Harrier fatigue life question

Stuart Wilson

Does anyone know the fatigue life (in hours) of the original harrier? I've read that the AV-8C modification added an extra 4000 hours, but not what it was added on to. I was wondering if the GR3 were removed from service because they were time expired or because of cuts (end of the Cold war etc). I know half a dozen of them were only about eight years old but if the rest of the fleet were getting on they may have been the only airframes with much life left.

Thanks for any responses

Stuart

Interesting question!

The Sea Harrier and its upgrade definitely outlived the RAF version!

So I think the the new GR5/7/9 were simply so much better that after 91 there was not much need for the GR3....

16 hours ago, tweeky said:

The Sea Harrier entered service mush later than the RAF Harrier, We'd had the GR1 and the airframes had been upgraded to Gr3 standard well before the FRS1 entered Sqn Service.

seems that a total of ~118 GR.3 was built from 1966? to until ~1982

so some rather old and some rather young airframes when reired.

The Sea Harriers lived on until 2006 (being introduced in 1978)

the German Wikipedia site is by far more extensive by the way ;)

I was on 1sqn when we went from GR3's to 5's, most of the 3's were fatigued and limited to what g they could pull, there was a lot of fuss if it was over 3! The 5's had a bigger pay load and up to date avionics. The T4's stayed on longer because at first there was no 5 twin stick.