TNI (Indonesia) F-16D (Hasegawa 1/72)

• 1 month later...

I finally made a start on my F-16D. 

I haven't got very far, mind you, but still, something is better than nothing. Life has been very busy here lately and I've fallen behind (or failed) in all my GBs this year. Hopefully a simple Hasegawa F-16 isn't beyond me though!

Here's the kit:

IMG_20210717_200842071-scaled.jpg?resize

As everyone almost certainly knows this is an old kit but I think it stands up pretty well today. Sure it's not extremely detailed but what is there is good and for me it's actually enough. Too complicated and I will never get it finished. And from certain Japanese websites it's less than a banh mi at my local favourite lunch spot. About the same as two coffees. Every time I feel like a coffee and don't buy it I'm like, "that's half an F-16".

IMG_20210717_201308227-scaled.jpg?resize

Also it comes with some stores, unlike most Hasegawa kits. Four Sidewinders and some bombs. 

IMG_20210717_200908497-scaled.jpg?w=1440

All I have done so far is this:

IMG_20210725_231901297-scaled.jpg?resize

Today in the mail I received the Print Scale decal sheet I ordered so I can do the TNI version. The sheet is only for single seaters but other than the serial numbers on the jets, as far as I can tell the two seater is the same.

IMG_20210726_223118320-scaled.jpg?resize

I will do the scheme at the bottom of this pic but in a two seater (and a D model - Indonesia has As, Bs, Cs and Ds, and the scheme is basically the same). 

Obviously I haven't tried the decals yet but if they work well then I will be quite impressed with this sheet. It wasn't expensive, and it comes with full markings for 8 aircraft. 

Weirdly, it gives three full sets of markings for three essentially identical Venezuelan jets, and three more for three essentially identical TNI jets. Not sure why anyone would want that, rather than just alternative serials for those. But treating those as one each, you still get four cool schemes. There's a wild TNI scheme different to the others, and then also a Romanian one. 

IMG_20210726_223109857-scaled.jpg?resize

The "wild" TNI scheme I refer to is #6. I think I'll get an A model and build that one too. While I'm at it, I'll get a B and do the Romanian version - similar to TNI, the Romanian AF seems to have the same scheme on its two seaters. I like a bit of variety between the single and twin seaters.

The decals look good. They seem to be in register, especially the roundels. And under a loupe, you can actually read the larger of the warning labels. I can't get the pic to upload so i will show it later.

I look forward to trying them out.

• Like 5

Great o see this one off to a nice start!

Mmmm Banh Mi!!!!  :eat:  The best in Sydney is from the Hong Ha Bakery in Mascot!!! They've been running for nearly 30 years, always long lines waiting....... thou probably not now with the lockdown.  :crying:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Great o see this one off to a nice start!

Mmmm Banh Mi!!!!  :eat:  The best in Sydney is from the Hong Ha Bakery in Mascot!!! They've been running for nearly 30 years, always long lines waiting....... thou probably not now with the lockdown.  :crying:

I hope you get out of lockdown soon and go down to Hong Ha to celebrate! 

I've done a little more work on this one. 

Here is the decal sheet:

IMG_20210801_162500594-scaled.jpg?w=1440

And here is where the cockpit is up to:

IMG_20210801_231113131.jpg?resize=1536,9

Those two pilots come from the Revell pilot set. The kit only has one - which is a bit useless for a two seater.

• Like 1

I'm definitely finding a bit of cleanup is required on the parts of the ones I'm building.  I think the molds might be starting to get a little tired.  

That's going to be a nice color scheme.  I was considering one of those for a 1/48 single seater but ended up earmarking that kit for a Romanian scheme instead.

• Like 1

Yeah the TNI schemes are cool but the Romanian ones are also great - since I got the decal sheet I photographed up above, I kind of decided I need to get some more of these Hasegawa F-16s and do another different TNI one, the Venezuelan one and also the Romanian version. Decal sheets with many options can be a bit of a gateway drug!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I tried using a Tamiya light blue on the bottom of this - going by the decal instructions - but it was far too blue to my eyes. In the end I've gone with Vallejo sky grey for the lighter shade. It maybe doesn't look quite right now but once the blue-ish colour is next to it, I think it's going to be about right. 

IMG_20210827_095402089-scaled.jpg?resize

I stuffed up the joint on the bottom of the air intake - don't quite know what went wrong - so I will fix that up before I go too much further.

IMG_20210827_095339627-scaled.jpg?resize

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried and failed several times to mix the right shade for the camo on this thing. It's a strange kind of sea green. In the end I have just ordered a paint from Vallejo that I hope will do the job straight from the bottle, or at least with some easier mixing (ie just adding white to lighten unlike the mess I made with these two efforts).

IMG_20210908_223445487-scaled.jpg?resize

IMG_20210910_083038127-scaled.jpg?resize

They look better in real life especially not under the harsh lamp - so much better in natural light. 

Anyway, keep trying...!

• Like 1

Well, i finally cracked and ordered a few bottles of various likely shades. 

Unfortunately they won't arrive until after the GB deadline...so I guess I'm not going to make it!

But I will continue the build as it's pretty close to done now.

Good luck to the rest of you!