1/48 Revell/Hasegawa Royal Navy Phantom FG.1 892 Naval Air Squadron "zapped"

1/48 Revell/Hasegawa Royal Navy Phantom FG.1 892 Naval Air Squadron HMS Ark Royal / USS Saratoga. Took little break from from building as I am getting myself ready for a Master's Degree program.  Here is my latest build.  I was originally going to build this kit up as a later FGR.2 hence the navigator's periscope, but I decided to do this aircraft instead. I know early brit phantoms were not equipped with them.  I love these markings and shows a pretty cool historical bond between the UK and US.  The kit is OOB with Xtradecal markings combined with the stencils from the kit ( not sure if they are accurate but they seem to do the trick).  Thanks for looking! 

51245646875_218110e94c_k.jpgFG.1 colonial navy by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51243880042_7c9ab8a2f1_k.jpgFG.1 colonial navy by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51243892822_6241054399_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51243892512_7248a0d128_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51243892277_4862fc0bd7_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51245658905_58a9623f20_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51245365594_94f4391349_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51245658620_6cb7a5fe3b_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51245658565_b41a59ed86_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

51244601271_89b1163f1c_k.jpgUntitled by Reginaldo Reyes, on Flickr

• Like 55
  • Thanks 3

It's very easy to get hung up on the differences between FG.1 and FGR.2, and as you pointed out the Nav's forward facing periscope wasn't there.

But none of that should take anything away from your build, which looks good.  I love the presentation and as you rightly say there is a long tradition of mutual respect between all Naval Aviators and especially between the USN/USMC and the FAA.

If you were ever to do another F-4K (FG.1) then the following should be observed:

Slotted Stabilators.

Cat hooks.

Nose leg tilted slightly aft, only a degree or so but it was noticeable.

The stencils are mostly correct but FAA Phantoms didn't have the bi-lingual emergency markings, these were only RAF Germany Squadrons. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, At Sea said:

It's very easy to get hung up on the differences between FG.1 and FGR.2, and as you pointed out the Nav's forward facing periscope wasn't there.

But none of that should take anything away from your build, which looks good.  I love the presentation and as you rightly say there is a long tradition of mutual respect between all Naval Aviators and especially between the USN/USMC and the FAA.

If you were ever to do another F-4K (FG.1) then the following should be observed:

Slotted Stabilators.

Cat hooks.

Nose leg tilted slightly aft, only a degree or so but it was noticeable.

The stencils are mostly correct but FAA Phantoms didn't have the bi-lingual emergency markings, these were only RAF Germany Squadrons. 

Thank you for the tips. I am not a Phantom expert but will def use your advice on the next build.  

• Like 1

Another very smart build Reggie and looking good in-flight. 

I'll have a Jack and Coke and maybe a glass of whatever is in that fine looking USMC bottle..!!  Semper Fi, Brother.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 29Triplex said:

Reggie,

Another amazing Phabulous Phantom build :worthy:

Keep up the excellent work! and

I eagerly await the next Phantom build from your stash :thumbsup:

Thanks bro! I am on the lookout for 29 Sqn decals in 1/48 for an FGR.2!

5 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Another very smart build Reggie and looking good in-flight. 

I'll have a Jack and Coke and maybe a glass of whatever is in that fine looking USMC bottle..!!  Semper Fi, Brother.  

Semper Fi brother! That bottle was given to me when I got out of the Marines after my second tour in Iraq.  It's a bottle of red wine.  called Jarhead Red hahaha.  hope you are well!

• Like 1