F-16D Block 52+ Polish AF Nato Tiger Meet 2013 **Finished & in Gallery**

Serial number 4082 to be built using the Kinetic kit (and decals).  Part of the appeal for this particular airframe is the fact that parts of the special livery vinyl overlays were lost en route from Poland to Orland - so I'm aiming to finish one side as it left Poland and the other as it arrived in Norway!

As usual, Eduard cockpit etch and seat belts and I think there are some masks lurking around too:

20210613_191727

Back in a week or so,

Mike

• Like 4

welcome along with #2 Mike and I have this same model in the stash as well! :thumbsup:

I love these Polish Tiger Meet aircraft, I've posted one I built early in the open gallery.....I really need to build a second one.

I didn't know they lost parts of the overlay...... someone would have been red faced over that!

Well good luck with build #2

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

welcome along with #2 Mike and I have this same model in the stash as well! :thumbsup:

I love these Polish Tiger Meet aircraft, I've posted one I built early in the open gallery.....I really need to build a second one.

I didn't know they lost parts of the overlay...... someone would have been red faced over that!

Well good luck with build #2

Rich, if the link works this is what 4082 looked like by the time it reached Norway  When it took off from Poland it was as per the box art.

PS With mixing and matching between boxes I could build a Polish F-16C that also went to Orland in 2013 and then of course there is a 1/32 Academy Sufa waiting patiently in the cupboard to become a Polish F-16D.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit has been finished using an Eduard etch set (Designed for the F-16I Sufa but it's the only two seater etch for a Kinetic kit)

20210625_063323

and a start on the intake sections (the fan for this PW powered version is the right hand one)

20210625_062925

More to come over the weekend.

Mike

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Good to see a family model! :popcorn:

I have an earlier boxing of this kit in the display cabinet with the more subtle 2011 markings from Caracal.

Strangely, I was looking at those decals recently as I have the parts to build a Block 52+ "C" but haven't decided yet whether to commit to starting a third F-16

• Thanks 1

nice start on this one as well, plus you scored with IP fitment her as well.

8 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Strangely, I was looking at those decals recently as I have the parts to build a Block 52+ "C" but haven't decided yet whether to commit to starting a third F-16

DO IT!!!!!!  :D

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

nice start on this one as well, plus you scored with IP fitment her as well.

DO IT!!!!!!  :D

Well if I do it will certainly be Polish, either a 48th F-16C or a 32th F-16D but in the latter case don't think I could justify £45 for a Quinta cockpit set

9 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

a 32th F-16D but in the latter case don't think I could justify £45 for a Quinta cockpit set

That’s a whole different magnatude of cost from me and my 1” to 6’ world. 💰

Chris

28 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

That’s a whole different magnatude of cost from me and my 1” to 6’ world. 💰

Chris

Totally agree, I've used one Quinta 48th set but did manage to buy that when Ebay was offering a big discount

you're right it's not cheap at all....... actually all the AM stuff in that scale is a bit frightening... well you could buy a nice 1/48th scale model for each of the AM bits!  

But with this model the cockpit is always the star as it's so easy to see in. The cockpit in the Academy model is actually really nicely done, with time and some really careful painting it'd look amazing.......... but I'm feeling lazy at the moment........ plus I do suffer from a After Market addition!!! :D ........just don't tell SWMBO how much I spend on AM bits!!!!   :whistle:  :chair:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 1:37 AM, trickyrich said:

that new exhaust ring looks like it's going to give you some grief!

....it doesn't look good in that photo does it?  Despite being labelled as "for the Kinetic kit" the shape is slightly off.  However now filled and re-profiled:

20210731_133235

It's difficult to get a great fit round the nose with those three swappable panels but will probably have one more look at that area before fitting the brass pitot and AOA sensors - then it will be ready for the paint shop.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Aircraft is now ready for decals:

20210829_084833

Painting the upper side camo became a bit of an issue:

Initially I'd sprayed the lighter grey (FS36375 MRP038) in very thin patchy coats to get a slightly worn effect.  Trying the same method with the darker FS36270 (MRP039) resulted in an almost impossible to see demarcation - which didn't help with the painting.

I then used a much darker grey (FS36118 as on radome) instead of 36270 to get a more clearly defined camo, which was then oversprayed with 36270.  Although it didn't look too bad, I ended up with a very rough finish to the paint so decided to micromesh the upper surface and repaint.

This time I applied the paint in thicker coats and made masks rather than spraying freehand - the two combining to get a much better finish.

The next task will be to get those overlays on the CFTs but until they are applied I'm not sure exactly where the join is meant to be (each side is two pieces for the side and top of the tanks).

• Like 3

• FortyEighter changed the title to F-16D Block 52+ Polish AF Nato Tiger Meet 2013 **Finished & in Gallery**

Like the Wild Weasel 50th Anniversary F_16C, this one has also been finished this week.

A couple more photos

20210912_141348

20210912_141326

Pictures of this aircraft at the 2013 Meet are scarce, so the loadout is conjecture based on what other Polish aircraft usually carry at these exercises.  The travel pod is almost certainly a work of fiction but it seemed a shame to waste that Tiger Head decal!

On the subject of decals the Kinetic instructions are appalling;  during the build stages there are some part numbers omitted and a few wrongly labelled.  By contrast the Eduard limited edition reboxings have superb instructions.  And as for the decal placement guides, who thought of the bright idea of depicting one of the camo greys as black in the diagrams - so many of the decal label lines just merge with that black and leave no idea of exactly where the decal should be located.  Luckily I have a set of Model Maker Polish Stencil decals and could use their clear diagrams.

Thanks to @Tiger331 for sending me a spare set of undercarriage legs - I think they ended up in this build rather than the Weasel or Aggressor.

There's still one more Kinetic F-16 to be built and that will probably be another Polish Tiger Meet aircraft - the 2015 scheme is tempting

• Like 2

I sooooo love this scheme (well all Tiger Meet schemes), F-16's to look the best in them.  :wub:

Well done on completing a really lovely build, something that'll look great on display. I sooo need to drag my one out one day.

I'm glad you could join us here, I hope you enjoyed it here and again well done on a fine looking model. :thumbsup: