Felixstowe F.2a

Hello all. I have just completed this Aeroclub 1/72 scale vacform kit of the Felixstowe, and what a joy it was to do. It was for the 'Anything but Injection' Group Build on this very forum. I love to do kits that give me a 'challenge', and this one was no stranger to 'challenges'! I had a lot of help and advice, and the build log can be seen here if you would like to see how things went (both right and wrong!):

I built an interior for it (more of an impression that reality), the model was brush-painted with Humbrol enamels, the white swirls were from an AIMS Decals sheet (72D004), and the rigging was InfiniModels rigging thread.

Anyway, here is 'Felix':

DSCN7413

DSCN7414

DSCN7415

DSCN7416

DSCN7418

DSCN7421

DSCN7423

DSCN7424 (2)

DSCN7425 (2)

The swirls transfers did not settle down quite as well as I hoped as could be seen in one or two of the photographs, but it turned out a lot better than if I had tried to paint them!

I would like to say a big thank you to @John Aero for producing this kit, it was fabulous!

Thanks for looking,

Ray

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

Cracking work on your Felixstow, Ray!

I imagine even in 72nd scale this is a large beastie so probably going to take up a biut of display space.  Excellent painting and finish as well.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the 'likes' and the very kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

I picked this model up at a Gloucester Model Club show three or four years ago, well with a £15 price tag it was a bit of a bargain! When I got it home, I opened the box and my first thought was "OMG What have I done?" and put it away. Then came the GB and I plucked up courage to give it a go. There were a few pivotal moments, one of which was when I came to fit the engines and the mounts. I had to slide the engine blocks into the mounts (which incorporated the struts), but not to add glue. Then, fit them into the strut holes in the lower wing (still no glue), add the top wing (which involved turning it upside down (still no glue!), adding blocks to the other side to support the upper wing, tape the lot together, then add glue to the lower wing/strut locations, and breathe...

The other very awkward bit (apart from the rigging) was the glazing. I left that for quite some time because I was in four or five minds on how to paint it. In the end, I just painted the fairly (very) faint frame lines freehand.

All in all, it was the best £15 I have ever spent.

Thanks again all.

Ray

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

Now, just come clean and admit you had a trained spider for the rigging.

Dang! I've been found out! The spider's name was Felix, and he was on piecework, and his pay is any poor insect that gets trapped in his rather spacious web...

Thanks again for the comments,

Ray

• Like 1

Rigging and Vac-form… two words that I just cannot pronounce when talking modelling. This is just simply superb and a fantastic build to look and admire for many years to come. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1