Sukhoi SU-21 (SU-15 Flagon) 1/72 PM Model

My second entry in the GB, since my Foxhound at this moment is on hault.
I bougt it for something close to a fiver, so it has passed for this GB😎. 

When I saw it, I did find it interesting that it says SU-21 on the box. I'm for sure no expert in russian jets, but I've never heard of it, so I had to buy it, and see what it was. Some quick research resulted in that it is most likely a fail from the producers calling it a SU-21, and it is in fact a SU-15 Flagon.

This is what is written in wikipedia: 
"Some Western reports indicate that the Su-15TM was also designated Su-21 and the Su-15UM Su-21U. These reports are apparently incorrect. Designation Su-21 was reserved for Su-17M4 but never used."
So the name is apparently wrong, it is a SU-15.

I've just opened the box, and it look okay I guess. There is only decals for 1, which is the one on the box. When building my last model, the Foxhound, I said to myself, that next time I'll be building a kit that should be good. And here we are, a kit with a wrong name, from a company I've never heard off before, what can possibly go wrong?🤔 Have anyone got experience with this kit? 

Looking forward to get started with this one :D

Hope to get started tomorrow ;) 
Here are some pictures of the box, sprues in plastic bag (front and back for decals):
y4mOeseBfVhPidlaxtrF8Q5voet0bf9Ep5T5_EwK

y4mYLGcuTdA0J3EH5S55FxaGqp0GyxtGYb6Y7IFt

y4m7z5MFcNsPUPE4M1piOI-XRNGXLYycB2stbZpt

• Like 4

I’ve built one!

I enjoyed it. There is a Trumpeter model, which needs a load of mods, and an Amodel model, which needs a load of TLC, and there’s this, which is a fun build!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I’ve built one!

I enjoyed it. There is a Trumpeter model, which needs a load of mods, and an Amodel model, which needs a load of TLC, and there’s this, which is a fun build!

Regards,

Adrian

Good, I'm glad to hear that :D What about the decals, were they any good? 

There was some discussion on this on a build in, I think, the Interceptor GB which might be of interest to you. One thing I remember is that the missile load out in the kit may be incorrect - I believe it carried the smaller AA-8 missiles on the inboard pylons. Back then Serge @Aardvark was still contributing to the forum and I think he explained the Su-21 error, but we don't seem to have heard from him since last December.

Pete

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I ended up using spares box decals so I assume that I wasn't happy with them, but I can't remember why!

Regards,

Adrian

Allright, hmm. Maybe I just should order some new decals asap 🙈 

4 hours ago, PeterB said:

There was some discussion on this on a build in, I think, the Interceptor GB which might be of interest to you. One thing I remember is that the missile load out in the kit may be incorrect - I believe it carried the smaller AA-8 missiles on the inboard pylons. Back then Serge @Aardvark was still contributing to the forum and I think he explained the Su-21 error, but we don't seem to have heard from him since last December.

Pete

Yes, I do believe I've seen it actually. I'll see if I can find it again 🙂

Got started on the most basic cockpit I've ever seen, consisting of two parts :D I did scratch some small things, and are planning to do a little more later on :) I did however forget to take pictures of the cockpit before closing the fuselage, but tried to take a closeup :D 
Here are some pictures of the progress so far :) 
y4mv2dKFtxM4-yW2Q3jBX4_fh0JwLVc59iVhedvR

The complex build of the cockpit ;)

y4mF3glkWaXNMQOpLKFMvLGVD89wBGL_8AAzWZib

The office. With my home made joystick and a plate on the back of the seat to hide a big gap.

y4mZBnfzi9h3twZNQlfUql8vNMgD9VVn_LNeMPWs

The fuselage :)

• Like 5

13 hours ago, PeterB said:

Pete

I used the extensive Begemot decal set when I built this as the kit decals are pretty hopeless. I am unlikely to build another Flagon so they are yours if they are of any use. For all it's limitations the kit was good fun to build, enjoy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

I used the extensive Begemot decal set when I built this as the kit decals are pretty hopeless. I am unlikely to build another Flagon so they are yours if they are of any use. For all it's limitations the kit was good fun to build, enjoy!

Sounds awesome, would love to have them ;) How do we do that? :) 

Getting a  bit more done tonight while the sound from the footballmatch is in the background ;) 
Have attached the wing and the tailrudder, it went on without much trouble. I have had to sand the seamlines a bit, but I'll have to see how it look under a bit of primer :D So far there has been used some filler between the wingroots and fuselage, and between tailrudder and rear fuselage :) 

And I found some missiles in my Foxhound spares, that I think will work on the inner pylons,  I think the are called R-60 missiles😅 Can anyone confirm that those in my pictures beneath, are the correct ones? :D For outer pylons I'll stick with the K8's from the set.

The kit so far:

y4m997LGof7NxwDBwDAE-jMPDWkoljXOyyNmsW5s

Close-up of the fillerwork :)

y4mojHyyBxmnbli70Thr0VaOjiDU0MJiWFr9wL7V

The R-60 missiles from the other set

y4mHP8haXTlhjulTeYzqYw1bZbfSlyd3Ccr2Ul5L

• Like 5

Yes, they are what are known as AA-8 Aphids by Nato - short range dogfighting replacement for the AA-2 Atoll. The Russians call them R60 and/or K60 apparently.

Pete

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Yes, they are what are known as AA-8 Aphids by Nato - short range dogfighting replacement for the AA-2 Atoll. The Russians call them R60 and/or K60 apparently.

Pete

Thanks, then they will be the ones i use 😉

Hi again. Great to see you here with another build and it looks like you are off to a good start already. Lovely job. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi again. Great to see you here with another build and it looks like you are off to a good start already. Lovely job. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you :) Yes, this kit is better than the foxhound, so progress is a lot faster :) Pictures will be uploaded very soon :)

• Like 1

Got it primed in light grey, and the painted i aluminium, then masked off, and painted the details. Im not sure about the green for the nose and tail, it looks a bit to dark to me?🤔
But think I'll keep it as it is, and fix small errors. Later I'll give it a good clear coat, and lighten it up with some oil paint. 
Latest pictures :) 
y4mw6pQ9wrWCBffwlI-04XF2sV121vhB4PI-HRx_

y4mu0i5HOLiRC9iTUdJENqimBEhKVNRFNIGEpHKE

y4mgsGQF8K6ePr7r9PENoHFcu0Lgd9y5zqWOZKlL

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A bit more work has been done! Everything is now glued together, which could be a mistake, since I'm an expert in breaking stuff off my kits. But I decided to do it this way, with this one, so that I could clear coat everything, and once it is dry, I can put it away until the decals arrive. I must say, I think it does look a bit uniform and boring right now, so I'm hoping that decals and weathering will live it up a bit :D 
y4mpKskVE65QVVx-e7QmIqqr5BviRkwut4gMIBwK 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks fantastic. Great finish. It’s surprisingly big isn’t it - mind you, I say that about almost all modern jets except for the Gnat and the Hawk.

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you, And I just received the decals todays so as soon as time allows it, I'll get going again 😉 It is indeed a long plane, specially when it is stranding next to my skyhawk 😄 

• Like 1