Airfix 172 A-4B Skyhawk (yes, that kit again)

klr

I must have clean forgotten to start a thread for this. Oh well ...

This is the starter kit version, not that it makes much difference. I downloaded the instructions for the regular Series 3 release to get more accurate painting instructions.

142694-18633-80-720.webp

The cockpit is much better than the 1980s-vintage Italeri kits I am also building, even if many Airfix parts are moulded too thick for my liking.

IMG_20210609_192248_dr_020.jpg

As with the Italeri kits, progress thereafter was rapid, albeit requiring a bit more filler and cleaning up than I'd have liked.

IMG_20210610_191149_dr_025.jpg

I am going to leave the leading edge slats open. I chickened out with the airbrakes, and decided to close them.

IMG_20210613_191340_dr_025.jpg

I'm not sure yet what to put on the centreline station. Maybe a MER + 6 x Mk. 82 bombs from the ESCI kit, maybe a Bullbup (but which type)?

As with the Italeri kits, I the basic model should be complete by tomorrow evening.

• Like 2

So it's a Bullpup (AGM-12C), courtesy of a Hasegawa weapons set, which also supplied the adapter;. I checked, and found a photo to confirm that the A4D-2/A-4B actually flew with this loadout. There is very little room between the nose of the missile and the back part of the nose-wheel door.

IMG_20210617_192336_dr_030.jpg

I usually paint the tail last, as it's the best part of the airframe to hold onto while painting the rest of it, but this time, I'm doing it the other way around.

IMG_20210618_192733_dr_025.jpg

As time is short, I've already fitted the IFR probe, despite the risk of me breaking it off. As you can see from the previous photo, there is a slight indentation behind the canopy that needs some attention.

IMG_20210619_154118_dr_025.jpg

I just have to attach the arrestor hook (well, I have to paint it first), and the main wheel doors. Tonight will mostly be decalling.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

To clarify, the like is for the model, not that you weren’t able to complete it in time!

AW

What he said, ⬆️, they both look good, this one & the A-4M pity you couldn't squeeze them in.

Steve.

Same here, the like is for the work you have done not the fact that you didn't quite make the gallery.

She really does look very good and I hope that you post some pics of her when she is finished.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for trying so hard to get her finished.