1/32 Tamiya Corsair

Gordon Parker

I have decided to take the plunge and get the big Corsair from Tamiya which I plan to do as Don Shepherds RCNVR a/c. Obviously the kit is very complete and other than adding FAA harness and the fusleage intakes and shorten the wings is there much else to do?

Could also use a pic or drawing of the ventral intake/exhaust(?) as I am not clear of it's exact position and shape.

I had been thinking of doing Hampton Grey's but there is some current confusion re the markings: were they Roundel 115 or 1 roundel 15? 

I believe Shepherds was a Corsair IV and was wondering if the engine would be an early or late model (I am thinking of the cowling gubbins from Barracuda BR32126 F4U-1 Corsair Early Engine Upgrade Set and will order the wheels BR32119 Corsair Hellcat Wheels - Diamond Tread and cockpit stencils 

BC32129 F4U-1 Corsair Cockpit Stencils and Placards

Thank God I own a hobby store and get this stuff at wholesale.

I would appreciate any help our advice,

Cheers,

Gordon

You have but to ask! (Let the record show that  I beat @corsaircorp and @Corsairfoxfouruncle to the reply!) These should get you started. ( I have posted different links to the three that could not be opened.)

Mike

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fipmsauckland.hobbyvista.com%2FGallery%2FReal%2FF4U-1D%2Fcorsair1.htm&psig=AOvVaw1jfIxNN0AiCfw1zBN6yGXQ&ust=1623981725947000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAgQjRxqFwoTCIjV37DJnfECFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/corsair-jpg.526326/

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/f4u_drop_tanks_guadalcanal_1944-jpeg.526327/

http://ipmsauckland.hobbyvista.com/Gallery/Real/F4U-1D/f4u1_c.jpg

This last link is from @Tailspin Turtle's Tailhook Topics blogsite: (I hope this is OK, Tommy!)

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/03/f4u-4-modelers-notes.html

I think the accessory section dump door might be  slightly different in shape between the F4U-1 birdcage and the F4U-1A/D/FG-1, so watch for that!

Edited by 72modeler
removed bad links, added new ones
  • Like 1

One thing to make sure you do is not glue the internal frame parts for the outer wing sections (parts N51 and N58). Folks who have glued them to the wing halves accidentally have had issues getting thr wings onto the spars. 

The Barracudacast ignition detail set is for the Birdcage Corsair. The -1A kit has both versions in it. I haven't checked my -1D kits to see if they have bith as well. If you don't mind PE, there's an FAA harness in the kit too. 

It's a fantastic kit. My third one is currently on my bench. 

Carl

Edited by FG2Si
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nicholas mayhew said:

The first 3 links do not work

Sorry! I think I have fixed them. Thanks for letting me know. :sorry:

Mike

2 hours ago, Gordon Parker said:

Many thanks, this will be a big help.

The first three links came up blank but definitely gets me more stuff to work with.

Cheers,

Gord

Sorry, Gordon- I think I have fixed them.

Mike

• Thanks 1

There is an excellent walk around posted on this forum:

From one of the photos I attempted to calculate the size of the intake based on the roundel:

a8kpfxj.jpg

Fundecals has a downloadable pdf file for their Corsair decals, which can be used for FAA camouflage pattern:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/1/3/1184413-16-instructions.pdf

The last page has some photos of the intakes and vent.  My calculating has the bottom vent with these possible dimensions:

underside-vent.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gordon,

Do you have the serial number for Shepherds' Corsair (if you're still considering modeling his aircraft)?  If it is a Goodyear machine, the carbon monoxide vents were factory-installed and were different than those added by the Brits.  Also, all Goodyear FAA Corsairs had Glossy Sea Blue Camouflage on delivery and short-short wingtips.  (Brewster and Vought FAA machines had FAA camouflage and could use either the short or the short-short wingtips.)

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Dana Bell

He should know! If you are interested in pre-dash 4 Corsairs, and want all your questions answered- even those you didn't know to ask, you should get his two Corsair monographs from the Classic Warships Aircraft Pictorial Series, numbers 7 and 8! No consideration for the endorsement, just a very satisfied owner of all of his works, and a Corsair fan. (May you live to be a hundred, Dana, so you can finish the books you still want to do!)

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Gordon Parker

Gordon,

I fixed the three bad links in my original reply- see if they help. BTW- nice work on scaling out the intakes/vents! 👌

Mike

Just had a thought- for the intakes, it looks like the tip of the nose of a 1/72 or 1/48 500 lb bomb half would be about right for the intakes and the vents, as they have rounded noses- that way there would be an opening already made that you wouldn't have to drill out- might be worth a look-see. (A lot easier than trying to make the little buggars in my scale!)

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 7:12 PM, 72modeler said:

Sorry! I think I have fixed them. Thanks for letting me know. :sorry:

Mike

Sorry, Gordon- I think I have fixed them.

Mike

Thanks Mike, work pressures (and a short no electronics holiday) have kept me away from the site, catching up today

Gordon

On 6/17/2021 at 2:44 AM, Dana Bell said:

Hi Gordon,

Do you have the serial number for Shepherds' Corsair (if you're still considering modeling his aircraft)?  If it is a Goodyear machine, the carbon monoxide vents were factory-installed and were different than those added by the Brits.  Also, all Goodyear FAA Corsairs had Glossy Sea Blue Camouflage on delivery and short-short wingtips.  (Brewster and Vought FAA machines had FAA camouflage and could use either the short or the short-short wingtips.)

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana,

and again apologies for my slow replies. According to what I have found; Don Shepperd flew a Corsair II serial JT410 coded T8H and was a camouflaged bird.

Cheers and thanks,

Gordon

On 6/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, FG2Si said:

One thing to make sure you do is not glue the internal frame parts for the outer wing sections (parts N51 and N58). Folks who have glued them to the wing halves accidentally have had issues getting thr wings onto the spars. 

The Barracudacast ignition detail set is for the Birdcage Corsair. The -1A kit has both versions in it. I haven't checked my -1D kits to see if they have bith as well. If you don't mind PE, there's an FAA harness in the kit too. 

Carl

Thanks Carl,

Good to know. I am really a 1/72nd scale guy but after getting a few WNW kits I got the bug for some big 'uns, everything has to be a lot more precise. Should befun being able to actually see what I am doing!

Looks like I am going to building a Corsair II which is the F4U-1a so will order the ignition set and cross my fingers lol. Have ordered the FAA harness from HGW (through Hannants). Their stuff is excellent, I like the fabric texture and separate buckles etc. and I have the sets for my Spitfires and Mosquitoes. As well., I will be using their "Wet Transfer" stencils and cockpit details. Apparently these have no transfer film.

Cheers,

Gordon

On 6/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, FG2Si said:

Carl

On 6/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, JackG said:

There is an excellent walk around posted on this forum:

From one of the photos I attempted to calculate the size of the intake based on the roundel:

a8kpfxj.jpg

Fundecals has a downloadable pdf file for their Corsair decals, which can be used for FAA camouflage pattern:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/1/3/1184413-16-instructions.pdf

The last page has some photos of the intakes and vent.  My calculating has the bottom vent with these possible dimensions:

underside-vent.jpg

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack,

This is the berries!

Gord

Mind mind if I sit in on this one?  

I am planning to build JT410/T8°H myself at some point in 1/48 (I have already done JT537/P136).  I have the Tamiya F4U-1D and have the MDC set to convert to a MkII (btw I don’t know if they do the conversion set in 1/32).  The set contains new fuselage walls with RN radio equipment, propeller, CO vents, aux fuel tank..

Have you got a photo of JT410?  I have seen interpretations with the T painted and chalked, also with the T8°H and °T8H so it might be worth checking references.  Also check out the radio antenna there were all sorts of variations.

Lastly below is what I have on Don Shepard’s claims - I must get around to reading his book..

1836 NAS HMS Victorious Operation Millet I Jan-1945.

04.01.45 0850 & 0900 2*Ki43 Oscar Destroyed.  Vought Corsair II JT410/T8*H

1836 NAS HMS Victorious Operation Meridian I Jan-1945.

24.01.45 0825 Ki44 Tojo Destroyed.  Vought Corsair II JT410/T8*H

1836 NAS HMS Victorious Operation Meridian II Jan-1945.

29.01.45 Ki43 Oscar Shared Destroyed.  Vought Corsair II JT410/T8*H

1836 NAS HMS Victorious Operation Iceberg May-1945.

D4Y ‘Judy’ Destroyed 04.05.45.  Vought Corsair II JT537/P136.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever seen a clear photo of either of Lt Don Sheppard's Corsairs . I have this crop of 8H from a deck line-up (second in line):

0ae0be09-9af2-4cff-8fdb-51141085279f.jpg

There are decal sheets featuring both, but I suspect they are based on artwork extrapolated from photos of other 1836 Squadron Corsairs. Photographic coverage of Victorious' Corsairs in 1945 is not that great.

Edited by iang

This one is interesting, but I've not come across any info from captions or discussion:

cory-jpg.340078

According to this screen capture, the three digit fuselage code would be present on all Corsairs by the time of the Meridian Operation of January 1945:

untitled2-jpg.336075

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

5 NFW (1839 & 1844) Hellcats on Indomitable seem to not have carried the Air Wing Letter ‘R’ during Lentil Oct ‘44 but seem to have them on for Meridian Jan ‘45.  Could this have been the same for 47th NFW on Victorious?

Hello @iang, that particular photo and the screen grab below it were from this forum thread:

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/1-32-tamiya-corsair-ii-1836-sqd-faa.44651/page-3

----------------------------

Looking more at the research done by Fundecals, it seems the smaller size roundels were already prevalent by October 1944?

regards,

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1