HMS Calcutta, C Class Cruiser 1941 - 1/350

My goodness that is beautiful, you have certainly produced a great model in a brilliant setting. Well done. 

• Thanks 1

As always - I am your faithfull pupil, Professor 😉

One question, if I may. It seems ship's stern is rather "high", over waterline. Is this intentionall effect?

Thanks in advance,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Fellas - you are very kind.

13 hours ago, socjo1 said:

As always - I am your faithfull pupil, Professor 😉

One question, if I may. It seems ship's stern is rather "high", over waterline. Is this intentionall effect?

Thanks in advance,

Michał.

Michal - well spotted :winkgrin:  the truth is that this ship is not "glued" down - it can be lifted from the styrofoam and I didn't push it down quite hard enough!!

Rob

• Like 1

This is to my eyes one of the most attractive ship models I have seen, everything about it is just right and subtly understated, I have been looking at the pictures for about half an hour now, and I'm still finding things, thank you Rob, for making my day...........simply gorgeous !

cheers

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is great model of beautiful ship with interesting history.

BTW, it is very interesting how the Calcutta changed after 1938-39 conversion, completely different armament and mast rearrangement. Such power of adaptation to changing conditions was great in the Royal Navy!

• Thanks 1

Wow, that’s super Rob!

You could just dive into that water! I really must try a seascape… 

Love the subject, colour scheme, base - all top notch.

Guy

• Thanks 1

Ps 

Not at all a criticism, but the base would look fab with a black, smooth plastic (or other) surround around the sides. Would be tricky to cut smoothly to shape to follow the wave line. I’ve no idea what you’d use or how you’d go about it, but it would really finish off the beautiful sea scape.

Do you display your models Rob? Must have a big cabinet if you do! I’d love to see pics if you have any?

Cracking job,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

"As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean", except in this case neither are idle but full of life. Beautifully presented Rob & beautifully modelled, a great pleasure to view indeed. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Fellas - really appreciate your nice comments :)

On 6/19/2021 at 6:42 AM, Gisbod said:

Ps 

Not at all a criticism, but the base would look fab with a black, smooth plastic (or other) surround around the sides. Would be tricky to cut smoothly to shape to follow the wave line. I’ve no idea what you’d use or how you’d go about it, but it would really finish off the beautiful sea scape.

Do you display your models Rob? Must have a big cabinet if you do! I’d love to see pics if you have any?

Cracking job,

Guy

Hi Guy 

I bought some "Foamex Foam sheet" and indeed some balsa before that to "surround" the styrene board, but decided I actually prefer the styrofoam base "bare".  My models are built for me and to share with you guys - I don't belong to a club and wouldn't consider ever "competing".  It's become my House style.

As to space - good point - I've run out :weep:

I have a single cabiinet and when it's full - something within gets bumped - my AFV models continue to diminsh :lol:

2021 06 20_2915

The other reason for keeping Styrofoam bases is that they lend themselves to display within perspex cases.

The Sherman on display is due for the chop, so i've just posted some pics in AFV RFI.

I intend to model some "Minor war vessels" for a while partly due to the space issue.

Thanks again ALL.

Rob

• Like 6

Nice! 

But you will definitely need a larger cabinet or build some FlyHawk 1/700 ships!

They look great, it was only an observation, looks brilliant as is 😀

Guy

• Like 1