SBS Models 1/72 DH.88 Comet

I've always been fascinated by the De Havilland DH.88 after seeing a replica of it in the Comet hotel , Hatfield back in the mid 70's, it was on a pole as you drove into the car park and eagerly built Airfix's offering as a young modeller, when it was rereleased a few years back I bought a kit but looked at the quality of the old castings and put the box back in the stash somewhat disappointed.  Having looked on google maps it still appears to be there in the car park.

Fast forward to Scale Modelworld 2019 and walking round I came across SBS Models stall in a dark corner of the 'International' hall.  The red plane jumped out at me straight away and after a quick chat and parting with £27 I brought a kit home.

Having seen it a few weekends ago while looking for something else in the stash I decided it was time to through some glue and paint at it.

The kit is multi-media with resin cast parts, white metal, crystal clear resin, PE and film, and I have to say the standard and detail in the resin casts is wonderful.  With over 40 parts, not including the PE it should build into a very nice replica.

So on to the contents.  Box and parts laid out.

Ym5Vu9X.jpg

Close up of wings

l6SsYiZ.jpg

Resin parts

9znFCEK.jpg

HufVryp.jpg

Photo-etch & film

9DQRQhD.jpg

Canopy & nose bubble

h9VvLGI.jpg

One touch I do like is that the Pitot tubes and aerials are moulded with protective sides so the don't get damaged.

On to washing and cleaning up, not that there will be much as the casts are wonderful, did I already mention that!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

It is a lovely kit. The only issue I had with mine was the fuselage fitting together around the front of the cockpit. General Melchett did a beautiful job on one and this is mine

• Like 1