Size discrepancies in 1/48

28ZComeback

In comparing my Ultracast resin 1/48 pilots to CMK 1-48 and Tamiya pilot figures, I note size discrepancies between the various manufacturers. The ultracast pilots appear to be giants compared the CMK figures. Has anyone ever compared the relative sizes of 1-48 scale resin figures for accuracy?  Perhaps Ultracast is intentionally “over scale” for marketing purposes? Thank you for any comments. 

You could measure their height. I've had too short and too tall. I had a Japanese WWII pilot who measured out to 6 ft but should have been more like 5 ft 3 in (https://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/05/30/173407)

One size factor is the intended placement, outside the aircraft or inside. Inside will tend to be smaller to fit within the model with its grossly over-scale structure and canopy thickness. I just measured one canopy and it scaled out to 3 in thick, that's about 6x thicker (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl-ZqEohODE for a video showing WWII canopy manufacturing). The rest of the cockpit or aircraft structure is similarly overscale, including that seat. You can also see the same effect of modern ejection seats. Get a properly sized seat and it doesn't fit.

Another factor is historical heights, see https://ourworldindata.org/human-height. A modern person who might have been the model for a figure is definitely taller than a WWII pilot, who was likely born in the teens or 20s.

• Thanks 2

I don't have any 1/48 Ultracast figures, but a height of 5'8"  would scale to about 36mm. 

Checking through the stash for standing figures...

Jaguar German WWI  pilots - 37 to 38mm

Jaguar Italian WWII pilots - 36 and 39mm

Hasegawa IJN WWII pilot - 34mm

ArtofWar German tank crewman - 37mm

Alpine German tank crewman - 35 to 36mm

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

dnl42 make a good point about the practicalities of sizing figures to go inside models.

With regards historical heights of people, it's worth remembering that pilots tended to come from middle class backgrounds, so would be less prone to environmental stunting. I have also read that archaeological studies of pre-industrial burials shows that our ancestors were not in fact significantly shorter than us.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 9:43 AM, 3DStewart said:

With regards historical heights of people, it's worth remembering that pilots tended to come from middle class backgrounds, so would be less prone to environmental stunting.

Good point. However, there are height limitations as well, due to cramped cockpits, resistance to G forces (the more distance between heart and brain, the more red/black out) and an increased risk of spinal injuries during ejection. 

I have also read that archaeological studies of pre-industrial burials shows that our ancestors were not in fact significantly shorter than us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#History_of_human_height 

Cheers,

Andre 

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1

People do of course vary in height, so unless your figure scales up to seven feet or to four, I'd overlook that and check the sizes of items that you know have a fixed size.  This works better on army figures than aviation - you can measure, say, rifles or water bottles - but if there's some piece of kit that should be the same size in every case and it's not, that could indicate which manufacturers are closer to the right sort of size range.

• Thanks 1

IMG_20210503_224906

Both this figures are in 1/48 scale from different manufacturers....ICM on the left and tamiya on the right.  So yes ... I know what you mean. By the way even if manufacturers take on account different human heights , some parts of the body should be the same size . For example the head or hands...

• Thanks 1