A general dynamic duo - 1 down 1 to go

I have some options for this GB.

In the stash I have 2 Tamiya C’s and a C/N aggressor.

one C is unopened,

(the second we’ll ignore here - I got half way through building and was unhappy with it)

and the aggressor has its eduard cockpit etch applied only.

51245224603_905dfc5faf_h.jpg

51245027696_954fb14893_h.jpg

I intend to do both builds with OOB decals and schemes, the aggressor wearing its native high vis and the C sporting a standard f-16 scheme albeit with the 144th fighter wing’s eagle adorning the tail.

I’ve amassed a healthy selection of AM for these kits, looking forward to using the quinta studio cockpit in particular.

but i could do with a FOD intake cover if I am to use the RBF tags.

51245792874_9adc072e56_h.jpg

Oh, and these two for ref: i forgot to photograph

spacer.png

spacer.png

Might have gone a bit OTT 🤪

See you all on the starting line chaps 👍🤗

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Might have gone a bit OTT 🤪

There's no such thing......... :D

Welcome along Paul and I see you've bought along 2 of Tamiya's gorgeous 1/48th F-16's! :wub:

They are beautiful models to build and I expect to see quite a few in this build.

Just looking at all those lovely AM extras you have......are you sure you're not some long lost relative of mine??? :D  And you have a set of Quinta Studio 3D decals as well! 🥰  I have s the 1/32nd version for my build....I can't get enough of them.

Good with the build/builds, we now have an extra gallery for builds that don't meet the rules for the normal STGB.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

Hey @Dansk, how is that Reid book?  I've been eyeballing those (that one and the A/B) pretty hard here recently but have thus far resisted the urge to pull the trigger.

The reid book is simply fantastic in its detail love it.

the other is good too, but theres simply too much levels manipulation on the photos so they give you a headache looking at them.

22 hours ago, trickyrich said:

There's no such thing......... :D

Welcome along Paul and I see you've bought along 2 of Tamiya's gorgeous 1/48th F-16's! :wub:

They are beautiful models to build and I expect to see quite a few in this build.

Just looking at all those lovely AM extras you have......are you sure you're not some long lost relative of mine??? :D  And you have a set of Quinta Studio 3D decals as well! 🥰  I have s the 1/32nd version for my build....I can't get enough of them.

Good with the build/builds, we now have an extra gallery for builds that don't meet the rules for the normal STGB.

Thanks rich looking forward to this.

oh p.s. any recommendations for a FOD inlet cover? For the early small intake.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

I actually made mine from the foil top from a wine bottle, this represents the canvas cover type. I just cut to shape and some gentle folding, then added some straps. 

You could try making the inserted type FOD cover by using modelling clay, I have done that on an F-111 build of mine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I actually made mine from the foil top from a wine bottle, this represents the canvas cover type. I just cut to shape and some gentle folding, then added some straps. 

You could try making the inserted type FOD cover by using modelling clay, I have done that on an F-111 build of mine.

Did the same on a hornet a couple years ago, works quite well. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did the same on a hornet a couple years ago, works quite well. 

cool i'll experiment with this when i get there

great

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

cool i'll experiment with this when i get there

great

I did mine by cutting a piece of index card slightly larger than the opening’s shape by about 2-3 mm’s. I then used this as a master to draw a line on the foil which i cut out with scissor’s. I then glued the foil in place using microscale foil adhesive. Its best to do this before painting and then paint them after they're set. Along with the rest of the plane. As this is an F-16 the intakes are usually separate bits so would be easy to do before gluing the intake to the fuselage. You’ll be able to get a good clean join on top of the intake. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 6:47 PM, MickE said:

Wow two, it takes me long enough to do just one. 😊

Me too apparently :)

OK sorry for my absence and slackness @trickyrich to your super GB, a long story, but expect wonders from here on in. :)

nothing sexy to see or write home about here but there’s a bunch of minor construction completed and primed with Mr. Surfacer 1500 on both aircraft.

51329349204_8822feffd7_h.jpg

interesting bits so far:

Primed Kit chair left vs. primed eduard right,

Tamiyas styrene effort stands up well.
51328835743_d9c0b5cc99_b.jpg

A favourite bit I’ve done so far :) oval liquid masking.

51329618660_15f8f08ce1_b.jpg

• Like 1

• Dansk changed the title to An F-16 duo

Some things have been painted grey :thumbsup:

51334835386_989079a015_b.jpg

a bit of an obtuse build order but it made sense when I was doing it: 🤔 2 vertical stabilizers

51334105747_4eac9635da_b.jpg

and my new favourite cheapo tool purchased for the equivalent of 1 pound sterling.

its so great with so many grades of abrasion from a rotation all on one stick.
51335836340_4f727a99ed_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

and my new favourite cheapo tool purchased for the equivalent of 1 pound sterling.

its so great with so many grades of abrasion from a rotation all on one stick.
51335836340_4f727a99ed_b.jpg

I've been using these and similar for years, they're awesome and so useful. Plus cheap if you get them from the $2 shop! :D

• Like 2

Some more developments in my camp.

The Eduard PE laden tub (left) and the Quinta Studio adorned tub. (Right)

51337608883_23598c1f14_h.jpg

A lot of my Quinta drcals were impossible to release from their backing paper they seemed dried out and a few on the front face ripped also.

not sure if I’ve had them too long? 
51338123329_b14b6f4318_b.jpg

Ignoring my dodgy alignment of one of the facias, need to sort that, this is the Edurd PE on the left, Quinta right.

51337608868_05bd805a71_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk

Obviously some differences, but hell, they both look pretty damn good by my eye.  I could see the Eduard set being the preferred set for modeling in-flight (or startup on the ramp) as it depicts the screens being powered up.

• Like 1

strange you had issues with the Quinta.

Both look good, the Quinta is the only way to go with the canopy open, with the cockpit so "open" when the canopy is closed then the Eduard ones are great.

Having used both I do think the Quinta ones are the easiest to use, a bit more expensive but on the right model they are the only way to go.

• Like 1

I agree with you rich; Quinta is leaps and bounds better than the Eduard. 

@DaveJL that’s really kind is it a front and rear fod?

oh p.s. has anyone used noseweights in their tamiya kit?

Edited by Dansk

Quite some progress on the deux f-16’s since last time chaps.

Feel like I’m getting somewhere. :)

Here’s pretty much how they were as I left the bench this evening…

51346094726_02f42f19e1_h.jpg
51347116220_a7bdab3200_h.jpg

The most difficult task so far has been mating the upper fore and aft fuselage sections.
I found it very difficult (impossible) to make it seamless with my dodgy skills, but it’s in such a prominent position that it demands focus. 
I’m not sure this is Tamiyas finest engineering moment putting a prominent join there.
My two aircraft are less than perfect some parts of the seams better than other but I’ll attempt some tidying up after a test black primer coat in the near future. 

51346841559_240e42e23d_h.jpg
51346324278_87bb6dd76f_h.jpg
51346094691_8925109ff1_h.jpg

Did you fellow Tamiya builders put weights in to prevent it tail sitting?
I was in doubt so veered to the safe side and added a weight in both aircraft.
Different positions in each as I only realised later with the ‘A airframe’ I’d erroneously omitted it.

Note to self for future: don’t pay the wheel bays until later (Theres more stuff to add there first). 🤨 

51347116165_6ab2f3f3d0_h.jpg

Some interesting points along the way:
Some idiot snapped the control stick off one aircraft. :S (I’ll spare you a macro photo)

I completely missed seeing the ejector pin marks on the cockpit floor. It’s so obvious and visible that I need to fix that. 

And on the subject of ejector pins, The main and nose gear doors are full of them. I tried drowning them in TET to see if it would milden the effect as I couldn’t find the energy to fill them all on the underside of doors that wont be seen.
But It doesn’t really do much.

51345374307_ea127e2010_h.jpg

Usually I use sprue goo to weld intake seams but that takes a lot of sanding and time to get right. This time I experimented with just TET and it works a treat, this shot is with just a tiny amount sanding if i remember right  - it’s just TET run down the seam holding the intake vertically, the same as with sprue goo but applying about 20 times, every 30 seconds or so. Still needs a clean up but it works great! I whacked some white primer over it and thats what you see here.

51347116015_254f1256b3_h.jpg

That’s it to date, loving the kits it’s beautiful Tamiya excellence (except the upper fuselage join)

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

looks like you've been having some fun there!!

I don't remember that fuselage join being so difficult on mine, but nice work with the intake, it look really smooth.

I did add a wee bit of weight to both of mine just to be safe........ unfortunately I got a bit carried away with the Sufa, the poor nose gear is sagging!!:wall:

But you've made great progress! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, Dansk said:

I agree with you rich; Quinta is leaps and bounds better than the Eduard. 

@DaveJL that’s really kind is it a front and rear fod?

oh p.s. has anyone used noseweights in their tamiya kit?

I definitely have the front one, will have a check for a rear too.

• Thanks 1

Probably a bit late but I didn't use any nose weight in my Tamiya builds.

About the seam on the back, I usually have some troubles there aswell in making it seamless without the sanding.

• Thanks 1