AFX 1/24th Spitfire.

Not my usual scale but I have just completed this for someone.   The kit as we know dates back to 1970 and this re issue in the Classic range has all the signs of an old tool. I have never done this one before so was quite fun tucking in to it.   Lots of pairing down of mould seams and flash was essential to get good fits.  I didn't think much of the rudder pedal assembly as there is hardly anywhere for it to fix too so I left it out.  I fixed a piece of plastic card cut to shape to the openings for the ailerons as this area is quite flimsy(see photo).  As my customer wants to hang the model to display in his music man cave I did away with all the gimmicky moving/ removable parts and fixed the main undercart in the up position. These were a bit of a problem When I retracted the legs one did not line up properly as the cover fitted rather awkwardly and out of position. So if one wanted to lower the wheels the covers would be in the way or be forced to break off.( again, see photos).I sorted this by cutting off the locating pegs and chamfered the recess for the legs wider so that the covers fitted better., 

I included the pilot figure for completeness.  The wing to fuselage assembly wasn't to bad but did not lose any dihedral which was good.

fxlb6y.jpg

Above: the scrap plastic sheet cut to shape fitted to the aileron opening to add some strength to an otherwise weak and flimsy area and provided better alignment for the ailerons.

9nBJkt.jpg

4b0zd2.jpg

4zWcgR.jpg

Npsli5.jpg

z3HOGJ.jpg

4UrZvY.jpg

Above: Here. you can see the issue  I had with the wheel bay doors/covers.   Quite a dodgy retract method in the kit. I could not see how to make it work properly. It makes me wonder how many disappointed young builders of this kit back in 1970 there were who were excited in having working parts!!
2lKceH.jpg

8ReTFu.jpg

YQVBZe.jpg

The above pic shows how the covers fit better after some minor surgery. I know the underwing roundels might not be accurate for KL-B but is sort of authentic.  I used them as I accidentally dropped them in to water. Though they are too small at least roundels are there in case someone queried the lack of them. Strict accuracy in the markings was not a prerequisite for the recipient of the model.
GFCPQT.jpg

Its not a kit I'll be in a hurry to do for my self at any time.   The Hurricane Stuka and 109 that I have built in the past for other people were much better kits without the gimmicks.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Paul J said:

Quite a dodgy retract method in the kit. I could not see how to make it work properly. It makes me wonder how many disappointed young builders of this kit back in 1970 there were who were excited in having working parts. 

As one of those young builders of this kit back in about 1972. I wasn't in the least bit disappointed or fazed by complexity of the kit. Confidence of a 12 year old, I suppose.

I built and painted it in Deere's scheme too. It hung proudly on the wall of my bedroom until it suffered category 5 damage in an accident. I have one of the later issues in my stash and I'd love to build to your standard. You did a great job on it. But only the 12 year old me would believe that. 

Great job 

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful build! Forgive my ignorance but what was the material you used to mask the camouflage scheme?

long sausages of white tack and scraps of cheap masking tape. The white tack on mine has taken on a mix of colours but still works well. Just roll out lengths of the stuff and fix to your model on the lighter camo colour first, then fill in between the the white tack with the masking tape to leave the area to be painted the darker colour, in this case; Dark earth first all over the top side , mask and then apply the green. Simples  but a little time consuming but worth it.  Hope this helps

• Thanks 2

An excellent job on this grand old Airfix kit. Lovely work on the pilot, cockpit and overall finish. Just a wee point: Al Deere's Spitty, as depicted by Airfix was serialled with the last two digits ....80...not 90. Easily fixed with a black marker . Airfix never fixed this up.👍

According to a new bit of blurb on the colour scheme sheet in the kit, KL-B was not used by Al Deere but another pilot and there is doubt about the Kiwi logo too.  However, the build is not for me but a friend who is not a perfectionist but just wanted a well made  model of which I hope will fit the bill.

Incidentally the colour sheet in my kit , the KL-B option was printed on both sides and nothing for the optional LO-B 'Bogus'.