Want to build the Titanic

Lawzer

Folks,

since I was a nipper I’ve always had a fascination with the Titanic (wife says I might have been on it in a previous life…).

built a 1/350 (cannot remember kit maker) years ago and have a hankering to do another.

I know there’s a fair few kits in various scales but I’m looking at one of the 1/400 ones.  As far as I can tell they are all the same mould?

I know there’s the Uber 1/200 but it’s a lot of money and to be fair I’d have nowhere to put it.

anyone built the 1/400 and if so any major pitfalls I should be aware of?

tia!

ian

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Folks,

since I was a nipper I’ve always had a fascination with the Titanic (wife says I might have been on it in a previous life…).

built a 1/350 (cannot remember kit maker) years ago and have a hankering to do another.

I know there’s a fair few kits in various scales but I’m looking at one of the 1/400 ones.  As far as I can tell they are all the same mould?

I know there’s the Uber 1/200 but it’s a lot of money and to be fair I’d have nowhere to put it.

anyone built the 1/400 and if so any major pitfalls I should be aware of?

tia!

ian

Hi Ian

Try doing the search option top right of forum build/ WIP page there looks to be a few builds and a couple are in the scale you are looking for

HTH

Beefy

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No shortage of either kits, after market accessories or information on this subject. Some might say that this subject has been done to death already, but the ship has a fascination all of its own to modellers, researchers, historians and it is the one ship that most of the general public know of even if not remotely interested in ships. If the ship had not gone down in such tragic circumstances, and the general curiosity about the event,  I doubt it there would be any kits of her at all.

A number of years ago I did a crossing on the QE2, and constant runs of the old film ' A Night To Remember' we're being shown on the cabin TV Set. Just what I needed to see, a movie about the Titanic going down whilst on a liner half way across the ocean! 

One of the best books available in named 'Anatomy of the Titanic' that has many useful photos and drawings that I have and can vouch that it is one of the most comprehensive treatises on the subject. Any modeller of the ship will find this book really helpful.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I responded to this. Ian, if you have not committed to a kit already there is plenty of choice by way of plastic kits in different scales, plus plenty of after market items. It really depends on what size model you want and whether you want to make it straight out of the box as a reasonable representation  or spend a bit more on after market items to super detail it. There is a big card model of the Titanic too. I also believe that there are one of two wood kits available. Might be worth having a look at both Hobbies and Hobbys websites. HTH.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had the same idea, to build the Titanic and I bought the Revell 1:350 scale version.  Never got around to building it, too many other 'must do' ideas, and now I don't have the room for one that size any more; a 1:144 scale HMS Ark Royal is occupying all spare space.   I'll probably put the kit up for sale once we've got these festivities sorted out.

cheers
Mike

• Like 1

I built the Revell one some years back. It's an okay model as far as details go, but the overall dimensions seem off - either too short or too wide. It's especially noticeable when placed side by side with their more recent 1/700 Titanic (an excellent kit, btw).

I have the Academy limited edition waiting in my stash that comes with wooden decks, etch and various brass parts. It's highly recommended, but likely very expensive to get a hold of unless they've reissued it.

Regards,

Ross.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 7:05 PM, bootneck said:

I had the same idea, to build the Titanic and I bought the Revell 1:350 scale version.  Never got around to building it, too many other 'must do' ideas, and now I don't have the room for one that size any more; a 1:144 scale HMS Ark Royal is occupying all spare space.   I'll probably put the kit up for sale once we've got these festivities sorted out.

cheers
Mike

Another project that sank without trace?

Selwyn

Running for cover and giggling a lot!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Another project that sank without trace?

Selwyn

Running for cover and giggling a lot!

;)

I see Lidl's have the revell 1/700 1/1200 set for 20 quid.  Might go for that.....

• Like 2

The 1:1200 kit, although small, can look quite good with a lick of paint.

spacer.png

A change of paint and amended lifeboat davits at the front and back and you get Britannic

spacer.png

Another change of paint and additional lifeboats and you can produce the Olympic

spacer.png

If I do build my 1:350 scale version then it would be the Olympic in camouflage.

Mike

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

Another change of paint and additional lifeboats and you can produce the Olympic

spacer.png

If I do build my 1:350 scale version then it would be the Olympic in camouflage.

Mike

Mate!

Now you are talking!!! 👍👍👍

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 19:30, Lawzer said:

Be very careful what you wish for - you have a birthday coming up :lol: :winkgrin: