Spitfire Conversion. Revell 1/32 Spit IX to Aussie VIII.

Hi guys....

After completing the 109 F4 in the Group Build, I wanted to work on something while waiting on the Hellcat GB. 

I’d like to preface this by saying that my AC knowledge is extremely limited, as I’ve focused on armor since getting back into the hobby a few years ago. 

Anyway, the Revell kit is pretty well known, so I’ll forego the usual box and sprue shots. 

First thing to tackle is the incorrect wing bulge issue. 

spacer.png

After doing the first one, and losing some surrounding detail, I had to re-scribe and re-rivet a little. 
This is the first time I’ve done scribing, and used a sharp dental pick for the task. Then some Tamiya Extra thin. 

At that point, I suddenly thought... “Idiot... Should have masked off the surround !!”

spacer.png

Once again, a little detail had to be replaced, but nothing drastic. 
The masking turned out to be a benefit. 

spacer.png

So, with the wings at an acceptable level, and multiple touch ups...

We ended up with this. 
Not great by any standards, but at least the ghost of the bulge, is just a ghost, and should be less visible with primer and paint. 

spacer.png

Next up we’re the upper leading edge. 
I understand, from what I’ve read, that the rivets were filled, so the upper leading edges were sanded, primed, sanded again, and primed again, with Mr. Surfacer 1000. 
And then sanded again. 

spacer.png

The wing mounted fuel tanks will be scribed, and sanded, and primed, once the wing upper and lower are joined. 

Thanks for looking in, and any suggestions are always welcome !!

Lee. 

• Like 10

Next up is the cockpit wall step, which seems to be a problem, and places the rear section of the canopy behind the cockpit seat mounting bulkhead. 

So, this was corrected, by adding a mil or so to the fuselage, and losing the step at the cockpit door. 

I have no idea if this is correct, so any comments are welcome. 
If it alters the rear canopy section compared to known measurements, please let me know, but it should be covered by the open canopy. 

spacer.png

Thanks for stopping by...

More to follow. 

Once a bit more is done. 

Lee. 

Edited by Longbow
  • Like 9

Nice, will tag along, not an expert either myself but there are some very knowledgeable person here.  

It looks a nice kit, got a couple if Revell MkIXs in the stash one to be as is and the other to convert to a MkXIV using AA Productions kit.

Good luck with your build 

Great start so far.

Chris

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice, will tag along, not an expert either myself but there are some very knowledgeable person here.  

It looks a nice kit, got a couple if Revell MkIXs in the stash one to be as is and the other to convert to a MkXIV using AA Productions kit.

Good luck with your build 

Great start so far.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. 
It’s not going to be perfect by a long shot, but we’ll see where it goes... ;)

• Like 1

With the wings together, and wingtips on. 
Waiting for everything to set up for sanding, filling, and more sanding LOL...

spacer.png

Started working on the horrendous Revell cockpit. 
The only thing Not lacking, are the sink holes....

spacer.png

Once the wings are set, I can cut the flaps to the correct VIII size. 
Then I have to think about the tail wheel opening, and scratch the doors. 

• Like 6

The IP and bulkheads are drilled out, and tidied up a little. 
I have to fabricate the seats armored plate, yet. 
I should probably remove the headrest too. 
I don’t “think” the VIII had them (?)

spacer.png

• Like 5

I like they way you build, it's nice to be 100% accurate but it's a hobby and you should enjoy the build not fret over the little things, just do your best.

I am not an expert but I have a lot of notes from the late Edgar who was, so looking at his notes I found that the head rest was discontinued on all marks from 20/07/1942, he did go on to say that this did not include Seafires.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I like they way you build, it's nice to be 100% accurate but it's a hobby and you should enjoy the build not fret over the little things, just do your best.

I am not an expert but I have a lot of notes from the late Edgar who was, so looking at his notes I found that the head rest was discontinued on all marks from 20/07/1942, he did go on to say that this did not include Seafires.

Cheers

Dennis

I shall remove the offending object ;)

Thank you !!

Hey, very nice work Lee, you have a knack of picking just the right details to add or correct to make an accurate conversion without making a meal of it. 

I'll be watching from now on 👍

• Like 2

Just now, Alan P said:

Hey, very nice work Lee, you have a knack of picking just the right details to add or correct to make an accurate conversion without making a meal of it. 

I'll be watching from now on 👍

Thanks, Alan !!

Im quite enjoying researching little changes. 

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Room for one more?

Very nice start on this one I'll follow along if I may.

Stay safe            Roger

4 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Lovely neat work here.

And, as others have said, you've got a refreshingly honest and realistic approach to corrections and improvements.

:like:

SD

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

And room for me too?

Impressive (and rapid) start :) and I agree with t’others about your judgment on the corrections to make (and skill in making them).

Thank you, Gentlemen... 

The more the merrier ;)

I was able to get a few things completed last night, but I’m at work now. 

I was able to clean up the tale wheel cut, and fill and sand, re-scribe, around the tale area. 

The ting fuel tanks were also scribed, and will have to be filled and sanded later. 
They are a little hard to see in the pix. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Not sure what you are after but to cure loads of micro bubbles in a resin kits wings I airbrushed Mr Surfacer, thinned with Mr Color thinner over the wings and sanded it down, worked a treat.

The relevant section of the build is below.

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Not sure what you are after but to cure loads of micro bubbles in a resin kits wings I airbrushed Mr Surfacer, thinned with Mr Color thinner over the wings and sanded it down, worked a treat.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you, Dennis !!