Very sad news - Nigel Heath has passed away

Duncan B

I am very sad to report that Nigel Heath passed away yesterday after a long illness. For a time Nigel was a prolific contributor here on Britmodeller. He was happiest when scratch building interiors that would never see the light of day and hunting where he had placed the tiniest of fire extinguishers became something of a running gag. 

His non modelling posts, particularly his recipes, got him into hot water on several occasions with the Mods but he never intended any offence, he simply wanted to interact with those on here he considered to be his friends.

Nigel was certainly a one off, he was the most selfless person I have ever met, always considerate and kind to those who knew him. I shall miss him. 

My condolences to his family.

Duncan B 

• Like 2
  • Sad 42

Very sad news indeed Duncan, I was thinking about his Dalek at the weekend. I certainly remember his recipes. I had always hoped to meet him at a show one day.

My sincerest sympathies to his family and all who knew him.

• Like 1

Very sad to hear this.

He was a master modeller and his Flying Banana diorama was epic. He was so generous with his time and advice.
His recipe posts within build threads always made me smile (and feel hungry).

Maybe someone could arrange a gallery of his builds...and food - would be a nice tribute.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

Rest in peace.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Wow that's a shock. I had no idea Nigel was ill. His helicopters were always quite special little models.

That Flying Banana of his became my Nemesis. Whenever I entered a competition if the Banana was there it would pip me to the post. It became a standing joke between us.

11 minutes ago, Jockster said:

Very sad news indeed Duncan, I was thinking about his Dalek at the weekend. I certainly remember his recipes. I had always hoped to meet him at a show one day.

My sincerest sympathies to his family and all who knew him.

I had the dubious honour of helping Nigel carry that Dalek from the Hotel to the Halls at Telford one year. I was so scared I was going to drop or damage the blooming' thing and I got the strange feeling it didn't like me!!

Duncan B

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's sad.  I had no idea :(

Neither had I, he never mentioned being ill the last time I spoke to him on the phone a few months back. In fact he was looking for a 1/72 scale Saturn V (God only knows what kind of crazy interior detailing he would have carried out on that lol).

Duncan B

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Neither had I, he never mentioned being ill the last time I spoke to him on the phone a few months back. In fact he was looking for a 1/72 scale Saturn V (God only knows what kind of crazy interior detailing he would have carried out on that lol).

Duncan B

Life really is too short. :(  We could all do with paying a bit more attention to that truism. :)

• Like 6

Very sad news.

It was through following Nigel's Dalek build that I discovered that not all modelling sites were full of negative judgmentalism.

So thank you, Nigel, for influencing me to join BM and to enjoy the  great modelling and banter that were your Banana and Dalek builds, among others. R.I.P.

Rog 

• Like 8

Duncan, thanks for letting us know.

That really is a shocking piece of news. So sad.  I've often wondered what Nigel was up to as people have already mentioned, he was a prolific modeler and then things suddenly went quiet about 2 years ago (?). 

Kind and generous to a fault - he sent me a Red Cross parcel of crisps and stuff when I mentioned that I missed these things since living in the USA.  

Thanks Nigel. You brought a lot of fun to the table. 

• Like 7

We had tremendous fun when he was on here regularly. He built many fabulous models and his methods were always easy to follow.

I've missed him these past few years on here, and now it's permanent. How very sad indeed. Nigel, Mate, you were a star. Thank you.

• Like 8

Very sad news indeed. I was only thinking recently that I hadn’t seen him on the forum for a while. His attention to detail and his recipes will be sorely missed.

Happy modelling Nigel 😔

Trevor

• Like 2

I can only add to the air of shock and dismay at this terrible news.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nigel (I don't know if he thought the same !!) at a small club show on the edges of Birmingham one sunday a few years ago. As I was ambling around some club tables, I saw a model and thought " that looks like one that Nigel Heath's just completed." Then I saw another model by that one and thought "Good God, Nigel's just done one of those, too! This bloke must be copying Nigel."

Yes, you guessed, I said to the chap arranging the models "You must have seen these models done on Britmodeller by a chap called Nigel".

He said - "I am Nigel"  Once I'd filled the hole in that I'd dug for myself, he accepted my apologies and we had a chat about modelling, why on earth he was at this local show on the edge of Birmingham, miles  from his home, and he said something on the lines of he'd been invited by Birmingham club and he thought it would be nice to go.

You know, Nigel's a man who will be fondly remembered here for two things - great modelling and great meals/recipes - an extraordinary achievement.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 9

Very sad indeed.

I never met the bloke, other than through this site, but he always struck me as a fine crazy, and the world needed more of his kind. A superb modeller, and his recipes were pretty fine as well - I even tried more than a couple. He will be greatly missed.

• Like 2