Duxford to get a hotel on site

Julien

1 minute ago, ckw said:

If true, I would imagine that would be for those who were attending on 'business' and their organisations were paying the bill.

You could well be right, Colin. For a huge aviation / armament company, I'm sure £1,000 a night wouldn't be any kind of trouble at all. 

Chris.  

57 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

....because the Premier had a restaurant and bar!!, 😉😂🍻

Without my reading glasses, I read the last word as barff.  I assumed it was a comment on the food in aforesaid restaurant.  Says something about the level of establishment I tend to frequent.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

You can guarantee that the hotel's prices will either double or triple during air-show weekends. I don't know how true this is but, last time I attended RIAT, there was a rumour floating around that a nearby hotel was charging £1,000 a night to its guests. I find the idea that anyone would actually pay this kinda money for one night just plain mind-blowing. 

Chris.   

Market forces and price modelling. None of this should be a surprise. Hotels will not set rates that nobody will pay for, obviously. But.... when demand is up then rates will go up which will offset lower margins during quiet periods. If for example I want to fly LHR - MAD Monday morning in June (in normal times) it's more expensive than, say, midday Wednesday January. More people are competing for the seats.

38 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

You could well be right, Colin. For a huge aviation / armament company, I'm sure £1,000 a night wouldn't be any kind of trouble at all. 

Chris.  

But you can bet that "big business" would have it booked up months in advance and wouldn't be paying full whack. Those types of organisation have their own travel depts, or arrangements with third parties, who negotiate discounted deals with hotel chains often on a worldwide basis.

18 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Without my reading glasses, I read the last word as barff.  I assumed it was a comment on the food in aforesaid restaurant.  Says something about the level of establishment I tend to frequent.

Actually the food was very nice, especially the buffet style breakfast.

I have slightly amended said post. 😂

John (With spectacles on)

Edited by Beermonster1958

22 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Can you define "normals" please? 😉

The honourable gentleman's pithy observation below is harsh but fair! 😉

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

"normal" = anyone with my preferences and who spends their money the way I do.

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2021 at 6:04 PM, IanC said:

- 'your premier ticket includes double room, breakfast, access to our exclusive Spitfire rooftop bar (One Spitfire Gin or Supermarine Wodka included) and programme'. 😀

Fixed that :D

I mean.. they'd be mad not to.

On 14/06/2021 at 14:34, Beermonster1958 said:

Maybe better transport accessibility might be just as important as bringing visitors as a new hotel might?

Slightly off topic, but I quite agree with this. Despite Whittlesford Station being just across the M11, it is woefully under utilised. I've picked my son up for an air day from Whittlesford and there was nobody else getting off the train! There are supposed to be 50 trains a day from Liverpool Street to Whittlesford, although I'd bet that drops significantly on a Sunday.

IWM say on their site 'There are taxi ranks at Royston and Cambridge, or you can take the 7A bus from Whittlesford Parkway (Monday to Saturday only).' I hate to think what a taxi ride from either Royston or Cambridge would cost and the idea of depending on a bus service that does not run on a Sunday is frankly ludicrous.

They obviously haven't heard of shuttle buses.

And don't get me started on the wholly inadequate access road, or lack of. Duxford is a great resource but they don't make it easy for the average punter to get there, and forget it if you don't own a car.

As to the hotel, well, if it makes money for them, great. If it's really going to be run by Hilton, not so great.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:29 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

If it were the case that during the months of January and February that there were no visitors for "several days" I'd think the museum might actually close during those months and, open seasonally (March to October for example) like some museums do.

What you were told, may in fact be an exaggerated account.

Not wanting to be a smart-bottom here, but Duxford is open all year round, regardless of visitor-numbers. The information about no visitors in much of January or February was imparted to me by a lady who was sitting behind the ticket-desk. I can see no reason whatsoever why she would "lie" (as per your implication) about this information. This would be of no benefit to her or the museum, if it were false. 

Chris. 

7 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I can see no reason whatsoever why she would "lie" (as per your implication) about this information. This would be of no benefit to her or the museum, if it were false. 

Chris. 

I didn't imply any such thing. The exact words I used were "exaggerated account".Not quite the same thing.

How you choose to interpret a comment is of course your prerogative but, I accept no responsibility for any interpretation.

I am well aware that Duxford is open all year round but, thank  you for the reminder anyway.

I was of course merely speculating that if, visitor numbers were as low at certain times as you implied in your post, then it might be more cost effective to open on a seasonal basis only.

However, I suggest that this is getting a bit off topic so, I think it best to leave it there.

John

On 14/06/2021 at 08:56, ckw said:

No, but unfortunately required in large quantities to maintain aircraft flying or static.

Is this a bad thing? A lot will depend on exactly where it is located. On the positive side it may offer an interesting new photography position.

I would image the focus will be on tour groups rather than family holidays - this is a big business, esp. for the US market. Just look at how many visitors at a big show are part of a tour group.

What strikes me as odd is why did they move Flying Legends if this was in the pipeline - I am certain they could fill that hotel at premium rates years in advance for the Legends weekend!

Cheers

Colin

Flying Legends was moved by The Fighter Collection (TFC) who arrange the two day show.  Rumour has it that IWM demanded a higher percentage of the 'take', more than TFC was prepared to pay.  TFC did say they'd keep their aeroplanes at Duxford but there are other locftions who would be more than willing to 'host' them. It would be a shame if the private collections decide to up stakes and relocate elsewhere, don't you think?

IWM seems to be busily increasing their charges overall - especially to stall holders at airshows - just think about how many stalls have vanished from shows over the last few years.

The aritst's impression of the hotel seems to place it to the south or the Aerospace hanger, between it and ARC's premises.

Hope this helps,

Jonny

We have a government that insists on museums "paying their way".  I'm sorry if this is regarded as "political" but the IWM is only doing what it has to do by government order.  So stop knocking them: place the blame where it belongs. 

• Like 3

Maybe DX would think about hosting a model show on one of those slow Saturdays in February/March to liven things up a bit. The show at Cosford is one of the best of the year with traders and clubs scattered amongst the exhibits. Duxford is no more remote than Cosford with lots of modellers down the M11. Shuttleworth's little model show in early spring is a good day out and generates extra revenue for the museum.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum's Saturday shows in mid-February and October all produced good attendances with then times the number through the gate compared to a usual day, bringing in good revenue at door, in the shop and the cafe. Their show stopped when someone realised that they were paid just the same on a quiet Saturday in February as they were for enduring all the extra work that the model show generated - shame!

On 6/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Graham Boak said:

We have a government that insists on museums "paying their way".  I'm sorry if this is regarded as "political" but the IWM is only doing what it has to do by government order.  So stop knocking them: place the blame where it belongs. 

Absolutely and having seen some of the funding proposals over a 10 year or so period from mid 2010's to mid 2020's government funding was forecast to be reduced by in excess of 50%. Whilst not always supportive of every one of their decisions, I also know what they are facing and trying to do to mitigate it.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 1

So it will be behind the super duper hanger? I wonder if you stay at the hotel during an airshow weekend if there will be an additional charge, otherwise you can view the show from the roof terrace without paying to go in............

23 minutes ago, F-32 said:

I wonder if you stay at the hotel during an airshow weekend if there will be an additional charge

I would imagine the room rate during an airshow weekend would be the normal roomrate plus the airshow cost plus a fair bit more!

Cheers

Colin

3 hours ago, Paperback writer said:

The Fleet Air Arm Museum's Saturday shows in mid-February and October all produced good attendances with then times the number through the gate compared to a usual day, bringing in good revenue at door, in the shop and the cafe. Their show stopped when someone realised that they were paid just the same on a quiet Saturday in February as they were for enduring all the extra work that the model show generated - shame

Hmm no doubt some truth but the real reason and its my pet bug bear is when the historical/Hysterical dockyard took over priced everyone out so they went to the much better less grim Tank museum....tank museum 1 FAAM 0.

I really despise the Hysterical dockyard with an absolute passion .....that lot would sell their granny to make a quick buck 🤔allegedly 

14 hours ago, F-32 said:

So it will be behind the super duper hanger? I wonder if you stay at the hotel during an airshow weekend if there will be an additional charge, otherwise you can view the show from the roof terrace without paying to go in............

I believe the proposed location is behind the Air/Space hangar.

Access to  the rooftop terrace is likely to be restricted to hotel guests only, regsrdless of date/occasion and, I would suspect that for the air show weekends ,  it may be limited to those who have purchased an accommodation /airshow package which will include admission to the show!!

They won't miss a trick!😉😂

With the hotel not due to open till 2023,its going to be a while before we know for sure.

For myself, I retire in 2023 so, I will be looking for a treat to myself and my partner!

She is already planning ahead!! 😂

John

John

Now if I owned/leaded/managed the hotel, straight away I'd have special airshow and event weekend packages, that includes tickets to the airshows (heck I'd have negotiated a deal with IWM for Gold Airshow passes to have a full champagne/luxury airshow weekend experience. The top floor and balcony would, I suspect be a roof top bar? with access to those paying for it/hotel guests. Doesn't take too much brain to work out what would be possible if you were charged with managing the hotel.

As a regular visitor to Duxford, and yes Mrs 821 and I have been there during the winter months, and spoken with staff and volunteers, as other have said the main issue is that the current government wants museums to pay their way. Building the hotel will some way towards that. As to the development plan, last year the IWMs advertised for a project manager to oversee the development plan, but nowhere in the material relating to the post was there a copy of the plan.

One observation that has not yet been made is the queuing time to get into Duxford on Airshow days. If you come from the East of England it's often a two hour traffic queue from the A11 (A14) - A505. Then there is the issue of leaving the site after the show. I cannot see a hotel  being willing to subject its customers to this sort of delay. 

On e the subject of viewing areas. I have attended a number of conferences in Airspace over the year and the balcony there is ideal for viewing. I remember one memorable day when the Mig-15 took off. Luckily it was during a break between sessions and I got some excellent photo's from said balcony.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Graham Boak said:

We have a government that insists on museums "paying their way".  I'm sorry if this is regarded as "political" but the IWM is only doing what it has to do by government order. 

And that is the problem in a nutshell. Well said.

14 hours ago, Paul821 said:

One observation that has not yet been made is the queuing time to get into Duxford on Airshow days. If you come from the East of England it's often a two hour traffic queue from the A11 (A14) - A505. Then there is the issue of leaving the site after the show. I cannot see a hotel  being willing to subject its customers to this sort of delay.

You may be right and, for your own circumstances, it's a valid point. But,  another observation if I may.

Not everybody is travelling from the East of England and, I suggest that for air show weekends, most, if not all hotel guests may have arrived the day BEFORE the show and, may very well leave on the day AFTER.

Certainly, for those of us in the colonies (e g Scotland), travelling on the day is not an option! 😉😂.

Certainly, for my partner and I, it would be a 3 night stay (Fri - Sun) as we have done before.

Just think, you and Mrs 821 could travel the day before and then have a leisurely breakfast watching the plebs and, hoi polloi struggling to get in! 😉😂.

John

Ps -  I do sympathise with those in the queues!! I've been there! RIAT springs to mind.....!