Tirpitz raid Lancaster

matthies

Hi... I have a query regarding WCdr Tait's Lancaster, EE146, KC-D from the Tirpitz raids in 1944. Did the aircraft have it's front turret intact

for these raids? I'm confused because there's a pewter model I've seen online with the turret removed and the space blanked over, which would make sense

as a weight-saving measure, also a print of the aircraft in the same configuration from another company.. 

However, I note that Mark Postlethwaite has depicted the same Lanc on the final raid, Operation Catechism, with the turret intact. I know he researches his subjects thoroughly,

so which is correct - turret or no turret?

The nose turret was retained,.... the mid upper was removed in order to install extra tanks in the fuselage. They had larger bomb doors too for the 12,000lb bomb.

24 minutes ago, tonyot said:

The nose turret was retained,.... the mid upper was removed in order to install extra tanks in the fuselage. They had larger bomb doors too for the 12,000lb bomb.

According to Paul Brickhill in The Dambusters the rear turret came off in order to install the long cylindrical (ex Wellingtin) tanks and was then reinstated.  Getting those tanks in through the dorsal turret aperture would have been every fitter's very worst nightmare. The dorsal turret came off and stayed off.

G'day Matthies,

As Tony says the nose turret was retained on the KC aircraft,the YZ,s had further reaching weight saving measures.The mid upper turret wasn't always removed;

Avro-Lancasters-of-617-Squadron-8-May-19

from https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/tallboy/

tripkc-hsmall.jpg

from http://www.dambusters.org.uk/after-the-dams/raids/tirpitz/

800px-Royal_Air_Force_Bomber_Command,_19

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._617_Squadron_RAF

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

According to Paul Brickhill in The Dambusters the rear turret came off in order to install the long cylindrical (ex Wellingtin) tanks and was then reinstated.  Getting those tanks in through the dorsal turret aperture would have been every fitter's very worst nightmare. The dorsal turret came off and stayed off.

I mean that the tanks were located in the fuselage where the mid upper turret used to be,..... yes of course the rear turret would have to be removed to install them. 

The 617 Sqn Lancs also had the `special' bomb sight. 

Edited by tonyot

Thank you folks for the prompt answers, I was aware of the mid-upper being removed to accommodate the Wellington overload tanks and also the front turret removal on the 'Grand Slam' Lancs' ...but I'm intrigued by the research that led to a model and a print of EE146 with no front turret, because I can't find anything.