AMT '65 Pontiac Grand Prix

Reliving my youth, this will be a quick (maybe) OOB build.   A 1990 Prestige series reissue from eBay, still sealed.

65GP01-vi.jpg

I'd forgotten this:  confusion at AMT over whether they were doing the manual or auto version - why not do both!    It has a four speed, but the interior has two pedals and the auto console.  Also note the hole in the engine block for the metal axle to pass through.

65GP02-vi.jpg

The aforementioned console, moulded with the seats:

65GP03-vi.jpg

Decided it won't be 1965 (or 1990) all over again so I've filled the axle hole in the engine and separated the console from the seats.  I'm also going to rework the gearbox so it looks something like a TH400 from the bottom...  other than that, sticking with the OOB plan.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice, I used to love the old AMT kits , great start, I see you get free traffic cones too!!!

Chris

Cones, a fifth wheel and some other "road test" equipment.  😬

• Like 3

My brother-in-law had from new a flame red 4 speed, 400 convert with a white top and interior which he found very popular with stewardesses.

I loved it especially the aluminum center wheels seen here. Sadly they were only 14" rims on a really big car.

• Like 1

I presume this is the same kit as the 'Grand Slam'. Definitely think I'll be watching this one - not only do I expect you to produce a good end result but hopefully I can get some pointers on the way for when I get around to mine :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Codger said:

My brother-in-law had from new a flame red 4 speed, 400 convert with a white top and interior which he found very popular with stewardesses.

I loved it especially the aluminum center wheels seen here. Sadly they were only 14" rims on a really big car.

I still kick myself for not buying a '67 Firebird 400 HO I went to look at, but there was as much wrong with it as right and we'd just bought a house, so money was tight.  Never did get a fun car. 😑

35 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I presume this is the same kit as the 'Grand Slam'.

It is.   This was the original release: 

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/amt-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/pontiac/1961-1970/amt-1965-pontiac-gr/

I'll try to make a good job of it, but I'm not going to get bogged down in details on this one.

• Like 1

Kit contents.  Excuse the poor photos, I only have my phone now.

65GP05-vi.jpg

Seats now separated.

65GP06-vi.jpg

65GP07-vi.jpg

65GP08-vi.jpg

If you've been searching for a 1/25 reel to reel tape recorder, you're in luck.

65GP09-vi.jpg

65GP10-vi.jpg

65GP11-vi.jpg

65GP12-vi.jpg

65GP13-vi.jpg

The Prestige kits came with some car show paraphernalia.

65GP14-vi.jpg

Polyglas tyres for the custom version, skinny whitewalls for the stock version and an odd tyre for the fifth wheel.

65GP15-vi.jpg

• Like 5

Back to the build, I sawed off the bottom of the gearbox and started roughing in the shape of the TH400.  Close ups are unforgiving, but it's early days.  😬   The gaps will be filled in with scrap plastic and some filler.   It's not going to be perfect but only the bottom will be visible and it's probably not worth expending a great deal of effort anyway, since nearly everything else is moulded into the chassis,  I drilled one of the indents too deep, so that needs redoing

65GP16-vi.jpg

Now this is going to be too wide to fit the chassis, so I have to rework the floor pan and reroute the exhausts further apart (where they should have been to begin with).

65GP17-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 6

Looking at the kit parts laid out has brought back lovely memories of the excitement of opening up one of these kits as a youngster, and seeing all those chrome bits and running black paint in the spaces between the grill slats and rubbing off the ridges to get a lovely grill,  thanks for providing that.  

Great start on your gearbox conversion .

Chris

• Like 2

I threw some primer at it to see how bad it looks... needs some attention, but only the bottom will show in the end.  As ever, close ups are brutal.  😖

65GP20-vi.jpg

Also had a look at the seats, to remove the ski slope from the front.   Not much of this will show either, but  I'll know.

65GP21-vi.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Painted the engine yesterday.   I found Revell 50 was a reasonable match, close enough anyway.   The trans caught the light here, it's more of a dull aluminium in reality.   I haven't fitted a distributor yet... not sure I can be bothered to wire it, but either way the kit distributor is hopeless, so I have to replace it.  I'm not sure why the water pump pulley looks like a brown splodge here, but it doesn't look that bad in person.  🤔

65GP22-vi.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Minor update.  I made some armrests to replace the almost flat ones moulded into the interior tub (no photo, not much to see).  Also cut out the floor and part of the exhaust to clear the transmission and made the centre part of the crossmember where the trans mounts, which was totally absent.

65GP23-vi.jpg

Size comparison with other works in progress - '67 Mustang and '63 260 Cobra.  🙃

65GP24-vi.jpg

I like this colour, any suggestions for a reasonable match without having to mix something?

https://barnfinds.com/sweet-survivor-1965-pontiac-grand-prix/

• Like 5

Nearest I can suggest is Ford Tonic Blue, available from Halfords but don't know a) if that will be close enough, or b) what size the metal flakes will be.

Got this one in the stash and your pic shows just how big this thing is - it's the only car I'll build which will make the Jag XJ220 look small I think,