AMT 1/25 1967 Shelby GT-350

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I wonder if the Molotow is actually that expensive? You can get a 30ml refill off flea bay for £16.98. I've seen people use it on youtube, and it seems to cover a good black basecoat in 1 or 2 coats. Seeing as you're only likely to use it on bumpers and trim (unless you're doing one of those gawdawful, no taste, bling chrome wrapped Lambos or the like!) then it should do a fair few cars......??

I keep meaning to buy one of those refills but always end up buying something else instead!

K

I'm pretty sure it will spray ok Keith and considering that I'm planning to build a lot of cars with a lot of chrome parts i just think it's a worthwhile experiment. Plus it's nice to try out different methods at the end of the day if it doesn't work out I still have a refill for my chrome pens 🙂👍

• Like 2

Hi Andy, my suggestion for Molotow Chrome is to clear coat it with AK Gauzy Agent, the stuff in the tub with the orange label intended for coating canopies, etc. Most clear coats dull the chrome effect significantly but I found either generously brushing on Gauzy Agent, or even dipping the part in the tub like you would a canopy, gave a very good finish with minimal dulling. The parts could be handled without leaving finger prints or marks, which can be a real problem with the Chrome as it takes ages to dry.

Heres an example of some parts coated with the Gauzy Agent

945A84C8-DFCE-43EB-8DCA-43742C7CF5CA

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Ruston said:

Hi Andy, my suggestion for Molotow Chrome is to clear coat it with AK Gauzy Agent, the stuff in the tub with the orange label intended for coating canopies, etc. Most clear coats dull the chrome effect significantly but I found either generously brushing on Gauzy Agent, or even dipping the part in the tub like you would a canopy, gave a very good finish with minimal dulling. The parts could be handled without leaving finger prints or marks, which can be a real problem with the Chrome as it takes ages to dry.

Heres an example of some parts coated with the Gauzy Agent

945A84C8-DFCE-43EB-8DCA-43742C7CF5CA

Thanks for the tip much appreciated 👍 

21 hours ago, Six97s said:

Decals looks good - you don't hang about!

Thanks im happy with the decals though they should look better once a clear coat has been applied. Progress has stalled for the moment as work commitments take priority but I'll be back with the build soon 🙂👍

On 6/16/2021 at 10:56 AM, Andy J said:

So next up on the bench is this kit from amt. My first impressions of this kit are .....well.....the fitment of the parts to make up the shell are a little hit and miss shall we say 🙄. Also the instructions would have you leave the front and rear panels off until later in the build. This imo isn't a realistic option because of the work involved in trying to line up all the various parts. So I've done my best to make the shell look reasonably well put together and hopefully with a little more fettling it should look ok. Whether or not i can fit the body and chassis together building it this way I'm not sure but I have dry fitted the chassis in position and it seems to fit ok. As for body colour well I was going for black but my son mentioned the metallic grey used on the Eleanor car and now I'm not sure so what do you guys suggest 🤔. Anyway here's a few pic's of the shell in primer like I say not perfect but should be ok when finished 

So now I just need to settle on the final body colour any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

What is this ??

A diversion ??!! :D

I thought you’d been Banned, Andy 🤣

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You just can't keep a good CAR modeller down guys....!! 🤣

Keith

I even weathered the rally cars Keith and there still not happy 🙄👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So finally managed to get back to the bench today and continue work on the GT 350. Main priority today was to get a nice gloss clear coat on the shell which I've managed to do and this can be left alone now for a few days to cure. I have most of the chassis components ready for primer tomorrow so plenty left to do but I'm making progress. Here's a few pic's of the shell with it's freshly applied clear coat 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm happy with the results so far more to come tomorrow. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Of course you should be happy with the result  Andy 🤗 I for myself  would be pride of it. 

Looking forward for the next steps

Marco F 

Thanks Marco it's just starting to come together now but i have to admit that surely this body shape has to be up there with the greatest designs ever 🤔👍

Looks great Andy, by this time I would usually have messed up and put it back in the box...Also my newly painted bodies are fantastic dust magnets. Great to see that you don't have these problems.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Looks great Andy, by this time I would usually have messed up and put it back in the box...Also my newly painted bodies are fantastic dust magnets. Great to see that you don't have these problems.

Thanks for the comment much appreciated 👍. Dust is the enemy of all car modellers and I still manage to attract the odd spot or two but I've learnt to accept it and simply move on. Taking close up pic's as I do will always show flaws but again I can live with it as most people simply appreciate the positives and disregard the negatives. I build my kit's quite quickly so I'm bound to drop the ball occasionally but it's the way I work and I thourghly enjoy myself with every build 🙂👍

56 minutes ago, TimJ said:

Great job on the body, it looks good in black with the white stripes.

Thanks Tim glad you like it 🙂👍