1/350 Hasegawa Akagi Dec 7th 1941 first wave

It's been a long time since I posted here other than comments.

I recently completed the 1/350 Hasegawa Akagi and depicted the scene just before the launching of the first wave of the Pearl Harbor attack.

The Akagi was the flagship of the Kido Butai which consisted of 6 carriers. The engines have been warmed up and mag checks done, the aircrew are getting the last details of the briefing and are about to head to their planes, the maintenance crew are standing by to release the tie downs and remove wheel chocks and some crew are lined along the flight deck to cheer the aircrews on.

The ship was painted using Lifelike and Vallejo paints. The Hasegawa PE sets "A", "B", "C", Super Detail Set and the General Jack Stay set were used along with several general PE stets including Infini's IJN Type 96 25mm twin AA guns. The additional aircraft are the Hasegawa Carrier Based aircraft sets and Infini IJN Carrier Aircraft Detail set "A" was used to install the aircraft interiors and detailing. The crew were from Northstar and Tori Factory. The project took over 1100 hours over 13 months. This kit, along with the 1/96 scale HMS Victory which I will complete someday, has been the most time consuming, labor intensive and expensive project in my 55 years of modeling.

I only wish I had better photography equipment and software to do it justice.

thank you for looking.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 57
  • Thanks 8

24 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

‘I love that sea scape’ 👍👍👍

And I love the story your model tells us.

Groups of people on the decks, vibrant atmosphere. I almost hear roar of engines and fell smell of the sea.  

Another masterpiece are deck's structure. All these crazy pillars, supports and beams. Needs lot of time, patience, skill and precision. Gratulations!

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Superb job. There's a huge amount of building in this particular model and plenty opportunities to mess up. You've done great :)

Thanks mate.

3 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

As the late, great, Darth Vader would say: Impressive. Most impressive.

Oh and I'd like to know how you did the turning props on those aircraft?

David

Thanks David,

The props were taken from the Infini IJN Carrier Aircraft "A" PE set as well as the AM Model Works IJN Carrier Aircraft Dynamic Propellers set. I'm not keen on PE prop spin and rather have nothing to demonstrate a spinning prop but in this instance, I wanted to show different speeds and the fact that all of them were running. 

Cheers Mate

This is great! A perfectly spotted deck of an incredibly well-built carrier. I hope your model survives longer that the original - don't send it to Midway!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Toryu said:

This is great! A perfectly spotted deck of an incredibly well-build carrier. I hope your model survives longer that the original - don't send it to Midway!

Thank you Toryu,

I have been interested in the PAO and specifically the Japanese since I was a teen. The Akagi, being my favorite carrier, with all her girders and overhangs just makes her look mean in my opinion. I read and watched what I could for research but "Shattered Sword" was an invaluable source of information regarding the IJN's carrier operation procedures. That and the few old photos available.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, robgizlu said:

Very impressive modelling and so much going on B)

Rob

Exactly what Rob said, it'd be nice to spend an hour with the finished model just looking over all the details 👍

• Thanks 1

Amazing! In a lot of ways I think aircraft carriers represent the pinnacle of the craft of modelling - a combination of the variety, large size, small scale and general level of fiddly detail. And this is a stunning carrier.

Love the PE work under the flight deck, that must've been quite the mission.

Will

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 7:19 PM, Bitzer said:

"Shattered Sword" was an invaluable source of information regarding the IJN's carrier operation procedures.

For me, THE best book about the Battle of Midway...

• Like 1