Marlboro day glow red in a rattle can .

Windy37

As the title suggests does anyone know of a decent Marlboro day glow red in a rattle can that anyone out there can recommend .  It is for an 80s car , so don’t know if the shade changed over time . I remember watching Marlboro backed F3 cars in a day glow red shade (Mika Hakkinen , makes me feel old ! ) I don’t airbrush so wondered if there’s a can that would do the trick .  
Gary . 

Tamiya 1/20 M23 instructions show Tamiya Spray TS-36 which may be appropriate?  Online the swatch looks red but the can lid looks Orange, which kind of matches how I remember the cars varying colour by seasons, magazine illustrations or colour TV back in the day!

• Like 1

Is it for a rally car Gary? If so I'm pretty sure that some were a solid red rather than dayglo, eg the Marlboro Celica and Sierra both driven by Carlos Sainz, IIRC... as well as others...

Keith

The F1 and F3 cars were the orangey day glo at the time,that spraycan is definitely for those cars. Not sure about the rally cars though. You need pictures of the real thing,as many as possible! Chris.

• Like 1

Not to argue with Chris as I have no idea really, but I've just looked on Scalemodelshop and they show TS-36 as fluorescent red (& the ''colour chip'' does look red) with TS-96 as fluo orange - so maybe they've changed the colour?

Keith

Edit - sorry forgot link - https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/?product_cat=&s=fluorescent+red&post_type=product

Both the 'red' and orange are on that page. Usual disclaimer I have no connection with scalemodelshop other than spending too much money there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you have pictures of the real car? If you have then try to match that colour,as everyone says Marlboro red / orange is definitely variable! This is the problem I always have and have built up a large library of old magazine picturese etc.this can be more interesting than the actual modelling sometimes too! Chris.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Do you have pictures of the real car? If you have then try to match that colour,as everyone says Marlboro red / orange is definitely variable! This is the problem I always have and have built up a large library of old magazine picturese etc.this can be more interesting than the actual modelling sometimes too! Chris.

Chris , the amount of time set aside for building that I have then lost while doing research can be counted in months . Even before the internet I used to spend hours looking through old Autosport mags for that one picture I knew was there somewhere  ! 

The pictures I'm using show it to be red Marlboro so think that's what I'll go with.  

Gary . 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orso said:

This Nissan looks rather orange

More red-orange to me....!! 🤣

Dayglow 'colours' are a bit of a nightmare and never seem to photograph well, I get the same problems with aircraft models. I was wanting to build a model of an Auster I'd photographed myself at an RAF Odiham families day - I knew from looking closely at it that it had dayglow red tape panels on it - when I downloaded the pics they were completely orange!!

Might also be why I've never built a Marlboro car....!! 

Good luck Gary!  

Keith

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Orso said:

1920px-Nissan_Violet_(PA10)_front-left_2

This Nissan looks rather orange

The car I’m planning is the Nissan 240 RS , same colour scheme as the above . Thanks for all the suggestions . 
Gary . 

• Like 2

The Nissan 240RS is Ral 3024. Tamiya TS-36 is probably the easiest to get hold of in a spray can. Or you can sometimes get Ral 3024 mixed into a spray can on eBay. When I finally get round to mine I'll be using Mr Color #173, which is what is recommended by Beemax, but you need an airbrush to apply it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

The Nissan 240RS is Ral 3024. Tamiya TS-36 is probably the easiest to get hold of in a spray can. Or you can sometimes get Ral 3024 mixed into a spray can on eBay. When I finally get round to mine I'll be using Mr Color #173, which is what is recommended by Beemax, but you need an airbrush to apply it..

I think the general consensus is Tamiya TS 36 , like you suggest Steve . I’ll get some ordered and hopefully make a start .

Gary . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2021 at 20:34, Steve Noble said:

I have just used Mr Color 171 as suggested by Hasegawa for their Marlboro Yamaha and, in the cold light of day, it is nowhere near their decal colour. It is far further on the orange scale than the red. Hopefully a couple more coats and the gloss coat will darken it.

It's a bit of a minefield this Marlboro Red.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I have just used Mr Color 171 as suggested by Hasegawa for their Marlboro Yamaha and, in the cold light of day, it is nowhere near their decal colour. It is far further on the orange scale than the red. Hopefully a couple more coats and the gloss coat will darken it.

It's a bit of a minefield this Marlboro Red.

It's a common problem trying to match paint to decal colour and almost impossible. I remember visiting the Donington GP Collection many years ago where they had many McLaren F1 cars from the 80's and 90's. None of the decals on the cars matched the painted areas exactly. After that I gave up trying and just went with whatever paint I preferred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just sprayed Tamiya TS 36 onto my Nissan kit and it looks the same bright red , almost pink ( ! ) colour I remember from the Marlboro backed single seaters of the 80s / 90s . It’s slightly translucent , so maybe a bright red as an undercoat would be the way to go in the future with this colour . 

8 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

It's a common problem trying to match paint to decal colour and almost impossible. I remember visiting the Donington GP Collection many years ago where they had many McLaren F1 cars from the 80's and 90's. None of the decals on the cars matched the painted areas exactly. After that I gave up trying and just went with whatever paint I preferred.

I too saw the large collection of a McLarens  at Donington. , Steve . A fine sight indeed . 
Here’s a shot of my Nissan , more in the WIP for the build . 
51274625168_79b186daaf_c_d.jpg

Gary . 

• Like 4