The DC-9 is one of my favourite airliners. So many classic liveries look smart on that plane type. I've always liked the KLM scheme, whether it be the old stripe tail or the new blue fuselage livery.

I built this KLM DC-9-15 from a Fly Models kit with Polish manufactured Techmod decals. They were quite fragile and I had to correct them at various locations. The decals were a tough fight to win. The cockpit window decals I ordered from Authentic Airliners.

The kit was quite simple and easy to assemble. I had to modify certain parts and add scratch built details and there was some puttying and sanding to be done. I painted the white upper fuselage with Tamiya Fine Surface Primer that I then covered with Tamiya gloss varnish TS-13. As to the metal colour areas of the plane I primed them first with Tamiya black TS-14. After having let the black cure properly I sprayed the areas with AK Extreme metal aluminium. For the details I also used Vallejo acrylics and Humbrol enamels,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Einar
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 1

Quite nice, Einar! I’m very partial to the classic airliners…and like you, the DC-9 series is among my favorites. Really like the shades in detail you made on the engines. I’ve used the AK Extreme metal paint once, and liked it…but I am a solid Alclad fan and user. Did you find the AK likeable and easy? Did it produce the finish you wanted? Love the old KLM livery, too…very nice work, indeed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Thats great, I love the look of what I guess would be called old Airliners.  

Thank you

Einar

Simply beautiful Einar 🥰 

When I started my aviation career with Scandinavian Airlines back in 1985, we still had some DC9-21/-41 in the fleet in the old SAS viking livery with the dragon head. They would also make a good subject for a DC9 model. 

Those were the days ... 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing another fine build Einar.

I really disliked the Fly DC-9 the one time I built it so congratulations from me for getting such a good result. I would never have guessed the natural metal was brush painted.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Thanks for sharing another fine build Einar.

I really disliked the Fly DC-9 the one time I built it so congratulations from me for getting such a good result. I would never have guessed the natural metal was brush painted.

Dave G

Thanks Dave, No, I did not paint the metal areas with a brush. I air brushed them with my Badger 150. I'm very sorry for the wrong words I used. I have already correct my brain fart to my post!

Cheers

Einar

9 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Simply beautiful Einar 🥰 

When I started my aviation career with Scandinavian Airlines back in 1985, we still had some DC9-21/-41 in the fleet in the old SAS viking livery with the dragon head. They would also make a good subject for a DC9 model. 

Those were the days ... 

Thank you desert falcon,

Modelling an SAS airliner in the old livery is one of my nect projects

Cheers

Einar

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Einar said:

Thanks Dave, No, I did not paint the metal areas with a brush. I air brushed them with my Badger 150. I'm very sorry for the wrong words I used. I have already correct my brain fart to my post!

Cheers

Einar

That makes more sense! It's still a lovely finish however you achieved it. AK Interactive is great stuff.

• Like 1

Superb build again.

I also like the DC-9 and its many versions.

Classic design,reliable and great to fly in.And the sound of course...music to the ears...

Thanks for sharing another fine classic

Alex

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Superb build again.

I also like the DC-9 and its many versions.

Classic design,reliable and great to fly in.And the sound of course...music to the ears...

Thanks for sharing another fine classic

Alex

Thank you Alex, In addition for us Finns the DC-9 in all its sub-types was very important. It was the work horse of Finnair for several decades. 

spacer.png

This is my model of a Finnair baby DC-9 (1/144, Authentic Airliners kit with 26Decals)

Cheers

Einar

Edited by Einar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Einar said:

Thank you Alex, In addition for us Finns the DC-9 in all its sub-types was very important. It was the work horse of Finnair for several decades. 

spacer.png

This is my model of a Finnair baby DC-9 (1/144, Authentic Airliners kit with 26Decals)

Cheers

Einar

Very nice as well.

It looks classy in this livery.

I remember seeing the DC-9-30s and MD-80s frequently in Zurich as well as the SAS aircrafts.

They really served those airlines well in all those variants.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Agent K said:

Oh that’s lovely, classic livery and a beautiful model.

Thank you!

Cheers

Einar

3 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

A beautiful scheme on a very well finished model

Thank you Tim

Cheers

Einar

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rb277170 said:

Beautiful model . Most people go for the blue fuselage top KLM livery, but that’s how I remember KLM DC9s at Glasgow in late 60s early 70s . Brings back a lot of memories . 

Thank you, 

I have many living memories of the old KLM livery, too

Einar