JU-88 G-6 Natchjäger Dragon 1/48

IMG_20210615_094307_273

I am going to start this new project I got Eduard PE seatbelts and a friend of mine gave me Brass antennas for the natchjager variant, but I am still wondering which camo I will be using, I decided I want to go with the green scribbles over the spot camo, but I love how the black underside looks on night fighter aircraft of this era, I haven't found any  information about the aircraft represented on the artbox, so maybe I will be taking some artistic liberties and mix both options provided in the instructions.

IMG_20210615_103847

IMG_20210615_103902

Basically I am thinking of doing the first scheme, but with the underside black camo of the second.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Looking nice. How does this one compare to the ICM kit? Apart from the much better Cartograf decals.

Edited by Sturmovik

On 15/06/2021 at 15:53, René Martínez said:

but I am still wondering which camo I will be using, I decided I want to go with the green scribbles over the spot camo, but I love how the black underside looks on night fighter aircraft of this era, I haven't found any  information about the aircraft represented on the artbox, so maybe I will be taking some artistic liberties and mix both options provided in the instructions.

the green scribble is late war AFAIK.  I'd be really surprised to see this with a black underside

This is a colour pic with green over 76

Color-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G-Stab-I.NJG2-(

apparently "Junkers Ju 88G Stab I.NJG2 (4R+FB)"

from the same page, this is neat scheme

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/NJG2.html

"Junkers Ju 88G 6.NJG2 (4R+EP) Fritzlar 1945"

Junkers-Ju-88G-6.NJG2-(4R+EP)-Fritzlar-1

there is this NJG 101 plane

Junkers-Ju-88G-NJG101-WNr-714891-Czechos

this is a close up of the tail of the above, 

Junkers Ju 88G NJG101 WNr 714891 Czechoslovakia, light with a darker overspray,  I'd suggest dark green,  as ground concealment became  important late war. (as in the top colour photo)

Junkers-Ju-88G-NJG101-WNr-714891-Czechos

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/NJG101.html

This may have a black wing on the starboard side, note the white cross, but is lighter under nose and cowling.

OK, the 2nd scheme is not NJG4, but NGJ 3, (assuming Asisbiz has not messed up....   )

Junkers-Ju-88G-4.NJG3-(B4+FA)-WNr-621197

B4+FA, WNr 621197 Gutersloh

51248887876_e92c1e6fa3_b.jpg

I suspect the 'black' undersides are just misinterpretation of the shadow on the photo,  the Luftwaffe stopped using black underside in late 43 or early 44 I think, though some planes used one black wing as ID for searchlights.

Note, the instructions suggest RLM77 as the main colour, RLM 76 was the standard,  and if you compare the photo to profile,  note the serial is the wrong size and spacing, and 'RLM 74' darker mottle is more likely to be denser patches of RLM 75, but it's not the clearest of photos.

Also, some planes were factory painted in RLM 76 undersides, the uppers in either RLM 74  or RLM 75, and then at unit level RLM 76 squiggle was applied, at the first this look like dark grey mottle over the light blue-grey,  but look carefully, especially at the cowling and nose, and you can see the light colours is applied over the darker base, note the canopy framing is the darker grey.  The He219 preserved in the USA shows this detail more clearly. 

A-partially-destroyed-Junkers-Ju-88G-NJG

Luftwaffe nightfighters are not an area of expertise, but I've picked up some info on colours over the years.

For this you want to asking the WWII sections,  but @SafetyDad @FalkeEins  maybe able to help, but ask for any clarification of the points/photos above.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, René Martínez said:

IMG_20210615_094307_273

I am going to start this new project I got Eduard PE seatbelts and a friend of mine gave me Brass antennas for the natchjager variant, but I am still wondering which camo I will be using, I decided I want to go with the green scribbles over the spot camo, but I love how the black underside looks on night fighter aircraft of this era, I haven't found any  information about the aircraft represented on the artbox, so maybe I will be taking some artistic liberties and mix both options provided in the instructions.

IMG_20210615_103847

IMG_20210615_103902

Basically I am thinking of doing the first scheme, but with the underside black camo of the second.

I recall reading that the Dragon decals are inaccurate and it would be a shame if your lovely G-6 suffered as a result. Check out the AIMS stuff, he is an 88-nut :)

Troy has this pretty much covered in terms of colours and an overview - black undersides were not used late war on Ju 88Gs - a batch of He 219s had them, but thats another story. Some post-war wrecks do show one black underwing (for AA recognition as @Troy Smith states, but again, not widespread). 

The sheer diversity and inventiveness of late-war Ju88G schemes is impressive.

First, here's one of your options photographed at Prague in 1945 - you'll need some pretty nifty airbrush skills ;)

ju88g_6 NJG.101 - Copy

Then Troy's aircraft

Ju-88G-I_NJG2-(4R+FB)-Braunschweig-1945-03 - Copy Ju-88G-I_NJG2-(4R+FB)-Braunschweig-1945-02 - Copy

a larger and slightly clearer version of Troy's colour picture of the same plane

Ju88G6 NJG2 in colour - Copy

and finally, some of the most distinctive ground-camouflaged Ju 88Gs were found in Denmark, including D5+RW, the so called 'giraffe scheme'

Ju88G D5+RW giraffe colour

Ju88G6 D5+RW - Copy

Not much detail in this shot, but look at the variety of schemes within the same unit! Denmark 1945. I do wonder if the ground crews had some kind of competition going for the most imaginative scheme! :cwl:

JU88G6 lineup Denmark all D5+

check out the Aims decal sheets instructions - these are a great source of schemes and colour details.

(Picture credits LEMB forum)

SD

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/3/2021 at 4:10 AM, SafetyDad said:

Troy has this pretty much covered in terms of colours and an overview - black undersides were not used late war on Ju 88Gs - a batch of He 219s had them, but thats another story. Some post-war wrecks do show one black underwing (for AA recognition as @Troy Smith states, but again, not widespread). 

First, here's one of your options photographed at Prague in 1945 - you'll need some pretty nifty airbrush skills ;)

ju88g_6 NJG.101 - Copy

Then Troy's aircraft

Ju-88G-I_NJG2-(4R+FB)-Braunschweig-1945-03 - Copy Ju-88G-I_NJG2-(4R+FB)-Braunschweig-1945-02 - Copy

a larger and slightly clearer version of Troy's colour picture of the same plane

and finally, some of the most distinctive ground-camouflaged Ju 88Gs were found in Denmark, including D5+RW, the so called 'giraffe scheme'

Ju88G6 D5+RW - Copy

Not much detail in this shot, but look at the variety of schemes within the same unit! Denmark 1945. I do wonder if the ground crews had some kind of competition going for the most imaginative scheme! :cwl:

check out the Aims decal sheets instructions - these are a great source of schemes and colour details.

SD

Thanks! I tried to to my research, but couldn't find any definitive information. Now I know I won't be painting black de underside of the fuselage, those pictures are amazing, thanks again!

I've been thinking about the wheels, the ones provided with the kit are quite bland, I found some spare ICM ww2 bomber wheels I had laying around and modified the thread accordingly to the proper reference.

ruedas

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, René Martínez said:

Thanks! I tried to to my research, but couldn't find any definitive information. Now I know I won't be painting black de underside of the fuselage, those pictures are amazing, thanks again!

Great timing Rene!

I've just been checking the Aims instructions for their 1/32 Ju88G decals, and these show B4+FA with a black starboard underwing as per Troy's picture above.

HTH

SD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Nicely done so far. Built this kit some time ago and it went together well. I also did the box art scheme based on the photo posted by SafetyDad. Note that the starboard engine cowl, seen behind the jettisoned canopy, appears to be a replacement as it does not have the squiggle pattern on it. A pic of that detail on mine:

16030404-jpg.338421

• Like 6

On 03/07/2021 at 17:40, SafetyDad said:

ju88g_6 NJG.101 - Copy

Then Troy's aircraft

Ju88G6 D5+RW - Copy

SD

great picture, interesting theres a black one, 4th one along with white spinner am I correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walter said:

great picture, interesting theres a black one, 4th one along with white spinner am I correct?

Just had another look at those pictures - I hadn't really taken in that particular machine.

It appears in all three pictures if we accept that they were taken with the aircraft lined up in the same order. Which seems a reasonable asumption.

The first colour picture is taken through its cockpit windows, and shows the colour of the starboard engine nacelle and wing. Now 76 year old colour pictures are subject to colour shift and change, but I would suggest that the upperwing might be solid RLM 75 rather than black? This is a known scheme for late war aircraft.

The second B&W pic also shows the starboard side of this  Ju88 , behind D5+RW . Again, I feel this is not black, but rather a dark shade. So grey for me.

Just my 2p - it's always a bit of a guessing game interpreting B&W pics and I've enjoyed the experience of re-evaluating these pictures as a result of your observations on them, so thanks!

SD 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 04:04, Crimea River said:

Nicely done so far. Built this kit some time ago and it went together well. I also did the box art scheme based on the photo posted by SafetyDad. Note that the starboard engine cowl, seen behind the jettisoned canopy, appears to be a replacement as it does not have the squiggle pattern on it. A pic of that detail on mine:

16030404-jpg.338421

Chapeau to you sir for your airbrushing skills! Taken that close to the model, that picture is remarkable!

Both patterns of mottle are beautifully done.

SD

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2021 at 11:04 PM, Crimea River said:

16030404-jpg.338421

Amazing work! 

I'm aiming to get a similar result, question: does the canopy always had a darker color than the rest of the fuselage? If that's a yes, which color should I use?  

I've seen a lot of photos with the canopy darker, others with the same color, I am kinda confused in that aspect 

On 7/5/2021 at 9:12 AM, SafetyDad said:

Great timing Rene!

I've just been checking the Aims instructions for their 1/32 Ju88G decals, and these show B4+FA with a black starboard underwing as per Troy's picture above.

HTH

SD

So it would be accurate to paint only the starboard underwing black, do you have a picture of the scheme to see the reference too? 

Well, I took these couple of days to prepare everything for the more complex camo and patterns.

After the black primer I decided to do some black basing, it's really time consuming, but I got really good results doing this technique in the past.

IMG_20210829_230430

IMG_20210829_230417

• Like 8

That looks amazing Rene. As for the canopy frames, I'm not 100% sure of the colours but agree that they are often of a darker shade. On my model, I studied the photos and elected to go with RLM 75 though 66 might also be possible. I doubt that any field-applied schemes such as the Wellenmuster that I depicted would have seen ground crews mask every canopy glass panel in order to incorporate the field paint onto the frames. As always, a close study of pictures of your subject is the best indication of what the frames should look like.

14 hours ago, René Martínez said:

So it would be accurate to paint only the starboard underwing black, do you have a picture of the scheme to see the reference too? 

I haven't got a picture to hand - I'll have a look for you.

14 hours ago, Crimea River said:

That looks amazing Rene. As for the canopy frames, I'm not 100% sure of the colours but agree that they are often of a darker shade. On my model, I studied the photos and elected to go with RLM 75 though 66 might also be possible. I doubt that any field-applied schemes such as the Wellenmuster that I depicted would have seen ground crews mask every canopy glass panel in order to incorporate the field paint onto the frames. As always, a close study of pictures of your subject is the best indication of what the frames should look like.

+1 for this. You really need a picture of your specific machine to be sure. 

HTH (I know it doesn't really). Let's see if I can turn up a pic

SD