Tempests II. 

the chap you want is @Chris Thomas.   I've never seen mention of early and later Tempest Mk.II's before,  but I know Chris did the book in the Eduard Royal Class, and my knowledge of the Tempest II is basic (now where did I put the Bentley drawings.....) 

The story of the photo is here BTW, by Chris.

https://www.hawkertempest.se/index.php/contributions/photos/334-co-s-tempest-mk-ii

I knew I had read about it somewhere..... what I forgot was that I 'found' the image online and asked here....

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235036102-tempest-ii-with-lightning-flash-new-to-me/

1 hour ago, cger said:

It is amazing how the Ocean grey color is also different from one photo to another.

I suspect thetat PR774 dark Ocean Grey is just a quirk of the exposure,  though note the replacement(?) rudder, which is very light.   I'd not looked at the grey, I was thinking more of the codes. 

1 hour ago, cger said:

thanks again for the details about the Sky color. The Eduard sheet may be correct after all.

Until I find mine, I don't know, but it was an observation that Sky can look very green 'out of context'  

Look forward to the Tempest II  build.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi cger.  MW835 did not have the 'cooling gills' (which were actuallyy intake louvres for the tropical air cleaner) nor did it have a pitot under the wing - it was (as on all production Mk IIs) on the port wing tip, protruding from the LE.

CT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

Hi cger.  MW835 did not have the 'cooling gills' (which were actuallyy intake louvres for the tropical air cleaner) nor did it have a pitot under the wing - it was (as on all production Mk IIs) on the port wing tip, protruding from the LE.

CT

Hi Troy,

many thanks for your time and for the clarification. Sorry for my bad command of technical english !

have a nice day,

Christian.