1/72 - Convair XFY-1 Pogo by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released

Homebee

Here is an English translation (via Google) of the announcement on KP's page;

"The first traditional one returns to its sales bestseller after a few years, which is the perpendicular Convair XFY-1 POGO. At the time of its creation, it did not appeal to me personally, but the sales numbers from the received KP archives speak clearly - it was a hit. Now, after several years, when this model was not on offer, we decided, in agreement with the company Direction, to resume production from our original KP molds, which were slightly tuned and cleaned. New moldings, two large frames with parts are made of medium gray-blue, easily machinable plastic and are complemented by a small frame with transparent parts for the divided cabin of this bizarre machine. The parts of the kit are provided with a slightly coarser but clean negative engraving without depressions or defects. The model is assembled from a relatively small number of parts, which is in line with today's trend "there is beauty in simplicity" and even a beginner can easily build the construction."

So i gather they have polished up the original molds somewhat.

A couple of years ago I had a really fun time building a whiffed in-service Lindberg 1/48 kit with rocket pods from an F-89, this looks like fun too! Gearing the props may be a bit trickier though...

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Convair XFY-1 Pogo by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - box art+sprues+schemes - re-release in 2021

And that does look good in navy blue!

I could just see the Japanese as having bought some of these for merchantman convoy defense in a Alt Hist setting against the Communist Chinese in the 1960s.  They'd have been just the thing to have parked on deck of some cargo ship - ready at a moment's notice to fend off any attackers and be just capable enough to keep those attackers busy until the fighter jets from the US carriers arrive.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Convair XFY-1 Pogo by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released

The impressive prop with it's blades is the best parts of this kit. But one have to take care building the cockpit to get everything accurate. Rather interesting aircraft when finnished. :)

Cheers / André 

12 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Seriously tempted by the Fleet Air Arm markings!

I could not resist and got two.

One for next to the Lockheed XFV-1, and like you, liked the FAA one too much :P

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...