Spitfire Conversion. Revell 1/32 Spit IX to Aussie VIII.

26 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Looking good so far,..... this is a nice kit and I did the same conversion when the kit first came out,....... here is a link if it is of interest? I found some pics of the real Spit `Havagojo' which came in useful when painting it included where to weather it;

Good luck with the model,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the link, Tony !!

Any help is good help ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Longbow said:

I’ll be amazed if it all fits in place, once done. 

I'd guess you're amazed then....

Who needs expensive Tamiya kits when you can beat a Revell one into submission!!

Nice work on the cockpit Lee. 👍

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Cockpit looking good and good to know the wing to fuselage joint is good.

Chris

Thanks, Chris !!

31 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I'd guess you're amazed then....

Who needs expensive Tamiya kits when you can beat a Revell one into submission!!

Nice work on the cockpit Lee. 👍

I had to take the pry-bar off the door, and use it ;)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Should this joint be filled ?

It is a panel line but should not be to prominent IMHO

Very nice work so far Lee this is going to be a stunner when completed

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

It is a panel line but should not be to prominent IMHO

Very nice work so far Lee this is going to be a stunner when completed

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger !!

I wasn’t sure if it was a panel line, or not. 

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great progress , this is good to see that it is all going together well and quick too.

Looking good 

Chris

Thanks, Chris !!

Still a long way to go, yet. 

But, the tail is on. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Does anyone have and advice on the prop assembly, please...

Looks as though have to assemble, to clean up, and then paint, which means masking the props. 

spacer.png

I would paint the blades seperately then mask with Tamiya tape. Once done glue them into the base and adjust the spinner on to it. Sand the spinner as smooth as possible (these did get a bit banged up so don't need to be perfect). Last paint the color needed and bobs your uncle. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would paint the blades seperately then mask with Tamiya tape. Once done glue them into the base and adjust the spinner on to it. Sand the spinner as smooth as possible (these did get a bit banged up so don't need to be perfect). Last paint the color needed and bobs your uncle. 

Thank you !!

That is probably the best bet. 

Right now I’m just fiddling with bits, a little extra filling, undercarriage legs, cannon, etc. 

Tomorrow I’ll sand everything again, and focus on the tail wheel and heat forming the doors. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

For prop blades and spinner I normally paint the blade tips yellow, mask off a scale 4 inches then paint the black, using Blu Tac I assemble the spinner and base then paint them, here is my Hawker Tempest effort.

spacer.png

Mask off and paint the black, I use Xtracolor Night, hence the gloss finish, then I use Satin varnish and assemble..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire
Hit wrong button
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another possibility is to cut off the mounting pegs on each prop blade root (where it attaches to the spinner back plate). Assemble the whole spinner, smooth it all off and paint it separately. Meanwhile you can paint the prop blades separately and just glue them into the holes (worked for me - it protects the blades while you're fixing up the spinner.)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Another possibility is to cut off the mounting pegs on each prop blade root (where it attaches to the spinner back plate). Assemble the whole spinner, smooth it all off and paint it separately. Meanwhile you can paint the prop blades separately and just glue them into the holes (worked for me - it protects the blades while you're fixing up the spinner.)

Good idea....

Im just worried I wouldn’t get the blade angle correct...

2 minutes ago, nicholas mayhew said:

impressive building, but i just can't help think how much more impressive your skills would be if turned to the Tamiya VIII!

LOL... I’m not paying $160+ for a kit :D

Seriously... The chances of me messing up, far outweigh the chances of a successful finish. 
If I’m going to devolve into a slow train wreck, I’d rather it be on a $40 investment. 

The Bf 109 in the group build, and this Spit, are just for testing out new things, as I’ve always been primarily an Armor builder. 

• Like 1