Very sad news - Nigel Heath has passed away

Duncan B

This is so very sad. He was a fine, funny fellow whose builds were always entertaining and educational. I also enjoyed the way he measure his recipes to the gram... quite a bit ahead of his time.

Thanks for letting us know, Duncan. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

• Like 2

Sad news indeed.

In my early days on BM Nigel was always ready to post helpful advice and detailed techniques in his WiPs. 'WWND' (What Would Nigel Do) became a common post in my builds as I learned from him.

He will be missed.

RIP Nigel.

• Like 4

Oh that's dreadful news Duncan, deeply,deeply sad.....

I met Nigel a couple of times on his club stand at Telford, a really friendly guy and always happy to chat.

R.I.P. Nigel, you'll be sadly missed.

Keith

• Like 2

I started lurking on here around the time he was building AA the Dalek,

His builds were outstanding, as were his meals. 

Strange, it was only last week I was wondering where he was as he hadn't been on here for quite a while.

Never managed to meet him, although I may have seen him at Telford and never known of course.

Rest In Peace.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

What was it he mainly built,i'd love to have a look at some i've looked through the Sci-Fi RFI and can only find one from 2014...

Hi Vince,

From what I saw at Aberdeen Modellers' Society meets it was probably more helicopters and Luftwaffe '46 usually in 1/72 he built most of in terms of numbers. You'll find his threads here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/profile/11914-nigel-heath/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try this one Vince, all 73 pages of it & everyone a Gem. I think it was his Flying Banana build that introduced me to his unique style, food & modelling combined with lots of good advice & brilliant modelling technique.  Although I didn't interact with him a lot, too much in awe perhaps, I greatly admired his work. Condolences to family & friends,

Steve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ive been absent for a while as i'm moving house and when my good friend Rog called in this week and gave me the news i was very saddened to hear it, i conversed with Nigel both through these pages and early on by direct email, the man was such an easy one to converse with on ALL subjects a true gentleman, i too absolutely adored his threads at first though i was shocked at the inclusion of recipes in his them but came to really look forward to them !, these pages were made better by Nigels input and ive missed him being on and now hes gone forever all i can do is remember him often and fondly , when i get to my new abode i will extract a Flying Banana from the collection and build it using some of his wonderful techniques and idea's its the least i can do

Britmodeller needs varied input and input of the type Nigel gave us so lets try to honor him that way ourselves

Rest in peace Nigel 

Condolences to the Family and his many friends worldwide

• Like 8

Terrible news indeed. Nigel's Luft 46 builds and his helicoptery were threads to provide us with education & entertainment in the arts of scratching, whom Nigel was a master.

He will be sadly missed.

R.i.P.

• Like 1

I am very sad about this news.  I just found out this morning from a facebook post his daughter made regarding missing him for father's day.  Also, thanks to Rick for sending me a message about his passing.  I, too, have been missing from this fine forum due to health reasons from my back and neck limiting my already limited manual dexterity.  When I first joined this website, Nigel took an interest in my builds and tried to help me improve my pathetic building skills.  I remember with fondness his daily posts on his build progress that ended with how he prepared his evening meal and a picture of it.  I know this incurred the wrath of the Moderators (sorry Mike), but they were great posts and revealed a part of him that did not come out from his builds.  Nigel came to visit me in the states for a week a few years ago.  I took him to every modeling/aviation site I could think of in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.  He was so kind to my family and the memories of trolling through all the model shops and the interesting places he wanted to visit for lunch and evening meals are priceless.  He will be missed.  He made this token colonial very welcome to a great forum.

• Like 10

Only just seen this too, very sad news. I only met Nigel once, I think it was at the last Birmingham show where he introduced himself at our table and we had a good chat about all sorts of things (may have even touched modelling, at some point). A friendly, knowledgeable chap, and an excellent modeller. Sincere condolences to his family. 

RIP Nigel.

• Like 1

I just stumbled on these very sad news, I'm very sorry to hear this.

I never had the fortune to meet Nigel in person, but besides following each other's builds on this forum a couple years ago, we also exchanged many interesting PMs about various aspects of life beside modelling, and he was always a very nice person to chat with. And he was a very skilled modeller too. Not to mention his cooking, that slipped through quite often in his postings early on, and was very enjoyable.

RIP Nigel, you will be remembered.

• Like 1

I have only just seen this post,am in shock😔,i always looked forward to his builds and managed to help him out in sourcing a kit for one of his projects,a true master of his craft.

My condolences to his family.

Neil.

ana fatalbert.

• Like 1

It was Nigel’s funeral yesterday. Unfortunately I was unable to attend however all his modelling friends were represented by another modeller  and close friend of Nigel’s.

I hope Mike doesn’t mind me reposting this about the funeral from another Forum.

“Just got back from Nigel's funeral, yesterday.

IMG_9136-600x437.jpg

Heart breaking stuff, especially listening to his achievements winning young engineer awards as a teenager, mentoring his fellows at Jaguar, restoring an old Victorian house etc. Susan, his sister, quoted from the many posts here. His family have asked for any donations to go the the Midlands Air Ambulance as shown on the order of service.

He's buried in a lovely spot overlooking open fields, not far from where he was born, his grave is easy to find if you're passing Stoke and would like to pay your respects, though the headstone may not be up for a little while.

@BlackMike Models feel free to repost on Britmodeller, he had many friends there and they would be interested as well.

Anil”

All in all a very sad day for his family and friends. 

Duncan B

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just seen this and I'm genuinely saddened by the news. I first found this forum by stumbling across his dalek build, which was captivating to follow and lead me to read through all of his build threads. Seeing what he was able to achieve was jaw dropping, yet his posts were always humble while managing to pass on his tremendous skills to others in the process. It gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get back into modelling and to sign up here. I’d hoped I might be able to meet him one day as he seemed like a genuinely nice bloke. My condolences to all of his family and friends.

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I only now just discovered that Nigel passed away last year, and I am shocked and deeply saddened at the news. I was an avid follower of his builds here on Britmodeller and had been wondering why we hadn’t heard from him in a long while. 

I had a chance to meet him when he was over here a few years back and found him to be every bit as charming and witty in person as I imagined him from his writings. He had some bewilderment and a great chuckle over my Texas (mis)pronunciation of “Dalek.”

R.I.P., Nigel. You left us much too soon.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Very sad to have learned of Nigel’s passing. I followed quite a few of his threads over the years and found him to be a truly lovely bloke.  His Dalek profile pic is one of the many original members images I followed/ stalked before gaining the courage to post up myself. He will be missed. 😔

• Like 2