The Skin of a Fox - Dora Wings 1/72 Westland Lysander MkIII (SD)

Hi There,

This one has been in the pile for a wee while and I'm still certain that I probably don't have the skills to do it justice but I'm going for it anyway.

WXO1KqP.jpg

mTkqTjA.jpg

iv10liZ.jpg

R2gqkqS.jpg

OPxrHUS.jpg

FabvhrA.jpg

aMSSyLs.jpg

BIdKuDo.jpg

VT16xsz.jpg

Transfers will be applied from this set.

sX4otOJ.jpg

NCBZsLZ.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 17

23 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Excellent. I have the same kit and will follow to see how it goes together.

Welcome aboard.

You should as least find out how not to do it.

19 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks like a comprehensive kit Alistair.   Great choice.  Will follow with interest fella. 

Your like a machine .

Chris

Cheers Chris,

Says the man with numerous builds on the go at once. 😀

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

I hope a "stretch goal" helps build your skills and confidence, Alistair.  The DK decals should be the icing on the cake.  Looks to be a good kit overall, I've heard good things about Dora.  

The seat belt etchings don't look like the Sutton harness I'd expect, more like the typical Yank pattern belts-- is that right for the Lysander?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

A fascinating subject and a challenging kit. What’s not to like? Settling down with th e popcorn for this one! 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

Ach we'll give it a go.

Sweet or salted or both?

3 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I hope a "stretch goal" helps build your skills and confidence, Alistair.  The DK decals should be the icing on the cake.  Looks to be a good kit overall, I've heard good things about Dora.  

The seat belt etchings don't look like the Sutton harness I'd expect, more like the typical Yank pattern belts-- is that right for the Lysander?

If I don't try to push myself I'm not going to get better and if I make a pigs ear out of it I've have at least learned some lessons to take forward.

I don't think that the belts are right either. I'll be hunting through the spares for something more suitable or getting the masking tape out.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Sweet or salted or both?

Salted caramel. Best of both worlds.

I don't know if you've come across this:

There's quite a lot of non-modelling related stuff to wade through but you might pick up some helpful pointers for the kit and if nothing else, it'll serve as a reminder to keep the work-in-progress out of reach of your offspring.

Craig.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Salted caramel. Best of both worlds.

I don't know if you've come across this:

There's quite a lot of non-modelling related stuff to wade through but you might pick up some helpful pointers for the kit and if nothing else, it'll serve as a reminder to keep the work-in-progress out of reach of your offspring.

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

I'd been reading young Edwards thread when he was posting it and I will be referring to it for help when I inevitably need it.

Thankfully I have no young offspring left about the place.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

There's quite a lot of non-modelling related stuff to wade through

Arguably those are the best bits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh I absolutely agree. I firmly believe that all the entertaining, non-modelling bit that appear in Britmodeller threads are what gives the site its unique charm.  I didn’t want Alistair to be disappointed if he went to page 1 and expected 18 closely written pages of Lysander building tips!

Craig. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

Not at all.

6 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

non-modelling bit that appear in Britmodeller threads are what gives the site its unique charm.  

You are so right Craig.

@Procopius threads are a marvel to read and behold. Written in an erudite and charming manner with real humanity thrown in to keep us both entertained and in no doubt about what is important in this life.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh and plastic has been cut I'm just desperately trying to plan a sensible way to do this whilst trying to figure out which part of the instructions are right and which are wrong.

Luckily I noticed that there is a recessed ring in the cowling to fit the resin piece and another for the engine which means I'll need to build the cowling around the engine rather than build it first which the instruction would have me do.

There may be some photos later when I waken up properly.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

I'm actually working on the same kit right now, Alistair, though yours is the 72023 box and mine the 72024 - perhaps yours is an older edition, or maybe just a different decal set?

I don't know how much you can rely on the recessed ring in the cowling for the resin piece. It may depend on how finely you can trim down the resin ring. I couldn't !!! So I sliced out the edge of the recess, and even then found I had a millimetre gap between the sides of the exhaust outlet. An easy fill, though.

Right now I'm building the seat, stick, and pedals and trying to work out if I'm developing arthritis in my left hand, or just suffering cramp - these parts are tiny.

Anyways, eventually it should turn out like R1992, as this may have been the aircraft my dad flew in (as a passenger) while he was in Egypt. Obvs, it might not have been this exact one as I have no idea how many Lysanders they had there at the time, but it's a possibility that works for me.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209180

I'm not going to do a WIP as I'm a bit cr*p at that, but I'll check in to compare notes. 🙂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sandeha Lynch said:

I'm actually working on the same kit right now, Alistair, though yours is the 72023 box and mine the 72024 - perhaps yours is an older edition, or maybe just a different decal set?

I don't know how much you can rely on the recessed ring in the cowling for the resin piece. It may depend on how finely you can trim down the resin ring. I couldn't !!! So I sliced out the edge of the recess, and even then found I had a millimetre gap between the sides of the exhaust outlet. An easy fill, though.

Right now I'm building the seat, stick, and pedals and trying to work out if I'm developing arthritis in my left hand, or just suffering cramp - these parts are tiny.

Anyways, eventually it should turn out like R1992, as this may have been the aircraft my dad flew in (as a passenger) while he was in Egypt. Obvs, it might not have been this exact one as I have no idea how many Lysanders they had there at the time, but it's a possibility that works for me.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205209180

I'm not going to do a WIP as I'm a bit cr*p at that, but I'll check in to compare notes. 🙂

hi there,

Mine is the first released version. According to Scalemates there are new parts in yours.

Thanks for the info about the recess I've been staring at it for a wee while now and will see how it goes.

The parts are pretty small aren't they and getting them properly aligned is interesting.

Just waiting for full time in the football and I might just cut some photo etch and fit that.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

As I said plastic has been cut and some glue applied.

NfgBYoX.jpg

I tried a dry fit of the fuselage halves and they went together beautifully. Whether it'll stay that way when the innards are put in is another question.

Thanks to @Sandeha Lynch I checked the fit of the resin part and found it needed a little more sanding then a dry fit with the cowling.

fVu8iK4.jpg

I'll take that.

I drilled the oil coolers out a bit.

9pZ8zAE.jpg

B2fPEXd.jpg

B0vb5Lw.jpg

The extra fuel tank may require some more work.

wK9imFv.jpg

Some PPP was applied to the elevators and wings.

FzNfEDT.jpg

TYhYlGL.jpg

Just might need another round there.

And finally,

Some right fiddly bits stuck together.

TiCosdr.jpg

YyNJ9lz.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Nice start Alistair. What glue did you use for attaching the etch?

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

For those etch parts it was just pound shop super glue.

For something I would need some wiggle room with for positioning I usually go for Krystal Klear. It's a slow dry but it gives you time to position stuff properly.

I never managed to get hold of any Gator's Grip, always wanted to try it but that'll not happen now.

Cheers,

Alistair

Nice start! I'll be at the bar with my beer and peanuts.

I too was sad to hear of GG's demise but I believe it was due to hurricane damage. Fortunately I have 2 bottles of both normal and thin, I just hope they don't go solid before I need them!

Ian

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Nice start! I'll be at the bar with my beer and peanuts.

I too was sad to hear of GG's demise but I believe it was due to hurricane damage. Fortunately I have 2 bottles of both normal and thin, I just hope they don't go solid before I need them!

Ian

Thanks and welcome aboard.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Oh but the slats, the slats...!

@wombat raises an interesting point. Are you going to carry out major surgery on the wings so that you can have the slats and flaps in  realistic positions, or are you going to raise your eyes to the heavens, whistle tunelessly and ignore the whole issue? (I would not blame you in the slightest for following this course)

Craig.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

@wombat raises an interesting point. Are you going to carry out major surgery on the wings so that you can have the slats and flaps in  realistic positions, or are you going to raise your eyes to the heavens, whistle tunelessly and ignore the whole issue? (I would not blame you in the slightest for following this course)

Craig.

There's going to be a lot of whistling from this here part of the world, squire. :whistle:

• Haha 3

Assuming your exploded diagrams are the same as mine, Alistair, take a close look at the blue arrow from E33, and see how it leads to the wrong position in the cage! The A-frame holds the gunner's seat , but no point positioning it under the Brownings!

It's clear enough when you look at the drawing of the assembled cage, but it's a bad arrow-fail !!

The extra parts in my version seem to be just the bomb panniers on the wheels mounts. A dozen bombs, and some 50+ pieces of photo-etch to make the hangers and carriers for them. It looks ridiculously delicate to build them up, but fortunately I won't be needing them!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sandeha Lynch said:

Assuming your exploded diagrams are the same as mine, Alistair, take a close look at the blue arrow from E33, and see how it leads to the wrong position in the cage! The A-frame holds the gunner's seat , but no point positioning it under the Brownings!

It's clear enough when you look at the drawing of the assembled cage, but it's a bad arrow-fail !!

The extra parts in my version seem to be just the bomb panniers on the wheels mounts. A dozen bombs, and some 50+ pieces of photo-etch to make the hangers and carriers for them. It looks ridiculously delicate to build them up, but fortunately I won't be needing them!

Thanks,

I had spotted that issue from the picture of the assembled cage.

I won't be needing the brownings or my version thankfully and am very glad that I don't have to deal with that amount of etch. :yahoo:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1