Lancaster canopy question

Adam Poultney

There are two styles of Lancaster canopy sides, ones with blisters and ones without. Does anyone know when these blisters were introduced? It would be especially useful if I would be able to find out if certain Lancasters which there are no photos of would have likely had the blisters or not.

I'm not sure of when the blister windows were introduced, but there are cases where some aircraft have both. Flat on one side and blister on the other, though usually with the blister on the starboard side.

Chris

Like anything Lancaster based, there's no definitive answer, but the question should really be 'when was the port blister removed' as early models had both and later models had the port blister (pilot's side) removed.  The possible reason for this was with the fitting of H2S equipment, made use of the blister very difficult.

• Like 2

I believe that the port-side blister was deleted when H2S & Geewere introduced, really because they blocked access to the blister.  617 squadron used th starboard blister so a crew member (navigator?) could see the spotlights shining on the water and advise the pilot accordingly.

Some Lancasters had both port & starboard blisters, which I think were early.ones.

Not sure this helps but I hope so!

• Like 1

It appears that they were fitted both sides from production Manchesters onwards and included on the Lancaster.  My course notes dated January 1945 are not much help as shown.

Para 10 is the relevant one :-

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis 

• Like 2

I'm afraid the real answer is to research your particular aircraft you wish to model.

Certain in late 1943 they seem to start fading the production of the one on the port (pilots side) but my research would indicate that the starboard side one was never taken out.

AS mentioned the intro of H2s was probably cause to remove it but it wasnt always the case . . .

Most folk model a Lancaster cos they have seen the nose with possible artwork, so thats a good start for the research 

• Like 1