A pair of Eduard Tempests 1/48

Two beautifully finished and presented Tempests and thanks for the tips and advice to watch Paul’s videos. I’ve got two of these kits myself and would be absolutely chuffed if they turned out half as good as yours. 
Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Barbouille said:

Great job ans beautiful finish

What references did Gunze use for the painting?

thanks to all for the kind comments.

For the painting I used Tamiya XF81, XF82, XF83 for  Dark Green, Ocean grey and Medium Sea grey. As variations of these colors I used Gunze H73, H337 and H335;

For the Sky band and codes I used Gunze H74, corrected with a bit of red: I add a few drops of red in a bottle of H74 to make it less green and a bit more yellow.

Tamiya paints are thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner, and Gunze with Mr Color Levelling thinner. After experimenting with many other thinners, these two give me the best results.

When I want to reproduce dust or exhaust stains, I thin Tamiya and Gunze with Isopropyl alcool. In this way the paint dries almost instantly to a very matt finish and I can build up the color very slowly.

have a nice day,

Christian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cger said:

I had to repaint the codes to match the Sky color of the fuselage band, this was a bit of a nuisance.

erm... well, maybe for future reference.... the codes and band are both Sky....  band factory applied, codes at MU or unit level....

woodhouse37-1.jpg

see here for full story

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70201-tempest-ej693-medium-sea-grey-squadron-codes/

18 hours ago, cger said:

except that I followed some advice from Paul Budzik who has a couple of videos on some issues with the wings on his Youtube channel.

I'll look those up. 

ps - I presume this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1Kh0lFLdw

Great builds

:goodjob:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

erm... well, maybe for future reference.... the codes and band are both Sky....  band factory applied, codes at MU or unit level....

woodhouse37-1.jpg

see here for full story

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70201-tempest-ej693-medium-sea-grey-squadron-codes/

I'll look those up. 

ps - I presume this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi1Kh0lFLdw

Great builds

:goodjob:

Hi Troy,

thanks for this picture, I did not know about this story.  What I mean is that the codes on Eduard decal sheet are of a different, more greenish shade than the H 74 Sky I used for the band. 

There are  two videos by Paul Budzkik, one of them is the one you mention. Both are worth a look. There is even a third one on the recently released Special Hobby Tempest II. It seems that 

one of the problems mentioned by Paul, ie the seam lines in the middle of  the  flaps was corrected on the Tempest II kit.

I forgot to mention that I also corrected the kit spinner (following some discussion on this forum),

best,

Christian. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cger said:

thanks for this picture, I did not know about this story.  What I mean is that the codes on Eduard decal sheet are of a different, more greenish shade than the H 74 Sky I used for the band. 

Sky is a very pale yellow green,   not sure about the Eduard codes,  I need to check them.... I have the Royal Class kit...somewhere...unopened....

Anyway, the sky colur often looks more yellow even buff in period photos,  but the real colour is quite green.

Anyway, the point was, and not widely known,  that the codes and band did not always match,  which can make a modellers life easier, though you be forever explaming this detail!

10 hours ago, cger said:

There are  two videos by Paul Budzkik, one of them is the one you mention. Both are worth a look.

They were very helpful,  and I was quite surprised at sloppy fit of the UC legs,  the wing look like one of those detail it's worth knowing about.  but quite surprising for a modern kit. So, thanks for the heads up on these.

I have an old tool Eduard tempest I had done the main corrections on as well.... fuselage extension, thinned fin, thinned the wings....  put back in a box...

10 hours ago, cger said:

There is even a third one on the recently released Special Hobby Tempest II. It seems that 

one of the problems mentioned by Paul, ie the seam lines in the middle of  the  flaps was corrected on the Tempest II kit.

I forgot to mention that I also corrected the kit spinner (following some discussion on this forum),

This is the narrowing of the blade slots?

The white spinner on JN803 is very unusual

a search brings up this,  at this stage the spinner should be Sky,  interesting this was  fitted with the 5 spoke wheel still.

Tempest_Mk_V_486_Grimbergen.jpg

I'll put a @Chris Thomas as he maybe able to add more, (he did the book in the Eduard set)  and I'm sure he'll enjoy the models as well.

cheers

T

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Sky is a very pale yellow green,   not sure about the Eduard codes,  I need to check them.... I have the Royal Class kit...somewhere...unopened....

Anyway, the sky colur often looks more yellow even buff in period photos,  but the real colour is quite green.

This is the narrowing of the blade slots?

The white spinner on JN803 is very unusual

a search brings up this,  at this stage the spinner should be Sky,  interesting this was  fitted with the 5 spoke wheel still.

Tempest_Mk_V_486_Grimbergen.jpg

I'll put a @Chris Thomas as he maybe able to add more, (he did the book in the Eduard set)  and I'm sure he'll enjoy the models as well.

cheers

T

Hi Troy,

If you look at the codes on Eduard decal sheet, you will see that they look very green.  The spinner correction  was indeed about narrowing and changing the angles of the blade slots. For the color of the spinner of SA D, it is funny because I came across this very picture  on the net but did not pay attention.

I often follow blindly the kit instructions (because I am too lazy to do serious research ...). 

The next Tempest in my stash is the Special Hobby Tempest II. Sadly the marking options are not as lively as the ones in the future Eduard release, so 

I plan to use my Silhouette cutter to do one of the planes offered in the Eduard kit,

have a nice weekend,

Christian.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2021 at 07:50, cger said:

If you look at the codes on Eduard decal sheet, you will see that they look very green.

I got a partial Barracudacals Spitfire sheet a while back, and the Sky codes looked very green,  I asked Roy Sutherland about this, and he said the colour on the sheet was matched to the RAF Museum book paint chips.   

It maybe (and I can't get to my Eduard Tempests easily to check) that on the backing sheet, the blue backing paper may change the apparent colour. 

bfc082_000.jpg

maybe worth trying a spare on relevant paint colours and see how it appears.....

It could also be like Eduard's 'colour matching' on the prepainted PE,  which is often, erm, poor.....

Since you are planning on a Tempest II, I had a look at @Etiennedup  flickr

here - 

Flickr Search

which has some  useful shots,  and, now I look, variation between Sky band and code letters...

16348973165_af078088ce_c.jpgHawker Tempest II, 1947. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

5481381292_b69af5f65f_b.jpgHawker Tempest II,  Aug. 1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

HTH

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

thanks again for the details about the Sky color. The Eduard sheet may be correct after all. Thanks also for the pics of Tempests II. It is amazing how the Ocean grey color is also different from one photo to another. The plane I am interested in is the one in the picture below: 

In the Eduard distributor leaflet, it is depicted as an early version Tempest II, without cooling gills on the top of the engine section and

with an underwing pitot tube. 

Clearly the pitot tube is not under the wing, but the cooling gills look absent. The Special Hobby kit has cooling gills so I would have to sand them off.

I do not know if there are other visible differences between early and late Tempests II. 

92a87e9c05205235b8bb02f847077f72.jpg

have a nice Sunday,

Christian.

Lovely models. I’ve always loved the Tempest, such ugly looking brutes. Apparently some were lost to friendly fire, being mistaken for Fw190s.Looking at the pictures, you can see why.

• Like 1