Duxford to get a hotel on site

Julien

On 14/06/2021 at 08:56, ckw said:

No, but unfortunately required in large quantities to maintain aircraft flying or static.

Is this a bad thing? A lot will depend on exactly where it is located. On the positive side it may offer an interesting new photography position.

I would image the focus will be on tour groups rather than family holidays - this is a big business, esp. for the US market. Just look at how many visitors at a big show are part of a tour group.

What strikes me as odd is why did they move Flying Legends if this was in the pipeline - I am certain they could fill that hotel at premium rates years in advance for the Legends weekend!

Cheers

Colin

Flying Legends was moved by The Fighter Collection (TFC) who arrange the two day show.  Rumour has it that IWM demanded a higher percentage of the 'take', more than TFC was prepared to pay.  TFC did say they'd keep their aeroplanes at Duxford but there are other locftions who would be more than willing to 'host' them. It would be a shame if the private collections decide to up stakes and relocate elsewhere, don't you think?

IWM seems to be busily increasing their charges overall - especially to stall holders at airshows - just think about how many stalls have vanished from shows over the last few years.

The aritst's impression of the hotel seems to place it to the south or the Aerospace hanger, between it and ARC's premises.

Hope this helps,

Jonny

We have a government that insists on museums "paying their way".  I'm sorry if this is regarded as "political" but the IWM is only doing what it has to do by government order.  So stop knocking them: place the blame where it belongs. 

• Like 4

Maybe DX would think about hosting a model show on one of those slow Saturdays in February/March to liven things up a bit. The show at Cosford is one of the best of the year with traders and clubs scattered amongst the exhibits. Duxford is no more remote than Cosford with lots of modellers down the M11. Shuttleworth's little model show in early spring is a good day out and generates extra revenue for the museum.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum's Saturday shows in mid-February and October all produced good attendances with then times the number through the gate compared to a usual day, bringing in good revenue at door, in the shop and the cafe. Their show stopped when someone realised that they were paid just the same on a quiet Saturday in February as they were for enduring all the extra work that the model show generated - shame!

On 6/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Graham Boak said:

We have a government that insists on museums "paying their way".  I'm sorry if this is regarded as "political" but the IWM is only doing what it has to do by government order.  So stop knocking them: place the blame where it belongs. 

Absolutely and having seen some of the funding proposals over a 10 year or so period from mid 2010's to mid 2020's government funding was forecast to be reduced by in excess of 50%. Whilst not always supportive of every one of their decisions, I also know what they are facing and trying to do to mitigate it.

Edited by Agent K
  • Like 1

So it will be behind the super duper hanger? I wonder if you stay at the hotel during an airshow weekend if there will be an additional charge, otherwise you can view the show from the roof terrace without paying to go in............

23 minutes ago, F-32 said:

I wonder if you stay at the hotel during an airshow weekend if there will be an additional charge

I would imagine the room rate during an airshow weekend would be the normal roomrate plus the airshow cost plus a fair bit more!

Cheers

Colin

3 hours ago, Paperback writer said:

The Fleet Air Arm Museum's Saturday shows in mid-February and October all produced good attendances with then times the number through the gate compared to a usual day, bringing in good revenue at door, in the shop and the cafe. Their show stopped when someone realised that they were paid just the same on a quiet Saturday in February as they were for enduring all the extra work that the model show generated - shame

Hmm no doubt some truth but the real reason and its my pet bug bear is when the historical/Hysterical dockyard took over priced everyone out so they went to the much better less grim Tank museum....tank museum 1 FAAM 0.

I really despise the Hysterical dockyard with an absolute passion .....that lot would sell their granny to make a quick buck 🤔allegedly 

Now if I owned/leaded/managed the hotel, straight away I'd have special airshow and event weekend packages, that includes tickets to the airshows (heck I'd have negotiated a deal with IWM for Gold Airshow passes to have a full champagne/luxury airshow weekend experience. The top floor and balcony would, I suspect be a roof top bar? with access to those paying for it/hotel guests. Doesn't take too much brain to work out what would be possible if you were charged with managing the hotel.

As a regular visitor to Duxford, and yes Mrs 821 and I have been there during the winter months, and spoken with staff and volunteers, as other have said the main issue is that the current government wants museums to pay their way. Building the hotel will some way towards that. As to the development plan, last year the IWMs advertised for a project manager to oversee the development plan, but nowhere in the material relating to the post was there a copy of the plan.

One observation that has not yet been made is the queuing time to get into Duxford on Airshow days. If you come from the East of England it's often a two hour traffic queue from the A11 (A14) - A505. Then there is the issue of leaving the site after the show. I cannot see a hotel  being willing to subject its customers to this sort of delay. 

On e the subject of viewing areas. I have attended a number of conferences in Airspace over the year and the balcony there is ideal for viewing. I remember one memorable day when the Mig-15 took off. Luckily it was during a break between sessions and I got some excellent photo's from said balcony.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Graham Boak said:

We have a government that insists on museums "paying their way".  I'm sorry if this is regarded as "political" but the IWM is only doing what it has to do by government order. 

And that is the problem in a nutshell. Well said.

• 1 month later...

That's what I did last time (2019). 
Book a Friday ferry from Hook, and a hotel room near Colchester or so as FOB - then it's just an hours drive in the morning. Not much queues btw.

• 5 months later...

For me at the moment a Hotel inside Duxford museum would be brilliant. My father is 100 years old in Febuary he worked for the FAA during most of WW2 and then served with the RAF. His mobility is limited and only this year accepted being in a wheelchair. He had his 80th at Duxford with a trip up in a tiger moth, and to take him back for this 100th could have been brilliant.

A hotel on site could have made that possible, I would have loved for him to hear a Pegasus (or Merlin second best) engine fire up again.

Ian

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The west wing said:

For me at the moment a Hotel inside Duxford museum would be brilliant. My father is 100 years old in Febuary he worked for the FAA during most of WW2 and then served with the RAF. His mobility is limited and only this year accepted being in a wheelchair. He had his 80th at Duxford with a trip up in a tiger moth, and to take him back for this 100th could have been brilliant.

A hotel on site could have made that possible, I would have loved for him to hear a Pegasus (or Merlin second best) engine fire up again.

Ian

Sounds like a fab idea Ian .100 not out 😀

Gotta ask your Father why on earth did he cross transfer to the junior service after spending the war in the senior service? Easier paper round maybe 🤔 

1 minute ago, junglierating said:

Gotta ask your Father why on earth did he cross transfer to the junior service after spending the war in the senior service? Easier paper round maybe 🤔 

Dad was a civilian engine fitter based at RNAS Lee on Solent (HMS Daedalus) from 41 to 45. After the war he was called up on national service in the RAF, so they sent him for training as an.......engine fitter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the artists impressions, or whatever they call them, it looks a bit of an ugly building !  But that’s my subjective view and sadly I know a lot of present day hotels are done this way.  Make a big box like 3D structure to fit all the smaller boxes (rooms) in.  Form follows function.  Sticking a a sloped / wavy roof on the top is a bit of a lazy way of making it look a little funky.

• Like 1

Well, true enough John !  If it’s a long journey to Duxford,  could be a good place to stay so that your visit to the museum is more relaxed.  Away from airshow days the prices could be ok.

I quite like staying in old buildings that are hotels or old pubs with rooms.  I just like buildings with a bit of character.  Doesn’t mean the plumbing always works well though !

As a complete aside, I went to Bicester briefly the other day and thought the old RAF buildings had been really well preserved.  I dont know how well it represents, say a 1930s RAF station (it dates back to WW1 originally), but it did feel like a bit of a timewarp.  There are lots of interesting looking vintage car restoration companies there.

• Like 1