Airfix 1/72 C-47 - Brazilian AF - 1º ETA

This is the Airfix 1/72 C-47, built with some slight modifications and painted to represent aircraft #2015 from the 1st Air Transport Squadron (“1º ETA”), of the Brazilian AF, circa 1973. The squadron was, and still is, based in Belém, state of Pará, in the Amazon, and provide aerial support for both military personnel and the civilian population living in the small towns and villages in the region.  At that time, the squadron also operated PBY Catalinas. At present, I believe they fly Cessna Caravans.

The squadron badge has a winged river turtle, know locally as "Tracajá", and the phrase “Devagar, mas chego lá!” in it, which translates roughly to “I'm slow, but I get there”. 

I've travelled from Manaus to Belém as a passenger on this plane around that time, with my late father as the pilot. So, the inspiration to build the model, as well as some references, came from a few old pictures that I have from that trip. 

The Airfix kit builds well and, as far as I know, is fairly accurate. However, my build was complicated a bit by my choice of having the cargo doors closed, and also because of some modifications that are necessary to make the model represent more accurately a Brazilian C-47. These were mainly the addition of: 1) small windows on both fuselage sides, just behind the cockpit; 2) shorter air intakes at the top of the engine nacelles; 3) red navigation light on the vertical fin and 4) a second ADF football antenna at the top of the fuselage. These were all scratchbuilt.

The model was painted with decanted Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver and Gunze Enamels, and finished with Gunze semi-gloss clear applied over Future. I've kept weathering to a minimum, although these planes normally operated in small unpaved airfields in the region.

The Brazilian AF insignias came from an FCM sheet and most of the lettering was painted using masks made in Corel Draw and cut in a Silhouette Portrait. The squadron badge on the fin was also made in Corel Draw and printed in a blank white decal sheet using an inkjet printer. The lettering just above the side windows were made in a laserjet printer.

Hope you like it. Your comments are welcome.

Ivan

C47-7

C47-8

C47-6

C47-9

C47-5

C47-14

C47-2

C47-13

C47-1

• Like 64

Yep- that's one pretty Dak; nice to see one not in OD/grey and invasion stripes for a change. Very nice build! 👍 A very nice tribute to your father, who was a lucky to have flown such a legendary airplane.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1

That is seriously good! :clap2::clap2:

A level of perfection I will continue to strive for, but will likely never reach.

I have two civil DC-3 kits (an Italeri and an Airfix).

My Italeri build stalled when I lost the windscreen piece inside the fuselage! 😧

Well, your C-47 just might just inspire me to give it another go.

• Thanks 1

Hello IvanP,

You mastered the construction and the color scheme to a very high standard. It looks fantastic.👍

As mentioned:'Slow, but we get there." Even as we speak, there are still some examples flying around in the world, still making money for their owners.

Regards, Orion.

• Haha 1